Nintendo e3 thread 3

But Apple doesn't force you to use "Steve Job's Pinball", "Steve Job's FinalCut" and "Steve Job's iTunes" That's what piss me off about Nintendo.
nope, they just make iTunes, iLife, iChat, iMovie (iMovie HD now), iPhoto, iWork, iCal, iDVD, and iSync to use on your iMac and iPod.

as for the "virtual console" i wish other hardware partners would get involved. NEC is supplying the system LSI for revolution, it would be sweet to play some classic TG16 games on revolution as well. i'd buy tricky kick again in a second.

i haven't heard anyone bitch about it yet, but i hope the revolution "logo" (if you want to call it that) they used durring the press conferance isn't going to be used.. for anything... ever. that thing is horrid.

whatever7 said:
Apple also consistantly bring their hot selling hardwares (iPod) up to spec to fan off the competition.

Not quite true. Actually they're behind the competition (and have been for a long time) in almost every aspect, except ... hm, words fail me here, let's say presentation (I'm talking about iPod here) ? A combination of ease of use, attractive design, and ... well the general feeling of holding one in your hands (it's cool, I want one).

Guys you can't really argue Nintendo have pretty much said they would trade in processing muscle/tech, for a tiny case design and or lower development costs. They have good intentions, Iwata is trying to address a decline in the japanese market.

Iwata
Of course, we are applying advances in technology. But when you use those advances just to boost the processing power, the trade-off is that you increase power consumption, make the machine more expensive and make developing games more expensive. When I look at the balance of that trade-off -- what you gain and what you lose -- I don't think it's good. Nintendo is applying the benefits of advanced technology, but we're using it to make our machines more power-efficient, quieter and faster to start.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/225097_e3iwata20.html

SsP45 said:
Since the Revolution leaked specs thread was locked for no apparent reason (no swearing, disrespecting or anything; just a good talk about the realities of modern design and the the Nintendo console) lets continue here.

Here's my reasoning for thinking the Revolution can't be as fast as the other 2.

- tiny form-factor with no apparent room for any large heatsinks or active cooling
- Nintendo generally tries to make inexpensive consoles (they don't want to lose too much money per unit sold), so that necessitates smallers transistor counts, sizes, power, etc
- Nintendo may have $8B in the bank, but they aren't usually as big a spenders as MS or Sony, at least IMO
- rumours that Nintendo may try and make the Revolution slightly portable, meaning it will need to consume little power.

How much do you know about cooling systems? I'm not talking about PC's either.

Why did Nintendo invest $1 Billion into Gekko development? I can provide link(s) if you want me to.

Yet the GC can outclass the PS2 in IQ and performance in most areas.

Especially since Nintendo may be using Strained Silicone directly on Insulator from IBM that reduces power consumption without affecting performance.

See the problem your arguements, is Nintendo unlike anyone on this board has billions of dollars to invest in R&D.

I should hope the GC would outclass the PS2 when it comes to IQ since it was relased 1 1/2 years later... but here's some food for thought. As I stated before, the GC is larger than the Revolution is going to be, significantly in fact (if you can believe it). On top of that, I think we can all agree that the GC had a better CPU than the Xbox because they had a custom design, while Xbox simply used a 733 Celeron. Also, the Gamecube was customized much more to be a console whereas the Xbox was not. With the PS2, as mentioned earlier Sony released much earlier so they were behind in technology. Also, Sony made a mistake when it came to their architecture (making the EE very difficult to code for, making the RS underpowered, etc...) The simple fact is, none of this carries over into this generation. The PS3 and X360 are using custom build designs made to get as much as possible out of the hardware that they can get access to (which is more powerful than what is commercially available). So, the smaller size of the Revolution (even smaller than Gamecube), combined with a better offering from Sony and MS means that Nintendo will not be able to keep up in terms of performance if they keep the box that small.

Enough guys . Stop with the fighting over this subject . We will most likely know at tgs whats going on . So cool it

I'm opening this up again but no more fighting about the size and power of the console and whats possible or not .

jvd said:
Enough guys . Stop with the fighting over this subject . We will most likely know at tgs whats going on . So cool it

It's not fighting, it's discussion. It's what you do on discussion boards, discuss stuff. No one's insulting eachother, it's all being kept very civilized. I don't see the problem here...
________
VOLCANO DIGITAL REVIEW

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been insults that were edited out and the arguements are not productive at all. So drop the subject .

I disagree, I've learned a lot through many arguments on this and other boards, but I digress... Not another word shall be said oh great one... I shall henceforth move to one of the other threads and throw out speculative nonsense and completely random false figures in an attempt to not learn anything, and completely agree with each and every opinion expressed on this board.

