New rig processor quandry...

I pride myself at being good at games, but 6 at once seriously ???

Lol; it was actually a test suite for calibrating my HDTV as my monitor. IIRC, they included DOTA 2, Mass Effect 2, Renegade Ops, Dragon Age, Dolphin Emulator, and Need for Speed. Oh, I also had Chrome w/ 45 tabs open in addition to everything else I mentioned. I wasn't actually playing all of them, but I'm glad that I can; 16 GB of ram sure comes in handy.

I had no direct need for the SSD RAID, other than I really wanted to ;) I love having a single, contiguous storage space for my OS, apps and working data. The whole "fast small partition, slow large partition" is mildly irritating to me, although it could be solved by junctions or other similar redirection tricks.

So yeah, consider the SSD array to be an e-penis extension ;) And yeah, the rig will get 32Gb of ram (in 4Gb sticks.) You can get eight 4Gb DDR3-1600Mhz DIMMs with 7-6-7-7 timings for $200-ish and that's pretty badass IMO.

Sounds like I'm gonna do the SB-E, and I'm considering just changing to a new waterblock to my existing CPU-only dual-120mm radiator loop.

btw if 10 gigabit ethernet reaches the magical point where it becomes mainstream.. you could drop another PCIe, 10 G-baseT card in the rig, and build a raid 5 or 6 or something monster file server or SAN with by then cheap and totally huge hard disks.

e-peen and e-balls!

Monster file server that would still get whupped badly by even a single SSD where performance actually counts; latency. :)

I'm gonna sit on my good ol' Nehalem at least until ivy bridge-E appears, and maybe even haswell. That's where the really exciting stuff will start to happen IMO (although processor tech is always a swiftly moving target of course so you're never going to get 100% satisfied as a silicon gearhead...)

Talking about SSD RAIDs, didn't putting them into one turn TRIM or is that problem solved now?

Technically yes, but most modern SSD's have their own garbage collection now for self cleaning. Consider that I'll be fairly over-provisioned anyway (I'm not gonna fill that thing full for a LONG time) and TRIM should be mostly meaningless.

Technically yes, but most modern SSD's have their own garbage collection now for self cleaning. Consider that I'll be fairly over-provisioned anyway (I'm not gonna fill that thing full for a LONG time) and TRIM should be mostly meaningless.
I'm curious, how can a SSD know if a file gets deleted from it without OS using the TRIM command? Deleting a file is just changing a bit of data that happens to reside in file allocation table. On SSD-side it's no different than modifying any other piece of data on the disk.

I only know what I've read from several reviews; wikipedia also mentions it:
Although tools to "reset" some drives to a fresh state were already available before the introduction of TRIM, they also delete all data on the drive, which makes them impractical to use for ongoing optimization.[4] More recent SSDs will often contain internal idle/background garbage collection mechanisms that work independently of TRIM; although this successfully maintains their performance even under operating systems that do not (yet) support TRIM, it has the associated drawbacks of increased write amplification and wear of the flash cells.[5]

Oh, and yeah I've seen that review. The Quad SB-E is pretty lame, all things considered. The 3930k isn't the gaming beast that the i7-2600k (or it's overpriced, binned brother 2700k) is, but it single-handedly force-chokes all global warning doom-sayers when processing video encoding jobs. :D Look at that bad bastard go!

I think the 3930k is where I'll go. And then when IVB-E comes out in a year or so, I'll swap the CPU and call it good.

I plugged the current RAID card into my x38 / overclocked Quad 9450 rig just to see what might be possible, and I've discovered that the PCI-E implementation on this board doesn't deal well with the throughput the RAID card can put through. I can put up some ATTO / CrystalMark / AS-SSD numbers if someone is interested, but these are NOT interesting.

Basically, the transition from one to two drives is roughly linear (as you'd expect), but it has a strong taper at the top end. Sure enough, I get basically no scaling with three drives, and I cannot even attempt benches with four drives as it completely locks the system. I'm pretty convinced that it's a PCI-E (chipset) issue, because benchmarks even on dual drives will make WDM crash during the high-queue depth 4K random tests. When using three drives, WDM will start flaking out during the transfer tests and pretty much stops responding entirely during 4K tests. On four drives, it just reboots the system about halfway through the first transfer test.

Ye ol' 4-year old X38 chipset just wasn't meant to deal with this kind of abuse ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Even those are too expensive IMO. With 32Gb of system ram and over a terabyte of SSD space in RAID0, I can't imagine needing iRam disks (or whatever they're called now.)

sure and there's software ramdisks anyhow.
you can even load whole, heavy games in ramdisk as I did when I had 32 MB memory (this was not very practical as you had to edit config.sys and reboot to change ramdisk size)

I use ramdisk software right now on my laptop and desktop for managing temp files, page file, and browser cache. If I end up with a game where 2Gb+/sec worth of disk transfer is still a 'painful' bottleneck, then I'm not really sure what decade I will be living in...

high end enterprise stuff does that now, multi-tiered storage with memory, then flash, then hard disks, then tape backup eventually.
you can run a heavy database with thousands users, B3D forum and site would be very small change.

actually the power of your machine is so great it's mind-numbing, you can run a high traffic website, application server (windows TSE or linux ltsp) or any ridiculous things while encoding in the background and still playing games :p

I've being using the 3930K for quite awhile with 32GB of RAMs(8X4GB) stable OC at 4.5GHz. It encode more than twice faster than my old 920 OC at 3.4GHz.

You can even play games & encode video at the same time without much hit on the performance on the game. It still encode faster than my old 920. It's a blast.

See, now that's what I'm talking about :D

The 3930k has been out of stock at NewEgg and MicroCenter for the last two weeks. WTF!?!? I have pretty much everything else picked out and to buy, just need the damnable processor to be available!

Out of stock situations is a good excuse to save up more money, and buy a bigger/faster component... :LOL:

None of the benchmarks anywhere showed measurable benefit from the extra cache of the 3960X, so it probably isn't worth the additional $400. That's the only thing bigger than the 3930k, unless you want to go to a XEON platform -- which I don't :)

I found a place with six in stock for a fee that wasn't absolutely outlandish. Also found a few more in stock at a few other e-tailers for a thousand or more dollars, but if I was going to spend a grand, I'd buy the "X". And I'm not. :D

The board and ram came in today: went with the Intel DX79SI and 8 x 4Gb of Mushkin 7-8-9-24 4Gb DDR3-1600mhz

Back