PSP UMD movie sales falter

I'm actually disgusted by the fact that they chose to include regional-encoding with UMDs. Why in gods name will I spend money on a UMD at an international airport if chances are that the UMDs sold their won't work on my PSP? :rolleyes:

expletive said:
I respect how passionate you are about this but i stand by my original opinion that lowering the price of UMDs will not attract a relevant # of new PSP owners. In the end, i actually think that UMDs may be dead already as digital distribution is a real threat for movies and shows on portable media players. Look what apple is doing, i cant help but feel many will follow suit and there will such an abundance of downlaodable content for portable media players that UMDs will just end up lost in the shuffle, even for PSP owners.

I agree with this one statement, but why would Sony or any movie studio care about that TODAY? If you ask me they need to get PSP owners to buy UMD's first! Get the people that are buying PSP's for games, then worry about selling UMD's to non-gamers.

And my point has always been lowering the price of UMD's to say $9.99 for older movies or bargin priced movies and $14.99 for new blockbusters like Spiderman 3. I totally see what you are trying to say about downloadable content and I agree to a certain extent, so I think Sony has to give the user a reason to buy UMDs.

Hopefully they go for things like better quality picture, extra content, giving the user the ability to watch the UMD on a normal TV, and a decent price (ie $9.99-$14.99).

I got a question for you guys. How much do you think Apple will sell the real movies for Ipod video?

mckmas8808 said:
I agree with this one statement, but why would Sony or any movie studio care about that TODAY? If you ask me they need to get PSP owners to buy UMD's first! Get the people that are buying PSP's for games, then worry about selling UMD's to non-gamers.

And my point has always been lowering the price of UMD's to say $9.99 for older movies or bargin priced movies and $14.99 for new blockbusters like Spiderman 3. I totally see what you are trying to say about downloadable content and I agree to a certain extent, so I think Sony has to give the user a reason to buy UMDs.

Sure i agree with that. My original response was to the idea that lowered UMD prices promote sales of the PSP, thats all i disagree with.

Back