2003: The year of the Xbox

yes, we can, being it actually has some decent texturing and antialiasing.
PS2 always has the worst looking version, if you are not aware of that by now, you need to read more.

CaptainHowdy:

> yes, we can, being it actually has some decent texturing and
> antialiasing.

I don't expect them to redo the textures and there is really no reason why the PS2 version should be more aliased than the other ones.

> PS2 always has the worst looking version, if you are not aware of that
> by now, you need to read more.

Whatever.

Some of the games I know that turned out best on PS2:

MGS2
NFS:HP2
Spy Hunter
Onimusha (the Xbox version actually looks blander)

Some of the games I know that are at the very least not the worst looking on PS2:

BG:DA (Xbox and PS2 versions simillar, GC version has bad framerate)
SSX:Tricky (GC and Xbox versions have more slowdown)
MOH:FL (GC version looks virtually identical to PS2 version, with slowdowns and all)

actually, Spyhunter on Xbox won the head to heads.

I mean, granted, if having muddy textures, pixlelization, low framerates and loose control are your idea of BETTER, then I give....

Gamespot doesn't think so. After all, who cares. If that's your only amend to my list, we can cheerfuly conclude that you have been dead-wrong in your original statement.

marconelly! said:
Gamespot doesn't think so. After all, who cares. If that's your only amend to my list, we can cheerfuly conclude that you have been dead-wrong in your original statement.

gamespot does one generic review for all three systems

"The PlayStation 2 is home to the usual issues, including lower resolution texture work and shimmering due to lack of proper filtering"

that is a quote from IGN's head to head on TS2... I think it sums up everything I said nicely..notice the words USUAL ISSUES, meaning, these issues usually pop up on PS2 games.

From Gamespot:
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/reviews/0,10867,2854220-2,00.html
While most of the Spy Hunter experience has been deftly translated from the PlayStation 2 to the Xbox, the graphics have taken a bit of a hit in the process. The Interceptor, the enemy vehicles, and the environments they occupy still look just as sharp, but the framerates aren't quite as consistent as in the PS2 version.There are some other minor curiosities about Spy Hunter's graphics, like the black armored car's ability to magically appear on the other side of your car if you push them up against a wall, but the other big complaint is that the entire game looks dark and muddled, as though it were being viewed through a pair of cheap sunglasses. When comparing the Xbox version to the PlayStation 2 version side by side, it literally looks like night and day.

I think it sums up everything I said nicely..notice the words USUAL ISSUES, meaning, these issues usually pop up on PS2 games.
Let the backpedalling begin. What you said was:

PS2 always has the worst looking version, if you are not aware of that by now, you need to read more.

and:

PS2 has been the native platform for just about every Multiconsole release to date, and they never turn out the best

Case closed.

glad you found the needle in the haystack..
so I change never to Rarely.. still doesnt change the argument..
and it doesnt make me any less right.

with no texture compression, small texture cache...
no antialiasing, and even when done without hardware, no
anisotropic filtering to pretty those already lousy textures back up..
if the cube or Xbox's hardware is used with any care at all, the PS2
can not match them no matter how hard it tries. Its just a plain and simple fact.

Actually, I heard that the Xbox MoH:FL was the best looking of the three, not to mention the DD audio (which is well suited for a game like this).

'Rarely' is very much different than 'Never' so yes, your argument clearly wasn't right. It didn't really help that you even tried to call on someone's reading abilities over that particular argument. I guess you should prepare it more carefully, next time you want to be a smartass.

Actually, I heard that the Xbox MoH:FL was the best looking of the three, not to mention the DD audio (which is well suited for a game like this).
Yes, it is best looking on Xbox, but PS2 and GC versions look pretty much the same. That's why I cathegorized it into the second group.

marconelly! said:
'Rarely' is very much different than 'Never' so yes, your argument clearly wasn't right. It didn't really help that you even tried to call on someone's reading abilities over that particular argument. I guess you should prepare it more carefully, next time you want to be a smartass.

Yes, it is best looking on Xbox, but PS2 and GC versions look pretty much the same. That's why I cathegorized it into the second group.

first off, I didnt bash anyones reading abilities, I said if they believe the PS2 has the best versions, they need to read more, as in, read more reviews instead of assuming so because they wish it was true..

as for MOH:FL, GC has better textures and framerate than the PS2 version, and I dont recall 4 player splitscreen in the PS2 version...

I agree that sticking to exclusives is the right way to proceed:

1st Quarter:

New Mechs/Maps/Modes for MechAssault (Live)
New Missions for Splinter Cell (Live)
Dead Or Alive Xtreme Volleyball
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Crimson Skies
Midtown Madness 3 (Live)
Ninja Gaiden
Torq

2nd Quarter:

Brute Force
Counterstike (Live)
Duality
Kameo: Elements of Power
Tao Feng
The Unseen
Top Spin Tennis (Live)
Psychonauts

Launch sequels:

Amped 2 (Live)
Halo 2 (Live)
Dead or Alive: Code Chronus
Project Gotham 2 (Live)
Oddworld 2

Second Half:

Fable
BC
Doom III
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders (Live)
Strident
Perfect Dark Zero
Sudeki
True Fantasy Online (Live)

That's a good list. but you missed a few still...

You missed:

Ralisport 2
Crimson skies

hmm, let me see if I can think of others...

....come on children, now, stop arguing....

....u will all have good games on whatever platform u have.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i just hope someone comes up with a VGA box for ps2 here in europe before ps3 comes out...

Qroach:

> not as far as ID is concerned.

Todd Hollenshead said it might be ported to the Cube. Both he and Carmack have dismissed PS2 OTOH but I'm absolutely confident Doom III will be ported to every console.

Cybamerc,

Todd Hollenshead said it might be ported to the Cube.

I don't recall that. I remrmber them saying that they weren't sure about gamecube since they didn't know much about the hardware.

Both he and Carmack have dismissed PS2 OTOH but I'm absolutely confident Doom III will be ported to every console.

Well for good reason, half the technology they are using isn't avaible on PS2 (specifically the dot3 bump mapping). What makes you so much more certain thant carmack?? IF the game is ever ported to PS2 (which i don't think will happen) you can forget the shadows and dot3 bump mapping and possibly the unified lighting model. that would make the game look pretty different IMO (and not in a good way).

Back