GeFX canned?

If any of this is true I really can't see the NV35 saving them if all we're talking about is a revision update of the NV30.
One advantage that NV does have over ATI with regards the R300 and NV30 is that they are 6 months apart; and in this 6 months memory speed had increased therefore while ATI used 2.86 NV were able to use 2.0ns.
But if they compete on a level playing field with both using similar memory speeds on revision update cores then I predict ATI would win outright.

(This is based on the assumption that the Shadermark scores are correct and that the low NV30 score isn't a driver flaw or can be rectified)

On another note, who would even buy 1 of the 10,000 if it was known that it had such a short life cycle. Would customers be prepared to wait a further 6-10 weeks?

heh.. I thought even 100,000 seemed rather on the low side!

Those pre-orders can always be cancelled, maybe Nvidia have already tested the new 3Dmark and predicting cancelations because of it. After all, they've paid alot of attention to it in the past.

Just some quickies...

Morris Ital said:
I expect FX2 ( whatever nv designation it is .. i hope not nv50 ! ) [...]

Um, why wouldn't it be NV35?

If people think nvidia is on the ropes now then look at poor old VIA. The P4 chipset market is taking off and they cannot do anything about it due to licencing

VIA has the P4 license and has been making P4 chipsets since VIA P4X266... Nvidia is the one stuck in AMD land.

( the nforce2 drivers seem pretty good in comparison to 4in1's

Heh, gotta agree with that. What aren't...

Then the fixed nv30 could have come out just in time for Doom this year.

Regardless of everything they planned or what has happened, the "fixed NV30" -- a.k.a. NV35 -- should come out just in time for Doom3, after all.

You lot don't mince your words

If you mean the ever increasing flaming and pissing contests... they are a 100% negative thing on a once very friendly forum. Fortunately still only a minority creating the disproportionate noise. I hope you don't consider poor manners a good or kewl thing...

Gunhead said:
VIA has the P4 license and has been making P4 chipsets since VIA P4X266... Nvidia is the one stuck in AMD land.
Nope, VIA doesn't have the P4 license. They're attempting to say that a previous agreement with Intel gives them the right to produce P4 chipsets. A number of motherboard manufacturers are therefore not purchasing VIA's chipsets.

btw, you heard it here first

antlers4 said:
I might suggest the "GeForce FX is a total dog" scenario. In this scenario, they can't get it to run bug free at Ultra speeds on at least some common applications in any quantity at all (or OEM's refuse to make Ultra's in quantity because of the price point and worries about compatibility). The only FX that could make it to the shelves in quantity is the 400/900 Mhz version, which can't be sold profitably for <$400, even though it is beaten by the 9700 in some common benchmarks.

In this scenario, NVidia holds back on making any NV30 devices publically available until the follow-on NV3x mainstream products are ready. The NV30 becomes a nearly-totally-vapor product that nVidia forgets about as quickly as possible--a few heavily subsidized cards do show up at retail and at review sites to build the GeForce FX hype for the mainstream cards.

The only thing wrong with that is that it was at full speed 500/1000 that the FX doesn't compete well (beaten in some benchmarks), and for some reason they let this information get out before they can preview the other NV3x cards.

Chalnoth said:
Gunhead said:
Nope, VIA doesn't have the P4 license. They're attempting to say that a previous agreement with Intel gives them the right to produce P4 chipsets. A number of motherboard manufacturers are therefore not purchasing VIA's chipsets.

WRONG!!!!!! They are saying that the have the license due to the fact that they bought S3, which had agreements with Intel........

martrox said:
WRONG!!!!!! They are saying that the have the license due to the fact that they bought S3, which had agreements with Intel........
The problem is that VIA didn't buy S3, Inc., who is now called SonicBLUE. VIA bought S3 Graphics, Inc. Intel's argument is that the cross-license agreement was with S3, Inc., not S3 Graphics, Inc. It's a good point because SonicBLUE holds the patents that were part of the cross-license deal...

OpenGL guy.. Why yer on this thread.. care to make a guess on the NV35?

You could even offer a guess on the R350.. I'm sure none would mind!
;)

OpenGL guy said:
martrox said:
The problem is that VIA didn't buy S3, Inc., who is now called SonicBLUE. VIA bought S3 Graphics, Inc. Intel's argument is that the cross-license agreement was with S3, Inc., not S3 Graphics, Inc. It's a good point because SonicBLUE holds the patents that were part of the cross-license deal...

well......I was closer than Chalnoth........ :rolleyes: .... hehe!

In any case....

I'm looking forward to the Q&A session during the nVidia investor conference call (Thursday the 13th). I would be surprised if the question about GeForceFX shipping units isn't raised.

no mo Ultra

at least according to what Kyle just put up>

GFFX Ultra No More:
As we noted here Thursday, the GeForceFX 5800 Ultra will never make it to retail.

If thats true I wonder what John Carmack will have to say about his closing comments in 'the plan', where he said

For a
typical consumer, I don't think the decision is at all clear cut at the
moment.

When talking which card is best for Doom 3 (when there will be very few actually shipped)...Nvidia made that decision for him.

conf36.gif

Man if I had a V5-6000 I'd hold on to just for it's rarity value! It would go very nicely with all my other rare bits.

I suppose this will mean there's no reason to launch the R350 just now untill "real" specs of the NV35 materialize aswell as the scheduled launch period.

Well, if you go and read at hardocp, it says the Ultra version is cancelled, but they will still be selling non-ultra retail version at $300 (estimated) and they are clocked at 500/800.

I wonder if that's a typo there, shouldn't it be 400/800?

Doomtrooper said:
Anyone have a working Voodoo5 6000 they want to trade for a working v1.1 GFFX 5800 Ultra? Drop me a line.

Interesting trade request by Kyle ?? :LOL:

Isn't it obvious which one he'd rather have? *chuckle*

Even though this is exactly what I felt nVidia should do with this crazy product, I'm surprised to see them throwing in the towel and conceding the performance race for the time being. Definitely a wise decision, but surprising nonetheless. I am shocked in a sense that it took the company so long to realize the Ultra was a complete dog of a concept. Why'd it take so long? What did they get out of trying to carry it this far except bad publicity? Ah, if only they'd have realized back in September that the Dustbuster was not a marketable, viable concept, they could have been 6-months deep into nv35 by now. Tsk, tsk. Somebody inside of nVidia in a high place has awakened to smell the coffee, finally. I just can't figure what it was that made them pursue this crazy concept from the start--once they saw that direct competition with R300 from a normally aspirated/clocked nv30 product was impossible, they should have started on nv35 immediately. Instead, it looks as if nVidia wasted six months and millions of dollars in an attempt to make a silk purse out of a sou's ear.

Now that they've finally seen the R300 light, maybe they'll be able to make something that will compete with it.

Back