1up clearly states Crysis spinoff coming to the 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.gametab.com/news/787972/

New Crysis Game Coming to 360
Straight-up conversion not technically feasible.
By Patrick Klepek, 01/16/2007

The folks at Crytek have stated several times that taking their ridiculously good looking PC shooter Crysis into the console world wouldn't be possible without sacrificing a noticeable amount of visual fidelity. But, clearly the demand is there, so what's Crytek to do? Apparently, take core elements of the PC game and develop an all-new Crysis game for Xbox 360, as revealed late last week on The 1UP Yours podcast.

Crysis is one of the first games to take serious advantage of Microsoft's DirectX10 technology, something that can't simply be patched into the Xbox 360 hardware. Consequently, a version of Crysis will be appearing on Xbox 360 eventually, tapping certain story elements of the PC version and structuring the gameplay differently to suit the console's strengths.

That still doesn't explain how I'm (or anyone, for that matter) going to afford a machine to actually run Crysis when it comes out later this year, but console owners can breathe a little easier now; hopefully an official announcement on the spin-off will be forthcoming soon.

I thought the 1up podcast merely had Crytek stating that if they were going to bring it to consoles, it'd have to be a spinoff type thing, not a direct port (like FarCry: Instincts Vs FarCry). I didn't hear it, but from what I read people saying, I didn't see mention of a confirmation of any sort.

I figured this had been expected. Crysis in its PC form was not a good thing for consoles, therefore they could leverage the brand name and many of the core elements for a game that is good for consoles. Though I expect it to be much more linear sadly.

I thought the 1up podcast merely had Crytek stating that if they were going to bring it to consoles, it'd have to be a spinoff type thing, not a direct port (like FarCry: Instincts Vs FarCry). I didn't hear it, but from what I read people saying, I didn't see mention of a confirmation of any sort.

I'd say Instincts was as far from a direct port as they come. Totally different games, even technically.

"The folks at Crytek have stated several times that taking their ridiculously good looking PC shooter Crysis into the console world wouldn't be possible without sacrificing a noticeable amount of visual fidelity."

If Crysis is unable to be played on a single core Netburst with a 6800 on a 15 inch monitor then I will accept that statement as a legitimate excuse for not seeing Crysis on the 360.

"The folks at Crytek have stated several times that taking their ridiculously good looking PC shooter Crysis into the console world wouldn't be possible without sacrificing a noticeable amount of visual fidelity."

If Crysis is unable to be played on a single core Netburst with a 6800 on a 15 inch monitor then I will accept that statement as a legitimate excuse for not seeing Crysis on the 360.

You're forgetting the most important part of the equation.

Are you talking RAM? If so, FarCry went from a minimum requirement of 320Mb (256 main and 64 vc) to just 64mb on the xbox with FarCry Instinct.

I doubt the minimum required for Crysis is anywhere near 2 gigs main and 512 vc.

Last edited by a moderator:
are you talking RAM?

Yes.

If it plays on a single core Netburst-based processor with an NV6800 graphics card, you still need more than 128mb of ram to get it running. Or 256mb of ram. In fact, you probably need at least 512 to even start it, and likely need 1GB or more to get it running without hitching every few seconds.

Eleventy brazillion petaflops does jack when your app needs 500+mb of memory and 100mb of video textures simultaneously.

Good news for 360.

Ahm....PS3? Anyone?

Most likely. They were working with 360/PS3 hardware a long time ago, applying the Crysis engine to each hardware.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=559444#post559444
/GameStar/dev: How does porting work from x86 to X360?

Cevat Yerli: In general the architecture is different of course, but they are quite a bit more similar then Xbox360 and PS3. The cpu's of PC, 360 and PS3 have only one similarity - multi-threading. As a generic cpu the Xbox 360 processor is the most powerful one, if you're taking the 7 Spu's of the PS3 into account things change. Before we had the PS3 devkits we thought PS3 and Xbox 360 were closer in design than PC and console. That's not the case though *laughs*

/GameStar/dev: So you are optimizing your engine for the cell spu's?

Cevat Yerli: Sure. We have to, because we want to utilize PS3's power in full. Accordingly the PS3 will get it's own engine architecture, kind of a sub-architecture of CryEngine 2.

/GameStar/dev: You outsourced the Far Cry Instincts port. Now you have to port yourselves?

Cevat Yerli: Umh ...

/GameStar/dev: ... the graphics interfaces are requiring an extra effort?

Cevat Yerli: Yeah, because of OpenGL ES for the PS3 we have to recode our whole rendering. If you look at it closely, CryEngine 2 will have 2 solutions for each system in total. If a developer abstracts that, the technology is optimized very specifically. Otherwise you cannot utilize the whole power. Alternatively you can abstract it in a way that it is not running on all system, then the strongest platform is losing out the most ...

Yes.

If it plays on a single core Netburst-based processor with an NV6800 graphics card, you still need more than 128mb of ram to get it running. Or 256mb of ram. In fact, you probably need at least 512 to even start it, and likely need 1GB or more to get it running without hitching every few seconds.

Eleventy brazillion petaflops does jack when your app needs 500+mb of memory and 100mb of video textures simultaneously.

I doubt that the amount of RAM require for smooth PC gaming is also required of consoles. Optimizing a closed platform should buy you some leverage in term of RAM needs.

I doubt that the amount of RAM require for smooth PC gaming is also required of consoles. Optimizing a closed platform should buy you some leverage in term of RAM needs.

Well, you should probably go talk to Crytek. Talk them out of wasting the assets in making a new game because they can just use the same game for both platforms and therefore make more money.

Does that mean a PS3 version is planned or atleast a GOOD game from them?
Kinda depends on how you interpret it I guess. They seem to definately have something in the works for the PS3 with the new engine, and my guess would be Crysis, just maybe toned down.

Then again that quote is from 2005 so things could of changed. :LOL:

Well, you should probably go talk to Crytek. Talk them out of wasting the assets in making a new game because they can just use the same game for both platforms and therefore make more money.

I think money is the reason why we got a FarCry Instinct and not just a console version of Far Cry. Why make all those tweaks and optimizations to deal with the limitation of a console and not make changes to the storyline and mechanics to entice not only the console crowd who has never owned FarCry but also those who owned the original PC version.

Kinda depends on how you interpret it I guess. They seem to definately have something in the works for the PS3 with the new engine, and my guess would be Crysis, just maybe toned down.

Then again that quote is from 2005 so things could of changed. :LOL:

Well judging from what he states now, he is totally showing a completely different face. Too different. Which makes me curious and wonder why.

Impressions were much more different then compared to now. Its strange

I think money is the reason why we got a FarCry Instinct and not just a console version of Far Cry. Why make all those tweaks and optimizations to deal with the limitation of a console and not make changes to the storyline and mechanics to entice not only the console crowd who has never owned FarCry but also those who owned the original PC version.

Instincts used a completely different engine from Far Cry, also at that point Crytek was no longer with Ubisoft, Ubisoft owning the rights still to the Far Cry brand name. It was a very different situation, as well Instincts was much more than just tweaks to the storyline and it was not even really in a similar vein of gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back