Best heatsink/fan combo for Intel 775 CPUs?

Zalman's 120mm copper flower sink, or thermalright's 92mm or 120mm aluminium-fin heatpipe coolers. Gigabyte's rocket heatpipe cooler (the newest version) with the internal blower fan is also very good. Thermaltake's copper tower sink is badass too.

Guden Oden said:
Zalman's 120mm copper flower sink, or thermalright's 92mm or 120mm aluminium-fin heatpipe coolers.

I was looking at the Zalmans. The copper ones weigh a ton. Is this a problem?

I think there over $50 as well.

I love my Zalman 7000cu, but I'm not sure if it fits that chip or mobo.

(I had to modify mine slightly to get it to fit my NF7-S rev2. Read "modify" as "spend about 20 minutes grinding a bit of a space in a support to accomodate a capacitor" ;) )

The Thermalright XP-120 has the best cooling performance around and doesn't weigh anywhere near as much as the Copper Zalmans. Allied to a quiet fan, this ought to be the kind of thing you are looking for.

Check out this link to SilentPCReview. They do excellent in-depth reviews.

For that cpu, I think a pelter setup would be most appropriate, given the heat output :D

digitalwanderer said:
Zalman CNPS7700-Cu, $50 at NewEgg.com

A tad more than ya wanted to spend, but it is a gorgeous looking cooler that is quiet and powerful. :)

Sure, Zalman's coolers are one of the best but little heavy too. 7700Cu has 918g vs. Intel recommends max 400g, IIRC so it's potentialy dangerous.

radeonic2 said:
For that cpu, I think a pelter setup would be most appropriate, given the heat output :D

Yeah, let's triple the heat output with a 200W peltier shall we! :p

Anyway as for "dangerous" heatsinks; the zalman sink mounts through the mobo which is made of glass fibre and resin laminate - incredibly strong stuff - and the CPU die is protected by its heatplate. Any "risk" will be minimal as long as the sink is attached properly. And, if the computer needs to be moved, just lay it down so the mobo is flat and parallel to the ground in case it's a tower model, that way there's much less force exerted on the system.

I freaked out at the weight of my 7000cu too at first, but Guden is right and when you mount it directly to the board the way the Zalman mounts it can hold a WHOLE lot more weight than you would expect easily.

I really am impressed with my own Zalman experience, it's a disturbingly nice and high-quality cooler. :)

Back