Sam and Max
Sea Dogs 2
Shining Lore
Starwars KOTOR
Sudeki
Tao Feng
Thief 2
Tork

An impressive lineup that adds to Xbox current pool of great western games. Can Sony or Nintendo match that :?:

And there you have it folks, that is precisely why i believe the western market will soon belong to MS. :oops:

Last Ninja is coming to GC
HL2 is only rumored to be coming to XBox
and I see a lot of stuff I played on PC last year.
Unmatched? being 90% of that list is coming to my PC first?

Vince, that is purely due to the PS2 userbase being so much higher.

I know I've hit a sore spot with you Vince. You're the one who think MGS 2 had a good story, but you're in the minority on that point. As the technical gap closes between Japanese and Western dev houses, the presentation and subject matter are going to be of paramount importance. Fruity Japanese stuff isn't going to cut it for many gamers, regardless of how well coded it is.

GTA3 is selling PS2s. Halo and Splinter Cell is selling Xbox. Metroid Prime is selling Gamecubes. All of these western developed titles.

There are some exceptions like Devil May Cry 2, Ninja Gaiden, and Zelda coming up that are highly anticipated Japanese games, but over time most of the strictly Japanese games are going to recede in popularity. They won't disappear, but they aren't going to be critical to market success.

PS: Good games don't appeal to any audience. Mario Sunshine is a good game that none of my friends (about 20 of them) would ever play. The subject matter doesn't appeal to them. This will become critical in the years ahead.

PS2 cannot always keep selling and selling.
I believe last year was Sony's peak. Things will slow down from then on. On the contary, MS is picking up pace.
I won't even bother answering to this, as it's just wishful thinking from the non "anti MS horde".

MS has also shown it is capable of playing around with the money hats, bundles! price cuts! free Xboxes!
And how much has it helped? In the most vital month, PS2 run rate has actually increased...

Not to forget the GRAPHICS! The gap is widening there too! Casuals love GRAPHIX!
First of all, you have no clue how little casuals care about the graphics. If that was holding any truth, GTA3 & VC would not be million sellers like they are. Besides that, some of the announced PS2 games to many look as impressive as anything on other consoles.

PS2 is losing more and more exclusive western games AFAIK
And what western games exactly has PS2 lost? Here's a brief list of western PS2 exclusives for 2003:
Getaway, Amplitude, Red Dead Revolver (Capcom USA), Primal, Tomb Raider AOD, Grand Prix Challenge, Ghost Hunter, Pro Evolution Soccer 2 (Konami Europe or Konami Japan, I'm not sure), Def Jam Vendetta, Fear Effect Inferno, GTA Vegas (or GTA online, I'm not sure). Those are some that I care enough to actually know if they are exclusive or not.

GTA3 is selling PS2s.
Just as Gran Turismo 3 was selling them before GTA3 came along, and most likely still does. Not to mention MGS2, which also did it's own share when it comes to selling consoles.

I have to agree with Johnny, if you account for userbase and tie-rates, technically the Xbox western titles are drastically outselling the Japanese PS2 titles...

I have to agree with Johnny, if you account for userbase and tie-rates, technically the Xbox western titles are drastically outselling the Japanese PS2 titles...
You simply cannot scale userbase and sold game units like that. That's nonsense. The more consoles are sold, the more varied market penetration they have, and the less chance the same percentage of people is going to buy any given game. If all of a sudden Xbox would start selling like crazy to kids, would you think Halo would keep it's ratio of consoles/game sold?

Tagrineth said:

a new thread....Western XB titles vs Japanese PS2 titles :LOL:

btw do I see a hint of Dubya-speak here.... :rolleyes:

Console exclusive western developed games only on Xbox(potential hits!):
Doom 3 (PC)
Halo 2
Perfect Dark 2
Starwars KOTOR (PC)

That´s what I´d consider playing. Western developers should learn a bit or two about Japanese development house and stop pumping so many FPSs clones, though.
Although Johnny considers japanese games to be "fruity", I consider them to be the best games around. The sheer ammount of talent, inspired art style, varied gameplay oportunities and cinematic aproach to me far outweigh the countless FPSs and RPGs western developers make.
They lack "soul", a special feeling, an identity. Every single FPSs looks the same to me, and even when the mechanics are different, they all feel too similar to me.
If japanese game production ceases, this will no longer be my hobby. It may sound drastic, and even childish, but those are the games that have glued me to my seat, the ones that have wowed me ever single time. The ones that have marveled me at how great gaming was.

