What music are you listening to right now?

Swallow the Sun- Falling World and These Woods Breathe Evil.

StS just added these two new songs from "New Moon" on their Myspace page. I cannot. Fucking. Wait. Until November 10th. For this CD. Or at least until they decide to sell these singles, it's a pain to listen to them on my laptop :(

Last edited by a moderator:
To break up the metal fest going on in this thread, recently I've been listening to (and DJing) dubstep. A few tunes from a recent mix I did.

Noisia - Square Feet
Rusko - Woo Boost
N-Type - Blind Fury
Burial - Archangel
Benga - 26 Bassline

Not the Beyond3D cup of tea I'm sure, but sub bass makes me happy ;)
For some reason I've never heard of the genre dubstep, but after googling and finding stuff like this, I'm hooked.

Way back I've always leaned towards the non-techno electronic side of pop music (Prodigy, Chemical Brothers), and then loved drum and bass from the moment someone introduced me to it. Unfortunately it's not easy being exposed to the music and artists unless you really spend some time to explore the independent stuff. A year or two ago, I found Groove Salad, which right now is my favourite internet radio station.

Have you ever listened to DJ Shadow's early stuff, esp. Entroducing? I'm always on the lookout for music like that, but it's tough to find. Any suggestions?

For those who like bass I recommend some Emma Shapplin music:
:LOL: You know, I was actually scanning a bunch of her tracks looking for a nice bass line until I realized you were being sarcastic.

FYI, bassheads don't have any aversion to high pitched notes. We just want some of that low frequency sweetness alongside it. If you want to hear some screechingly high notes (albeit synthesized quasi-voice), listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAmHlg_Kkzk (very cool song, IMO)

For some reason I've never heard of the genre dubstep, but after googling and finding stuff like this, I'm hooked.
Good man! That's a little bit downtempo for me in terms of what I'll DJ, but it's bang on in terms of the genre.

Have you ever listened to DJ Shadow's early stuff, esp. Entroducing? I'm always on the lookout for music like that, but it's tough to find. Any suggestions?
That kind of chilled breakbeat is hard to find these days, at least in terms of new production. At least, I haven't heard any good ambient breaks in a while, but I'll see what I can find.

FYI, bassheads don't have any aversion to high pitched notes. We just want some of that low frequency sweetness alongside it.
Agreed 100%.

Moonsorrow- Kivenkantaja & Rauniolla

Kick ass Finnish black metal. I just wish I knew what they were saying. I'm sure there are translations about somewhere, I just haven't looked. All I know is, it SOUNDS good. And that's what really matters. They could be singing "Rock-n-roll-Mcdonalds" in Finnish, and it would still be bad ass.

Swallow the Sun- Lights on the Lake (Horror Pt. III)

StS quickly propelled itself to being one of my favorite bands of all time. I've bought every album to date and can't get enough of them. Doom metal never sounded so amazing. Kai Hahto from Wintersun drums on their upcoming album, and from what they've released on their Myspace page thus far, he's fantastic. Mikko Kotamaki became my personal hero, to the point where I shaved my head, trimmed my beard and dressed as him for Halloween :)

No one knew who he was. So explaining my costume was a pain.

Katatonia- The Longest Year

The new CD is decent. "The Great Cold Distance" was heaps better. The above song is easily the best off the album. Anders Nystrom should revive his combined effort with Dan Swano "Diabolical Masquerade."

Katatonia- The Longest Year

The new CD is decent. "The Great Cold Distance" was heaps better. The above song is easily the best off the album. Anders Nystrom should revive his combined effort with Dan Swano "Diabolical Masquerade."
TGCD is untouchable, but the new one is excellent as well.

TGCD is untouchable, but the new one is excellent as well.

I've always been a fan of their earlier work, predating Jonas on vocals, where Mikael Akerfeldt sang. If you're interested in growls, I highly suggest "Sounds of Decay" and "Brave Murder Day."

Swallow the Sun- Sleepless Swans

The new album is an absolute masterpiece.

I've always been a fan of their earlier work, predating Jonas on vocals, where Mikael Akerfeldt sang. If you're interested in growls, I highly suggest "Sounds of Decay" and "Brave Murder Day."

Swallow the Sun- Sleepless Swans

The new album is an absolute masterpiece.
Oh I have every Katatonia album :p
Mikael was never the real vocalist for katatonia, he only did those albums because Jonas became unable to perform the growls himself.
I also love opeth, but their stuff after Deliverance is a bit boring imo.

Back