Looking to buy a Dell 2405FPW LCD

epicstruggle said:
great tactic.

epic

Except now it is beginning to look like "you can't get there from here". They have their playbook, and apparently "fine, give me the $100 credit towards the same price on the first one and we'll pay the balance of the difference" just does not fit that playbook.

At the current time, apparently some of the finest minds on the Indian sub-continent are puzzling over it.

Currently the smart money (okay, my money) is on they are going to get their slightly used 2405fpw back, and pay additional shipping for two monitors, rather than upsell the higher-end monitor that they screwed-up on.

We'll see, I guess.

I'm also looking to buy a Dell 2405FPW LCD. I will be looking for a very long time :(

The image at the top of this page with Rys greens screensaver is drool worthy. I can tell that FP kicks ass even from across the internets...I want this FP...

geo said:
Except now it is beginning to look like "you can't get there from here". They have their playbook, and apparently "fine, give me the $100 credit towards the same price on the first one and we'll pay the balance of the difference" just does not fit that playbook.

At the current time, apparently some of the finest minds on the Indian sub-continent are puzzling over it.

Currently the smart money (okay, my money) is on they are going to get their slightly used 2405fpw back, and pay additional shipping for two monitors, rather than upsell the higher-end monitor that they screwed-up on.

We'll see, I guess.

well that is what you get for being a moral citizen :|

lesson one, this was 400$ for you from 1k investment and 400$ for dell from 2 bn profit (or whatever is that they make these days per quarter)

not very moral but practical :p

epicstruggle said:
Extended! DellHome - Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor for $779.35! Plus 30-35% off Other Selected Dell LCDs!

www.gotapex.com scroll down a bit.

epic

Just got the latest advertising from Dell here: price is almost 1500 $ and that before taxes !

I sent an email to the EU commission office, will see if they have a look at that :)

Guy I knew (more knew of, but I kinda knew him) back in the proverbial Day (1992ish :D ) once ordered a modem from the now-defunct Computability. A 14.4kbps one! It was a *screamer*.

Well, modem comes, and there are two in the package. He calls up Computability:

"Hi. I just got a modem, and I'd like to know if I can return it."
"Why? Is there something wrong with it?"
"No, it works fine."
"Then no, you can't."
"Okay, all I needed to know! Thanks!" *click*

Ah, the good old days.

First post here!

I've been staring at my new 2405fpw for that last few weeks and will never go back. Paid $902 delivered. I should have waited another couple weeks, oh well. Now all other displays look small and the 2405 is just normal. They've created a monster!

I set the brightness to the lowest setting on the monitor and reduced it a little in the ATI control setting. I've achieved the prefect brightness and contrast for me.

I'll also use the 2405 as an alternate xbox360 display. Anyone know which monitor connection to use with the 360? VGA or Component, they're both analog.

Apple.com has HD movie trailers that let you display full 1080p video in h.264. My 3G p4 box slows a little in 1080p but does fine for 720p. Check it out! www.apple.com/trailers

Druga Runda said:
:oops:

well this is new Dell salses tactic, once you see it you will not want to send it back ;)
This is evil :oops:
I bought 2 months ago my Samsung 710N 17" LCD (12ms) and it is very good. But I almost bought the Sony with Xbrite. The reseller had both side-by-side playing the same fast move dark game in a dark room and the Sony was incredible :oops: but for twice the price. I also had my wife´s aproval to buy anyone. I summoned the spirits of earth to control myself and I bought the Samsung saving almost US$400.

But if the reseller had sended me the Sony than I dont know if I could resist the temptation.

Well, "the playbook" won. I'm on a business trip, so the wife is talking to them now, but the best they could do was that 2405fpw has to go back and then we could order another 2405fpw online and use the $100 coupon they are giving us. Which of course totally misses the "lets get out of this as easy as we can for all concerned" angle we were after.

What. A. Joke. Wife is a bit overwhelmed at it anyway, and would be more comfortable with the 19" she says. So it is going back. But she told them not until she has the 19" in hand. They can send the 19" first, or we can "trade hostages" at the same time, but they are not getting this one until we get the one we ordered.

However, she will almost certainly write Mikey and his VPs a letter about the whole experience. She does that kind of thing.

Druga Runda said:
well that is what you get for being a moral citizen :|

lesson one, this was 400$ for you from 1k investment and 400$ for dell from 2 bn profit (or whatever is that they make these days per quarter)

not very moral but practical :p

I had this thot, and even completed it with a $400 charitable donation to a very worthy non-profit, so that technically the only benefit we'd get would be the tax break.

Reynolds talked me out of it, so I blame him. And women and children will starve this winter too because of him. :p

Well, Dell is really taking a pounding with this household for basic competence at this point.

I go on my trip. The wife talks to Dell while I'm gone. She tells them that since they aren't interested in selling us a 2405fpw already in our possession, they can have this one back --as soon as we get the 1905FP we ordered. They promise to call her back on Sunday (last Sunday) with instructions on how they propose to make the switch.

No call on Sunday.

The 1905FP shows up on Tuesday. Wife is happy with it. I think she's. . .umm. . .well, let's just say that sometimes the ways of wives are inscrutable and one of the most crucial successful husbanding skills is recognizing --early!-- when you've reached one of those places and Let It Go. So, anyway, wife is happier with the 1905FP than the 2405fpw --and this is the important thing, as it is hers and hers alone. Right? Right. Let It Go, Geo. Let It Go. :LOL:

But we've still got an extra 2405fpw of Dell's and no instructions on what to do with it.

So the next day after the 1905fp shows up, wife tells me on the phone that another, smaller, box has shown up from Dell. Ah ha, says me, pleased, I ordered you a soundbar for your monitor the next day after the original order. You have old (I mean ooooold --mid 90's?), large, crappy speakers on your desk anyway --these aren't much better quality-wise, but they don't take up any deskspace at all. Aren't I bright?

Well, okay, she says, after opening the box, but there are several pieces not one, and the biggest damn powerbrick I ever saw. Hmm, says I; wait until I get home.

What I ordered was this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Dell-AS501-Sound-Bar-LCD-Flat-Monitor-Speaker-R9252_W0QQitemZ8710334062QQcategoryZ3702QQcmdZViewItem The Dell AS501 soundbar, that is designed specifically for their monitors. And the monitors (both the 1905fp and the 2405fpw) have little plastic slots on the back at the bottom to hang it on.

So tonight I get home and look in the new box. First I pull out the shipping page. Yep, it clearly says "AS501 sndbar" on it.

Only, of course, it's not. It's two regular satellite speakers and a pc subwoofer (that damn big powerbrick --to be fair, she didn't really unwrap the whole thing; just enuf to see it clearly wasn't what I'd told her to expect).

So, now I've got another damn thing of Dell's I didn't order and can't use, and another fubar of their making to un-fu. :devilish:

They are sooo close with my wife to the dreaded "we will never, ever deal with these people again" list that it isn't funny. She's damn serious about that list too, believe me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shite, Occam's Razor would suggest he is right. It's either that or the mighty Dell can't find their ass with both hands and a map! :p

Back