Looking to buy a Dell 2405FPW LCD

<Rys> I need a Dell 2405FPW for high-res gaming testing, for graphics card reviews
<Rys' Boss> Lies.
<Rys> :p
<Rys' Boss> Really?
<Rys> Yes.
<Rys' Boss> K.
*2 weeks later*

monitors2.jpg

<Rys> :D

It arrived this morning, 8am. Worth getting out of bed for? My girlfriend took one look at it next to my Philips and said "you're overcompensating for something". Mortally wounded, I fired up some DoD: Source at 1920x1200 and played away those blues.

I love it.

I've been fidgeting.

I've been looking at online coupons.

I've been mentally calculating ways I'm going to mention it to my wife (which usually turns out to be more work mentally calculating than the actual conversation --she's a good 'un).

Typically when I get to this stage of the process it just. . .err, suddenly happens at some point.

Is there any chance that I'd seriously regret not waiting another six months? Because I've had this monitor for about six years now.

I absolutely love my 2405 for everything really. I think sometimes I can see the 16-bit panel limitations but I'm not positive that's actually the panel or the game. Doom3's lighting shows it certainly however. You can see banding.

I would buy this screen again in a moment though. It adds so much to immersion I can't express it in words really. Almost as good as a huge TV.

I love my woman. After a goodly bit of hemming and hawing on my part, once she'd dragged out of me what I wanted to do, her response was, "Please get me a 17" LCD while you're at it." Me: "No wife of mine is computing on anything less than a 19" LCD!" Her: "Deal."

Order placed for both.

swaaye said:
I absolutely love my 2405 for everything really. I think sometimes I can see the 16-bit panel limitations but I'm not positive that's actually the panel or the game. Doom3's lighting shows it certainly however. You can see banding.

I get banding in a # of games. It's most noticeable in EQ2's night sky, at least for the games I've played since getting the 2405.

John Reynolds said:
I get banding in a # of games. It's most noticeable in EQ2's night sky, at least for the games I've played since getting the 2405.

I wonder if Avivo will improve that once they get the drivers in shape (sounds like about Cat 5.12 they are aiming at).

Cheng said:
The dirty secret is that most of the Desktop and Notebook panels today are 8-bit and 6-bit, respectively. How our 10-bit display pipes benefit these panels is that we have a technology called the Advanced Dithering Engine, which dithers our true 10-bit data down to the 8-bit and 6-bit panels. So even if you have an 8-bit or 6-bit panel today, our 10-bit pipes offer much more precise and faithful reproduction of video and still images. Of course, we are seeing many new native 10-bit panels coming out this year and we will be able to support them natively.

So no one has any idea about me previous question eh?

Anyway I think I will get a 20" regular panel instead probably.

Sxotty said:
So no one has any idea about me previous question eh?

Anyway I think I will get a 20" regular panel instead probably.

I rather thot your question answered itself, in a "talk my way thru it" kind of way. ;)

I'm actually at least as excited about getting my 2405fpw for business reasons. I often have 15 or more windows open at the end of the day, and it will be on my "all in one box".

Tho I just realized this morning I'm off to California for a week right before it gets here. :cry: If I get really lucky it might show up that morning for a little praise and cherish before I have to leave for the airport.

The UPS guy is soooo getting a nice christmas thank you this year. Not only does he bring us tons of Amazon packages, but I just checked the Dell page and my 2405fpw and the wife's 1905fp are on the truck for delivery today, a day earlier than they'd said. Given that I just ordered it on Saturday and didn't ask for any special delivery, that's pretty darn good.

It also means I get a day to play with it, instead of the hour or so I was thinking I'd have tomorrow before I leave on a business trip.

Yippee! :D :D :D

geo said:
The UPS guy is soooo getting a nice christmas thank you this year. Not only does he bring us tons of Amazon packages, but I just checked the Dell page and my 2405fpw and the wife's 1905fp are on the truck for delivery today, a day earlier than they'd said. Given that I just ordered it on Saturday and didn't ask for any special delivery, that's pretty darn good.

It also means I get a day to play with it, instead of the hour or so I was thinking I'd have tomorrow before I leave on a business trip.

Yippee! :D :D :D

Dang. Mine was delayed - originally supposed to be here on the 19th and now it looks like tomorrow by UPS' tracking site :( Of course my HSF doesn't arrive until next week. Looks like I'll use the stock AMD cooler for a couple days.

Monty said:
so, anyone getting rid of their huge old crts then :p

My Viewsonic p85f and my phillips whateveritis 19-inchers go to the wife and kids :) So does my 3500+, corsair, Neo whatever platinum NF4 board and everything else.

Do packages move faster when tracked every two minutes or am I wasting my time and Fedex's and UPS' bandwidth? :D

Does this one have HDCP? Just curious, seems everyone wants widescreen and 1080i resolutions, is it just for the sake of gaming? I just ordered a Gateway FPD2185W, 21" widescreen, 1680 x 1050, 8ms g-g, Goes for $600.

It doesn't. Will there be a workaround I wonder? Some kind of dongle in between, or maybe go thru the component connections instead?

Himself said:
There is a dvi box in Germany for stripping the hdcp out of it, but costs $600.. :)

Well, when the demand goes up 1000x the price will come down. :p

Gloom, despair, and agony on me.
Deep dark depression; excessive misery.
If it 'tweren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.
Glood, despair, and agony on me.

They put it on the truck, and then didn't deliver it today. :cry:

I'm drowning my sorrows in Sapphire & tonics. Ghu only knows what I might say in RP&SC in another hour or so. :LOL:

Edit: YEEEEESSSSS!!!! The "officially give up" strategy worked! Guy even said "I'm usually here by 3pm." Me: "Yeah, I know".

Last edited by a moderator:
For those in the market for a smaller high performance 19/20 LCD, NEC has 3 brand new models with 4ms, 6ms, and 8ms response times.

1940CX: 8ms, 550:1 CR
90GX2: 4ms, 700:1 CR
20WMGX2: 6ms, 1600:1 CR (widescreen with built-in tv tuner)

I'm eyeing NEC's 20" widescreen myself. Anyway the link below is their older GX model for gauging relative performance against other manufacturers.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,122296,pg,1,00.asp

So it shows up around 7pm. Two boxes, because we ordered both a 2405fpw for me to replace my 19" CRT, and a 1905FP to replace my wife's 17" CRT.

The boxes are the same size, so I open one and it is the 2405FPW. Yippee! I get it all set up on my machine, enjoy a quick minute of 1080p video from MS site, and go open the second box to setup the 1905FP on my wife's machine.

So I pull it all out and put it on its base on the kitchen table. And it isn't a 1905FP. It's another 2405FPW. :oops: I look at the boxes, and they both have our address on them. I look at the packing slip and it says one 2405fpw and one 1905fp. I look at Dell's website at the order and it is correct as well.

So, the perfect opportunity to screw Mr. Dell for about $400.

And my conscience got me and I told them. They wrote back this morning wanting their monitor back. This is for my own good, you see, because I wouldn't be able to get service on that second monitor. :cool: They are offering a $100 credit just out of the goodness of their heart (very clear on that reasoning they are).

But it's already been on my wife's desk and called her "mama", so I told them why not let's just put the $100 towards the same price we got the other one at. That would be a second 2405FPW for less than $700.

We'll see, I guess.

Back