Gears of War... the movie

That is very cool. I am even more interested in seeing that movie now.

that is cool (good PR for gaming old guys, like myself. ;))

although I have been anticipating that movie greatly anyway.

It's got great potential with Don Cheadle, an interesting premise and Sandler is a pretty solid dramatic actor, given the chance..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it kind of explains that Cliffy and Crew have been smoozing with Hollywood instead of working on bug fixes and other aspects of the game that need immediate attention. As good of game GOW is there should be no excuse for letting some of the bugs and issues that plague the multiplayer continue for this amount of time.

In the days of UT you would of never seen the Epic team be so tight lipped, and non responsive towards their fans. Its a shame really. I use to respect Epic highly but now it seems that business is top concern now. Something Cliffy swore he would never turn into (business tycoon who cares more about the $$ then the game itself). Gamers first remember Epic?

Actually, after playing the game, I would prefer the action NOT to be stylized. It should be gritty and realistic. It is afterall about a humanity on the verge of being wiped out.

I'd like to see something along the lines of Saving Private Ryan. Only set in the Gears universe.

Then again to see an actual Sci-Fi flick (much less a game based one) be treated with even a modicum of respect would be expecting too much I suppose.

Next best thing would be a treatment similar to the Chronicles of Riddick. Although that's more stylized than I think is appropriate for this.

Personally if they made it with an attention to realism (yes I realize it's Sci-Fi) ala Saving Private Ryan and a somewhat decent story with a suitably Grizzly and Non-Conventional lead. It might have a chance of being good.

Regards,
SB

PS - and yes I remember when Epic was just 1 guy making side scrollers. A top down shooter. A pinball game. And then finally took on the epic (pun intended) task of making a 3D shooter that ended up being Unreal.

Speaking of games to movies, or in this case a game's influence on a movie read the below (very quirky stuff about Shadow of the Colossus).

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=107259

Saw Reign over Me yesterday. Great movie IMO, very moving emotionally and well acted. Shadow of the Colossus was featured prominently as a part of the story of the main character immersing himself in a fantasy world. No mention nor context of Sony or PS brand at all (3rd party controller even I think) but the game was mentioned and shown numerous times.

Was pretty cool and the movie was lump in your throat good.

Back