Fuddo or Fiction presentation!

What is your thread title supposed to mean? In plain English please.

Rys said:
What is your thread title supposed to mean? In plain English please.

Fud as in NVIDIA PR tactics to debunk opposition.

Definition http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci214113,00.html

Once again NVIDIA stoops to this level of FUD slinging as they did PowerVR tech before ATI Crossfire comes to fruition.

I just played with ATI codename for R520 to post the above.

I wanted some response here to NVIDIA's tactics especially for a product still to be released!

Some response? YAY!!!! :D

I'm serious. For nVidia to have to be slinging this much FUD this early before launch says a few things to me:

1. R520 is gonna be good

2. nVidia is worried at how good the R520 will be

3. R520 will be coming soon

You only spread FUD when you don't have an answer to the competition yourself. ;)

CMAN said:
What information in there was fud?

It was all true I think but it still qualifies as fud. It certainly raises fear, uncertainty and doubt about ATi ability to execute on its next generation technologies. They seem quite confident though - so if they were to drop a bomb on us in the wake of all this negative hype it would be an even sweeter deal for them.

Well they compare the tv wonder elite to their new dual tv tuner, but weren't there two entire generations of ati tuners after the tv wonder elite? What happened to them? Also much of the features they listed as being supported by PureVideo, isn't supported in the plugin like nVidia (because ATI doesn't have their own plugin), but rather the application. I'm sure they're well aware of this.

Jesus Christ, it's a press presentation with no lies, misinformation (well, little mistruths depending on how you intepret it) or malice towards any other IHV.

I was there in the room when it was first presented in Europe so forgive me when I go nuts at people reading between the lines as if the original lines aren't even there.

Stop it; there is no FUD to see, just a bloody presentation to press that techPowerup deem hilarous to publish for some unknown reason.

Rys said:
Jesus Christ, it's a press presentation with no lies, misinformation (well, little mistruths depending on how you intepret it) or malice towards any other IHV.

I was there in the room when it was first presented in Europe so forgive me when I go nuts at people reading between the lines as if the original lines aren't even there.

Stop it; there is no FUD to see, just a bloody presentation to press that techPowerup deem hilarous to publish for some unknown reason.
Nice

Rys said:

I guess my understanding of FUD is off then. I didn't know that FUD necessarily had to include lies or misinformation. I thought it was anything that magnified negative aspects of the competition's existing or upcoming products and instilled a certain lack of confidence in these products in the public.

Although, it's true that most FUD is usually overblown or made up crap.

digitalwanderer said:

I'm serious. For nVidia to have to be slinging this much FUD this early before launch says a few things to me:

1. R520 is gonna be good

You only spread FUD when you don't have an answer to the competition yourself. ;)

Uhm, they always sling mud regardless of competition being better or not. :smile:

trinibwoy said:
I guess my understanding of FUD is off then. I didn't know that FUD necessarily had to include lies or misinformation. I thought it was anything that magnified negative aspects of the competition's existing or upcoming products and instilled a certain lack of confidence in these products in the public.

Although, it's true that most FUD is usually overblown or made up crap.

It's just a mostly accurate tech presentation for press with one reference to ATI where they big up their upcoming dual tuner card.

I think it's one thing to belittle your competition in sales presentations and media (where surely geeing up your sales staff is a good thing anyway) and it's another to belittle them in front of (hopefully) smart hacks that'd see right through it, especially when you should be talking about your own products. That didn't happen.

I don't especially disagree with the nature of the sales-team media either. If I were selling a product, I'd want my sales team rallied around my message and getting a sale from your competitor is the nature of the beast.

And I wish this proud display (especially with piss-all commentary from the leaking site. If you want to show off that you have something you shouldn't, at least say something about it to show people you understand the mess you're making) of confidential documents would just go away completely.

Rys said:

Heh. I'm probably known for having a sensitivity to this kind of thing, and I didn't see anything objectionable.

digitalwanderer said:

1. R520 is gonna be good

Does that vicious knee-jerk ever cause you to injure yourself? Just curious.

I like the part where it said (somewhere halfway trough) that nvidia had nTune and Ati didn't...

now.. I wonder why THAT is..

Anands review

Of the saphirre mobo based on the rs 200 seems to put that fud to shame indeed. And I dont really care about usb 2.0 issues of bw. I dont think most use it. Its not like it doesnt work. Its just a bit slower.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2481

Still need to see the crossfire review of that chipset but so far Id be more than happy to see saphirre bundle a free mobo with its x1800xt cards like we saw with the 7800 gtx.

pax said:
Of the saphirre mobo based on the rs 200 seems to put that fud to shame indeed. And I dont really care about usb 2.0 issues of bw. I dont think most use it. Its not like it doesnt work. Its just a bit slower.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2481

Still need to see the crossfire review of that chipset but so far Id be more than happy to see saphirre bundle a free mobo with its x1800xt cards like we saw with the 7800 gtx.

I hate to say it, but NV didn't say in the presentation USB doesn't work at all, they just said it was slower than competing solutions, which is correct.

digitalwanderer said:

1. R520 is gonna be good

Worried about what? What do they have to answer to? What competition?
I don't see any Nvidia PR people posting here. I don't see nvidia passing private emails. I don't see nvidia lowering themselves to do this. They just gave a presentation, and all of it is true.

Back