Japanese games have a different attitude than Western games, and thus the two will always coexist. The Western game maker designs a videogame around an overriding game mechanic, while the Japanese game maker designs a video game around an overriding artistic concept. Games like DoAXBV (more minigame than actual game) and Steel Batallion (a game designed not to sell) are great examples of games that an American dev house would not touch with a 10 yard long pole, yet the Japanese come up with these all the time. In contrast, purely functional games like Quake 3 or Starcraft, designed to satisfy the hard-core competitive gamer, are games that Japanese dev houses would never touch either.

There's nothing "fruity" about Japanese games, nor anything "boring" about Western games, they're just different perspectives on videogaming. The Japanese game is about the whole experience, while the Western game distills itself down to a central game mechanic. Naturally, the Western game lends itself more readily to competition, while the Japanese game lends itself more easily to conversation - which is a lot like the difference between Western and Eastern culture as a whole.

Interestingly enough, certain genres lend themselves much more easily to one mindset or another. All of the good party games are Japanese, over half of them are "Mario" something. Western attempts to emulate the party game have failed miserably, with "Fusion Frenzy" and "Whacked!" stinking up the Xbox shelf with the stench of suckage.

In contrast, the FPS and RTS were invented in America and have pretty much stayed here. From the first "Catacombs 3d" to "DooM"/"Marathon" and all the way to "Halo 2"/"DooM 3", FPS are American bred, and other countries haven't even put up an effort in this genre. Dune 2 and Warcraft first popularized the RTS (there were older RTS, but they sucked) and their descendents, Warcraft III and CnC Generals, remain extremely popular today - with a 3rd competitor, Age of Mythology, coming straight from Microsoft.

Some people are more attracted to the relaxed atmosphere of Japanese games, while others (myself included) prefer the competitiveness of American games. However, to say that a console (Gamecube) is losing because it has too many Japanese games is just ridiculous. Gamecube is losing because of the strengths of the other two consoles, not because of its own weakness.

This is absurd, we're talking about the selling potential and interest of Japanese vs. Western developed games. Thus, it doesn't matter what system the games are on - what matters is that on a system like PS2, which has entered the mainstream pop-culture unlike Xbox or Cube, Japanese games can compete and surpass Western games in sales and popularity.

As I said before, good games sell it doesn't matter what country or hemisphere produces them.

marconelly! said:
You simply cannot scale user base and sold game units like that. That's nonsense.

Exactly, thank your here... heh

I know I've hit a sore spot with you Vince. You're the one who think MGS 2 had a good story, but you're in the minority on that point.

What does this have to do with anything? And your right, I can appreciate a game that touches upon moral and social issues - even if there carefully buried under a fantasy plot and metaphor - I realize you'd rather just blow some shit up, your loss.

Fruity Japanese stuff isn't going to cut it for many gamers, regardless of how well coded it is.

Ever wonder why foreigners hate Americans? Oh, my fault, throw some disemboweled organs and blood on the screen - good game, good times... yes!!

Some people here like to think western games are gaining momentum like there is something new happening. There are alawys been successfull western devs making westen games that pleased western audience.

Lemmings, Mortal Kombat, Aladin on the 16bits, tons of games during the ps1 area (a console that makes ton on money at THQ, EA, Activison), like Driver, Crash Bandicoot, tomb Raider, Vrally, CMR, Spyro, Rayman, Syphon filter , Madden, the list goes on.

There are always game like those and there are always the likes of Metal Gear, FF, Mario, Zelda, Silent Hill, DMC, Onimusha, GT, PES, Sonic, ICO, pokemon, Tekken, Vf, RR.

What games are the xbox western-centric gamers talking about ?? DOAX and PDO, what games were bundled ?? JSRF and Sega GT.

I see quite a balance and it is nice.

chap:
the best way to make your list shine is to avoid looking at what will come on other platforms.But this advice is useless since i have no doubt this is what you're doing ;)

For me ,the simple idea of the release of next ICO team game ,make this list very pale.MGS3 hit also a nail...

In contrast, purely functional games like Quake 3 or Starcraft, designed to satisfy the hard-core competitive gamer, are games that Japanese dev houses would never touch either.
That's not entirely true. What about Virtua Fighter or Tekken series? Those are very much hard-core competitive games, just not in the FPS or RTS genre.

There's no balance when 8 of the top 10 PS2 titles are Western in origin.

My personal preferences have nothing to do with it. Sega is my favorite developer. Panzer Dragoon Orta is one of my favorite Xbox games. I love Skies of Arcadia. Nevertheless, the market is moving away from these Japanese games.

