2005 Bricks & Bouquets

IMO, Crossfire doesn't start to begin to get serious until into 2006.

Oh, and seeing as many of you like the Xenos article (thanks) here a link to it so you can read it again! (Only 6 months old and up to the No. 4 position on most hit articles).

geo said:
A little help from someone, please. Am I right that Xenos, at roughly 3M (the number I heard) will be biggest seller high-end GPU? How many G70 have NV sold this year, roughly? Also, I was trying to remember what I'd heard on selling price of high-end gpus, and I thot that somewhere earlier this year we saw an indication it was in the neighborhood of $150 --anyone else remember that?

No idea how many NVDA has sold, but considering that MSFT is absorbing a significant loss on each console, it tends to make Xenos a tad easier to sell than G70. ;)

And yes, there was recent speculation from an iSuppli analyst that Xenos is costing MSFT about $141 a pop.

kemosabe said:
No idea how many NVDA has sold, but considering that MSFT is absorbing a significant loss on each console, it tends to make Xenos a tad easier to sell than G70. ;)

No question at all. Would you also agree that NV's margins --which they are crowing about-- on G70 have a little impact there as well? ;) At any rate, thanks for confirming that price range I thot I remembered. . .

Dave Baumann said:
(Only 6 months old and up to the No. 4 position on most hit articles).
Just for the sake of interest, what are the top 10 most hit articles? :cool:

geo said:
No question at all. Would you also agree that NV's margins --which they are crowing about-- on G70 have a little impact there as well? ;)

Don't get me started. I can picture Orton having recurring nightmares about Huang's CC comment to the effect that NVDA was generating record margins despite competing against the competition's "written-off" inventory. You think someone's fantasizing about payback? :LOL:

Dave Baumann said:
IMO, Crossfire doesn't start to begin to get serious until into 2006.

Well, if there's a perception problem who's fault is that!?

Dave Baumann said:
Oh, and seeing as many of you like the Xenos article (thanks) here a link to it so you can read it again! (Only 6 months old and up to the No. 4 position on most hit articles).

D'oh! Fixed in mine (and the interview). I'm so bloody awful at that hyperlinking under text thing I didn't even try with the others I mentioned further down.

Great thread! I won't make my own list seeing how virtually Geo and Rys already did sum up my mind.

And, from a technonlogical POV, I'd give the C1 an awards for introducing the USA on the market.

Note that, care to explain me what the Sander Sassen incident is all about exactly?
Rys said:
If it were a console-only, closed book, nothing to see here as far as PC parts go, I'd be a lot less interested.
Consoles for life! You're so dead to me Rys! So dead!

The beauty of Jaguar's Tom and Jerry, the incredible power of the PSone GTE, the greatness of the dreamcast couple SH4 and CLX, could never be topped by the untapped power residing under an heavy coat of not so optimized graphic APIs as found on the PC GPUs!*

Consoles for life!

The success of Xenos Article just show how much we need a Consoles part to the site (Or a the old-project, the small sister-site dedicated for consoles only). *wink* *wink* *nudge* *Nudge*

*It's a joke, I'm not seriously doing any comparison between the weak and past its prime PC platform and the developing platforms of choices of the best developers in the world, talking about the incredibly more balanced Consoles**

**This might also contain a joke. You could never know with me.

Vysez said:
Consoles for life! You're so dead to me Rys! So dead!
:LOL: You bastard, you know what I mean! I don't have a x360 devkit, so I can't poke around and really get interested in that console like I can on the PC. If only I could run my own codes, like I do on a PC to see what's up.....

So yes, very much consoles for life, but they don't make it easy for me to really enjoy the hardware. Christ, I can't even get the inside scoop from someone I could trust, because Wavey is the one with the glory hole access to ATI :LOL:

Rys said:
I don't have a x360 devkit, so I can't poke around and really get interested in that console like I can on the PC. If only I could run my own codes, like I do on a PC to see what's up.....
If we had a Console section up on the site, a few phone calls would suffice, and we'll have at least one XeDK on someone's desk (The XeDK is meant for taking framebuffer screenshots. But there's so much more one could do with it...). *wink* *wink*

Oh, and stop showing disrespect to Consoles in public! Man, that's not a thing to do.
geo said:
Little man so spic and span, where were you when the sh*t hit the fan?
17 Sep. Did you really have to remind me about my internet-less adventures? :cry:

I would like to add another category.

