LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for off topic -

Annyone know if Factor 5 using flexIO to put textures in XDRAM?

(some textures are incredible in resolution and quality)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for off topic -

Annyone now if Factor 5 using flexIO to put textures in XDRAM?

(some textures are incredible in resolution and quality)

Yes. But probably equally or even more important is that they stream their textures. Not that many PS3 games have done that yet, I think. ;) And Gears was probably one of the first to do so on the 360?

Yes. But probably equally or even more important is that they stream their textures. Not that many PS3 games have done that yet, I think. ;) And Gears was probably one of the first to do so on the 360?

Hopefully it doesn’t get that late texture popup (or no texture at all) that Gears tends to have on some occasions.

Thanx for reply,but they are using Ragdoll phisics/colision detection and animation in this game?

Yes they are using collision detection otherwise the soldiers would clip through each other. They must have animations otherwise the characters would be statics and they have ragdoll for the soldiers/creatures. :smile:

I like this quote

So you've got to find these certain bite-sized areas that you can optimize?

JE: Yeah. You need to find all of these systems, and you need to pre-design systems. We found that out rather early on in a nasty way with the collisions. We assumed our collision system wouldn't be done on SPUs, and that was a big mistake. We designed it around general access and not small chunks.

The gamasutra interview was very good it seems they have a game in there as well, not just a Tech Demo designed to get the PS3 fan to Level 9 :)

Yeah the gamertrailers video kind of left me with a sour taste. The media on this title seems to be such a roller coaster. In one instance everything prospected looks fantastic and then in another its looks like a very empty bland flying game that happens to include a dragon. The dev. walkthrough was impressive with the preview of the map and the action present, different scenarios regarding gameplay; this trailer simply looks boring, bland, and clunky.

I dont doubt Lair will be a quality title but Im willing to bet that it is overshadowed by other PS3 titles in the fall (HS, RC etc).

Agreed, I love it! Man, I better book some holidays and reserve some spare time - there are going to be a lot of games that I need to check out later this year ...

the fire and explosion definetly saw some improvement along with smoke effect. the game is still looking hot and detailed. the trailer might b alittle boring but that's just on stage demo, not a proper walkthrough or anything. so i wouldnt judge the final game purely based on it.

yeah, ground fire looked alot mor impressive now. and check out the "planattack" movie from gametrailers, that's the one from those 1080p screens with nice ocean and big manta. very detailed in motion.

Looks to me like they lost the cheesy fire spray and went with fireballs instead. BEtter than what they had, but not the firey stream we'd expect of a dragon in that situation (and that's ignoring the E3 CG)

For arguments sake, Dragons are fictitious and there is no real life animal that breathes fire so they can basically do what they want with it.

Prove to me that dragons spat huge streams of fire.

It's not to do with realism but artistry. A dragon breathing a stream of fire against an army of soldiers is more fitting and impressive (when modelled well) than one that spits fireballs. Dragon art is very rich in streams of fire. It's far more expected than neat little fireballs. Just type 'fire breathing dragons' into Google's image search and see how many images have fireballs rather than roaring flames!

For arguments sake, Dragons are fictitious and there is no real life animal that breathes fire so they can basically do what they want with it.

Prove to me that dragons spat huge streams of fire.

A very entertaining and downright hilarious interchange happened on this same thread regarding the issue of realism on fantastical objects. Of course it is to the discretion of the artists involved in a project, on how they decide to make the imaginary "faux-real" but I'm in the camp on them sticking to certain fantasy conventions. In this case, we have dragons - the post popular fantasy creature - being written thoroughout history a certain way. From what I've read and seen dragons normally spray fire-streams and don't mouth fart balls. It is up to FF on how they implement fire but I wouldn't dismiss people arguing against their fantasy implementations as irrational. ;)

[DJ12] this isn't directed at you so much as it is my 2 cents on a topic I missed out on a month ago.

I forgot in which interview but I remember Julian said the fire has physics involved. If not they could use some 2D technique to draw fire spray.

Looks to me like they lost the cheesy fire spray and went with fireballs instead. BEtter than what they had, but not the firey stream we'd expect of a dragon in that situation (and that's ignoring the E3 CG)
They didn't dich the fire breath. In the FT "Ground and Sky Battles" video, at 1:16 you can see a spray of fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back