Has Nintendo said at all how many older games from NES, SNES, and N64 will be downloadable, or the price for such downloads? Will the Revolution just have an emulator on it, or will Nintendo have to re-write the games to work on Revolution?
________
Ktm 200Xc-W

Last edited by a moderator:
Mordecaii, GCN was both smaller and cheaper to manufacture than PS2 or Xbox yet it's power is between the two.

Fast forward to next generation. Xbox 360 is smaller than Xbox. PS3 is about the same size as PS2. Revolution will be released after both PS3 and Xbox 360.

As was stated previously, I'm not arguing this point anymore... Although if you will look at the previously locked thread about the leaked revolution specs, I pointed out why it would be basically impossible, and almost everyone agreed with me. But hey, since we're ignoring physics, I think I'll go create a processor that runs at 1 teraflop and can fit into my ipod mini with sufficient cooling...

Mordecaii said:
As was stated previously, I'm not arguing this point anymore... Although if you will look at the previously locked thread about the leaked revolution specs, I pointed out why it would be basically impossible, and almost everyone agreed with me. But hey, since we're ignoring physics, I think I'll go create a processor that runs at 1 teraflop and can fit into my ipod mini with sufficient cooling...

1. 65nm will be available next year and Intel will be using it later this year.

2. NEC has a low profile and compact water cooling mechanism designed for notebook computers that can easily work in small spaces like inside the Revolution.

You don't know anything about physics or engineering so it's better to not pretend. :LOL:

And you know nothing about me, so it's better not to pretend... but anyway DROP IT! And please... it's fine to be a little biased one way or the other but try to realize the difference between what you hope and what is likely.

Edit: You also clearly did not read the thread I pointed out, so perhaps you'd like to tell me that you are correct while everyone who agreed with me doesn't know anything?

Mordecaii said:
And you know nothing about me, so it's better not to pretend... but anyway DROP IT! And please... it's fine to be a little biased one way or the other but try to realize the difference between what you hope and what is likely.

Edit: You also clearly did not read the thread I pointed out, so perhaps you'd like to tell me that you are correct while everyone who agreed with me doesn't know anything?

If it is unlikely then it's because of other factors such as console price, console goals etc., not because of the size of Revolution's chassis.

Getting people to agree with you doesn't make you more right. Regardless there were people who disagreed with you too so I guess you're right AND wrong. :LOL:

In other news Nintendo offers free internation calling using the DS. 8)

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000383044065/

This is still just a concept demo, but it is a working demo: DSpeak is basically Voice over IP calling using the wireless capabilities of the Nintendo DS. Using a connected headphone/microphone, DSpeak allows you to hold conversations with other DS users via WiFi, and the audio quality is reportedly “perfectly fine, as good as a mobile phone.â€￾ Plus, you get little Mario and Wario icons moving their mouths when you speak — come on, Vonage, how you gonna beat that? The software itself will be available as a free download, and the booth boy told us that they’ll be including headsets with DSpeak-compatible games (the headset will probably also be available for sale separately for some nominal fee). Otherwise that’s about all we know—we couldn’t squeeze a release date out of them, and no one at the Nintendo booth knew a damn thing about the actual technology they were demoing.

So far it's limited to DS to DS calling. This is pretty cool no roaming charges either if you can find a free hotspot. :p

I guess Nintendo beat SONY to a working portable game machine/phone concept. :LOL: ;)

gba-micro-sp.jpg

http://img.engadget.com/common/images/8302965874342631.JPG?0.2350195647622022

I can't wait to get one. 8)

PC-Engine said:
You don't know anything about physics or engineering so it's better to not pretend. :LOL:

Ah, the PC-Engine of old. ;)

PC-Engine said:
I guess Nintendo beat SONY to a working portable game machine/phone concept. :LOL: ;)

Were they going for that? I guess everyone is behind the NGage when it comes to this.

I believe that Nintendo is not going to the technical game but more to a low cost game.

Imagine the situation, Sony and Microsoft consoles are between 250-300 dolars and the Nintendo console is between the 100-150 euros, with less powerful hardware but with interesting things like the DS.

And for software the situation could be clear, the high cost productions for the Sony and Microsoft consoles and the low cost productions for the Nintendo console.

If the market has a platform that permits to the developers the making of impressive 3D games without an huge pressupost for making money and financing the the high cost games all of we will win.

And for the technical specs I am going to speculate to the maximum.

LSI Broadway.
2.5Ghz.
CPU+GPU+Sound in one.
CPU: Gekko at 2.5Ghz, with an VMX-128 and supporting multithreading.
GPU: Flipper, but with 8 TMU and 2 pixel clocks per TMU, running at 2.5Ghz because is part of the chip, now support complete Vertex Shaders.
Sound: Same as GCN, but supporting more channels and Dolby Digital 5.1
12MB of Mosys 1T-SRAM-Q embedded on the Broadway that can be acceded by the CPU and the GPU at the same time.

PPU from NEC.
A PPU from NEC a second chip, is not the same PPU that ageia has.

Back