Unlikely duo of the Year: Fuad Abazovic and Lars Weinand dancing flamengo together.

:LOL:

Kombatant said:
I would like to add another category.

Unlikely duo of the Year: Fuad Abazovic and Lars Weinand dancing flamengo together.

:LOL:
Yes, complete and utter :LOL: x infinity at that.

Kombatant and I sat at the same table and laughed. Someone must have a video :?: :!:

Rys said:
1). Viddy Card of the Year: 7800 GT
2). Disappointment of the Year: X1800 XT's cooler

I would have to choose the X1800 XL for various reasons and despite the XT's cooler being loud, I like the fact that it draws cool air in from the front and exhausts it out the back of the case, unlike any of nvidia's approaches.

Vysez said:
17 Sep. Did you really have to remind me about my internet-less adventures? :cry:

Ah! Well then it's my own fault anyway, as I was the one tasked with catching you up. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Video card of the year: A-I-W X1800XL for a $429 MSRP you get the X1800XL+ TV+FM Radio :) but I'm just a bit partial because despite having a 512MB 7800GTX sitting in a bag nex and getting a X1800XT on Monday for review, the card I like the most is in my personal computer and 7800GT because for $300 USD, it's the best bang for the buck card available.

Deathlike2 said:
I was saying the Adaptive AA should be the honorable mention (I may just need to bold what I wrote earlier :p ). I definately think Super AA doesn't deserve the honorable mention.. since part of the problem is that I doubt many people have gotten Crossfire systems (and we have yet to see X1800 Crossfire versions yet) and NVidia did a similar thing to Super AA like what ATI did with respect to transparency AA.

It's hard to find anything real innovative this year though IMO.

See, the problem tho is I have a hard time justifying Adaptive AA in the "innovation" catagory. I think it's wonderful, but it clearly was second and I have a strong sense reactive to NV's Transparency AA. Maybe a catagory called "Anything you can do, I can do better" (you have to humm it tho from Annie Get Your Gun. :smile: ). And then we'd have to consider ATI SM3 as well, and whatever it was NV called their version of Super AA (I'm blanking at the moment). :LOL:

Good points, all. I'd have to give the nod to the GTX and GT as cards of the year, just b/c NV executed the heck out of their launches, and they're still mighty competitive at MSRP (to say nothing of street pricing). ATI gets the assist. ;)

But, yeah, C1/Xenos deserves props, too. Apparently it's as timely as G70 was, and it's certainly more innovative ("trapped" as it is in a console shell, tho Dave's article shed a lot of light).

I sometimes forget when happens when ( it goes so fast when you are my age ) so apologies if some of these are 2004 !

1). Video Card of the Year: Either X800XL or the Sapphire X800GTO2

2). Disappointment of the Year: Ati X1600. I can understand Ati having problems with a new chipset but at least when it does arrive it will be fast ! The X1600 is late AND slow.

3). Innovation of the Year: Cards available on the same day as being announced

4). Most promising trend of the year: Doubling. Doubling cpu's, doubling gpu's, doubling Pcie bandwidth, doubling doubles soon ?? ;)

5). Most discouraging trend of the year: Doubling of required ££

6). Dan Rather "Courage" Award: Kyle [H]ardass Bennett for coming on B3d when he was wrong and still managing to appear like Goliath as the puny spears of truth bounced off his [H]ardass.... I didn't know whether to cheer or boo him.

7). Person in the Industry/Community I most wanted to stick a sock in their mouth: Nobody, I quite like the "characters". You wouldn't want to be bored to death like they are in the hard drive forums woulf you ?

9). Interview of the Year: Sampsa's interview with Dave Orton

10). Article of the Year: Very easy to select a B3D article on technical merit however I have to say that Xbit labs and Toms hardware testing of LCD panels have really intrigued me, due to my little knowledge on the subject.

11). Speciality niche reporting: I quite like Josh's stuff at Penstar, maybe I should give Josh question #6 as well for writing a piece, mentioning it here on B3D and then having to listen to Dave saying it was complete bollox :D Brave man, keep it up !

12). Other articles I just felt like giving some love to: MikesHardware web site, good historical reference and good future rumours. Doesn't seem to be massively financed but always fairly up to date.

dizietsma said:
1). Video Card of the Year: Sapphire X800GTO2
Yeah I would actually agree, I like the killer deal cards, that is why I put the one I did. The only problem with that card is that it was an artifact of a mistake more than a savvy decision.

Back