The PLAYSTATION®3 system software version 2.00 update includes the following:

RSX cannot match the insane bandwidth the GS has to it's memory I think (48 gb/s or something like that.)
That was uncompressed data though. 2:1 compression and you're already close. That's the least concern over emulating GS though. I suggest people search for previous discussions where Fafalada pointed out the major problems.

That was uncompressed data though. 2:1 compression and you're already close. That's the least concern over emulating GS though. ...
Slightly off topic, but if it is possible to achieve lossless 2:1 compression/decompression of frame buffer data, why is there nobody using that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, actually, it is possible! Ever heard of Scale2x or hq3x? That goes way beyond upscaling, and i think Cell is pretty much capable of that in realtime.

I just tried it with some PS1 screenshots, works wonders.

The second one is very impressive. I will have to download it and try it out for myself.

The second one is very impressive. I will have to download it and try it out for myself.
Actually, Scale2x proved to be completely useless for PS1 screenshots. I had some (IMHO) pretty good results with hq4x (which is basically the same as hq3x, only higher res).

You can see for yourself with these screenshots i made. Sorry, i don't have the time to make a gallery of it. This zip contains some screenshots seemingly direct feed which weren't JPG compressed - those artefacts diminish the effects of hq4x greatly. Only Crash Team Racing was a JPG, but the results looked good enough anyway.

Each screenshot is then upscaled 400% with each nearest neighbor and hq4x for comparison. The differences are sometimes small, but noticable, and it doesn't blur - i would love to see that in realtime. Have fun...

my insider confirmed a new firmware which involves upscaling stuff happening THIS WEEK .
so patience children
Great! So that's pretty much sure now that one of the most anticipated features will be here very soon!
You've been pretty much spot on with your earlier "insider confirmations", so I have faith in you ;)
Any more information you could share about the update? Was the list that leaked earlier legitimate?

Great! So that's pretty much sure now that one of the most anticipated features will be here very soon!
You've been pretty much spot on with your earlier "insider confirmations", so I have faith in you ;)
Any more information you could share about the update? Was the list that leaked earlier legitimate?
off course ,things could get postponed and i would come out as a d*ck here... hehe anyway... no nothing special new to tell

in the meanwhile, its out in the public so ... told you guys so! :cool:

EDIT: Oops a new thread!
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=41515
Please move on

It's actually 1.80 but necessary features are there

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4372&NewsAreaID=2
Press Releases

23/05/2007 09:49
PS3 Firmware Version 1.80 Announced

Latest PLAYSTATION 3 Firmware Update Provides PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and DVD Upscaling

Remote Play on PSP (PlayStation Portable) via the Internet and DLNA transfer of media content also enabled

London, 24 May 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation® and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set1. Not only can DVD movies be enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3’s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

A host of other enhancements include the ability to print photo images stored on PS3’s hard disk or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

- ends -

Notes

1. DVD-ROM (including DVD Video content) can only be upscaled with HDMI compatible TV sets.

2. Use of Remote Play requires a powered up PS3 with Version 1.80 as well as PSP firmware version 3.50 which will be available at the end of May.

3. DLNA – Digital Living Network Alliance. For more info on DLNA, please see http://www.dlna.org/en/consumer/home

Now the question is whether it's applicable to the US/JP PS3.

Hmm, why does upscaling need a HDMI-Connection?
Should read: Why would Sony limit upscaling to HDMI?

The hilarious thing is that they claim to enhance games and movies to "full 1080p quality." In reality, all they are doing is the same process happening inside your TV already. On the other hand, the possibility of Remote Play via Internet is exciting and I'm looking forward to this feature.

The hilarious thing is that they claim to enhance games and movies to "full 1080p quality." In reality, all they are doing is the same process happening inside your TV already.
The same general process, although the specifics could vary considerably. I saw my friend's latest-edition 1080p native Samsung HDTV showing PS2 games yesterday, and it was doing something weird on the upscaling. An alternative upscaler may well do a better job. As those scalers linked to elsewhere show (hq4x etc.) there's even so weirdo techniques that could be used for older games that'd never work with TV screens. You'd want a different scaler for game content than TV/DVD content, I'm sure.

Looks similar in results to the upscalers linked to earlier. Nice choice! Sony haven't skimped on the software side of things, and deserve recognition for excellent software and frequent updates. They seem to finally be realising the potential in their hardwares!

Looks similar in results to the upscalers linked to earlier. Nice choice! Sony haven't skimped on the software side of things, and deserve recognition for excellent software and frequent updates. They seem to finally be realising the potential in their hardwares!
They're playing catch-up far better than I expected. If the 2.0 rumor is true (which I think is only further validated by this 1.8 update), they should be about where they need to be at in terms of feature set. At which point, priorities can shift to a Cold War style arms (features) race with the other Super Powers. And no, I'm not concerned about games. After Gamers Day, there's not much on that front that I'm worried about. Its not like the people who work on games, also work on the firmware.

I get the feeling that this is about the time SCEI would have preferred to launch the PS3. Now, or perhaps closer to the Holiday Season.

I get the feeling that this is about the time SCEI would have preferred to launch the PS3. Now, or perhaps closer to the Holiday Season.

If it wasn't for those pesky XBOX guys Holiday 07 would have been a fine launch for PS3 - Assuming they have 65nm nailed by then, I would hazard a guess that it would have been a more rounded system as well with a slight graphics bump and better scaler.

Back