2 options

yea im not oing to get my pc till the end of june so im hoping prices go down a bit

and yea ill probably get the new core or somehting

1 question say i get the pc now ill most likely get this mobo
MSI K8N NEO4-F nForce4 Chipset
will the new core venice work on that?

A64 3500+ venice + PC4000 or low latency ram + X800 XL + overclocking = Best system for the least amount of money.

ANova said:
A64 3500+ venice + PC4000 or low latency ram + X800 XL + overclocking = Best system for the least amount of money.

This may be true if you plan on overclocking. However, if you plan on running stock speeds you would be better off putting the premium you pay for low latency memory or memory that can operate beyond the official specifications towards a beefier CPU (or even a stronger HDD or mainboard). You may be able to purchase a 3800+ and "plain boring DDR-400" at the same price as a 3500+ with low latency/PC-4000 memory. I would recommend the faster CPU option.

right now with the money i can spend the most i can get with is is
amd 3500+
1 gig geil value ram
geforce 6800 GT
160 gig hd

it goes a bit over my limit but i think im sticking to that
hopefully by the end of june shit happens and prices go way down 8)

skmanga said:
it goes a bit over my limit but i think im sticking to that
Buying beyond your budget can be a good thing even though it hurts. Performance does not scale perfectly linearly and there are definite stepped jumps at different segments of the market. ALways avoid spending more without taking a step up, but if you find yourself at the end of the step, so to speak, it's probably best to spend that little more to take another step up.

hopefully by the end of june shit happens and prices go way down 8)
The dual core war is ust beginning. Intel is already offering competitive prices, but there is plenty of room for AMD to reduce theirs. This should put pressure on their entire range, which may be bad for AMD but good for you :D

wireframe said:
ANova said:

This may be true if you plan on overclocking. However, if you plan on running stock speeds you would be better off putting the premium you pay for low latency memory or memory that can operate beyond the official specifications towards a beefier CPU (or even a stronger HDD or mainboard). You may be able to purchase a 3800+ and "plain boring DDR-400" at the same price as a 3500+ with low latency/PC-4000 memory. I would recommend the faster CPU option.

But that's no fun. :p

skmanga, is there a reason why you want the 6800 GT? You could save some money by getting the X800 XL which has nearly identical performance.

no real reason i usualy go with nvidia
and the 6800gt is a bit faster
and sm3 for battlefield 2 and age of empires 3 which looks like its going to use sm3, and ultrashadow 2
and i usualy go with nvidia 8)

so yea how dies this sound

amd 3500+
1 gig geil value ram
evga geforce 6800gt
160 gig hd

u guys think this ystem will last me a good while?
without overclocking

It should. And when the need arises there's a good chance that cpu will have considerable headroom for overclocking. And the GT is almost guaranteed to run at Ultra speeds. 1GB RAM will be more than enough for the near future too.

Back