People shouldn't take my comments so personally. I'm not trying to tell people what to like, but merely pointing out a few obvious features of the marketplace.

Western games are gaining popularity. Japanese games are losing popularity. The charts tell the whole story.

Johnny Awesome said:
There's no balance when 8 of the top 10 PS2 titles are Western in origin.

My personal preferences have nothing to do with it. Sega is my favorite developer. Panzer Dragoon Orta is one of my favorite Xbox games. I love Skies of Arcadia. Nevertheless, the market is moving away from these Japanese games.

People shouldn't take my comments so personally. I'm not trying to tell people what to like, but merely pointing out a few obvious features of the marketplace.

Western games are gaining popularity. Japanese games are losing popularity. The charts tell the whole story.

I know what you mean. the fact is : This year was a quiet year as far as japanese offering is concerned. Konami is not there, not because people do not want them, but because they were strong last year and will be back next year. Sega is a pretty bad shape too, because of the DC.

What would have been the chart if DMC2 and Zelda were released by christmas foe example.

Anyway, I agree tht this industry like the movies will be western dominted at the end, the days of EA/THQ/Infogrames ruling the world offering the massmarket what they want is not far away. MAsmarlet is stupid and has no tastes.

wazoo said:
Anyway, I agree tht this industry like the movies will be western dominted at the end, the days of EA/THQ/Infogrames ruling the world offering the massmarket what they want is not far away. MAsmarlet is stupid and has no tastes.

OMG you must be out of you goddamn mind. Only reason why wester movie industry rocks is cuz of god damn Hollywood. You big Americans had a strong foundation to make movies from. You dont however have a strong foundation to make video games from. Just beacuse as developers you no longer care about the game, you just care about how many copys its going to sell and just how much money its going to make. Same thing with all yer movies lately, they ALL SUCK!!!

At least the Japs take it to heart.

Japanese developed games took some sort of a break this year. Although it´s undeniable that the market is taking a liking to mass produced FPS, and other western titles, this year you will see japanese developers making a comeback.

Thats why SONY didnt push too far for online gaming becse they know that it doesnt matter much in current gen though I see them making a big push with PS3....
More like SONY could NOT push online gaming further becasue PS2 is missing a HD and Ethernet Adaptor(addons suck!). :D

some of these games are NOT xbox exclusive, as they will also be available for the PC.

BTW why am i feeding a troll.. i'm so dumb..
Console exclusives.
I am not a troll. :cry:

Chap, jeez, tone it down... you're acting like a fanboi too much.
Sorry there. Too much anti MS vibe on the net is getting to me.

Those that are italic are the ones I'd be getting on my PC.
Not everyone is a hardcore must upgrade annually PC gamer.

Wow, I want quite a few of those
Yup, you sure do! :D

All games in that list I care about will or might be released on PC (Deus Ex 2, Doom 3, Crimson Skies (old game), Half Life 2, Sam and Max, KOTOR, Thief 2). Even Halo 2 and Rallisport might be released on PC at a later date.
That is quite a few there. Halo 2 on PC? Maybe in 2006! :D

and I see a lot of stuff I played on PC last year.
Unmatched? being 90% of that list is coming to my PC first?
90% PC first? :LOL:

I won't even bother answering to this, as it's just wishful thinking from the non "anti MS horde".
? And how much has it helped? In the most vital month, PS2 run rate has actually increased...
Comparing the sales now, I am going to say that Xbox sales will be closer to PS2's by the end of this generation. Overtake? NO. Catchup? YES!
You can save that in your HD and come back to me in a few years time! 8)

And what western games exactly has PS2 lost? Here's a brief list of western PS2 exclusives for 2003:
Getaway, Amplitude, Red Dead Revolver (Capcom USA), Primal, Tomb Raider AOD, Grand Prix Challenge, Ghost Hunter, Pro Evolution Soccer 2 (Konami Europe or Konami Japan, I'm not sure), Def Jam Vendetta, Fear Effect Inferno, GTA Vegas (or GTA online, I'm not sure). Those are some that I care enough to actually know if they are exclusive or not.
Nice list, but comparing to Xbox western lineup? Heheh!

the best way to make your list shine is to avoid looking at what will come on other platforms.
Console Xclusives! Consoles War! :)

Although it´s undeniable that the market is taking a liking to mass produced FPS, and other western titles
Thanks to Halo. :)

Although it´s undeniable that the market is taking a liking to mass produced FPS, and other western titles, this year you will see japanese developers making a comeback.
They need something new. Enough of the FF10s SH20s Mario30s. j/k :p

Back