RE 4 Impressions..?..

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably a case of cut-scenes being rendered in-engine ala the replays in Gran Turismo 3. (?)

More effects are applied for non-interactive scenes because the GameCube has some more headroom in a static environment.

No A.I. to deal with, etc etc..

Blade said:
It's probably a case of cut-scenes being rendered in-engine ala the replays in Gran Turismo 3. (?)

More effects are applied for non-interactive scenes because the GameCube has some more headroom in a static environment.

No A.I. to deal with, etc etc..

Does a static environment only free up cpu time or does it free up gpu time as well? Would freeing up cpu time actually help for graphics on gamecube?

BTW, do doom 3's cinematics look better than its ingame or are they exactly the same?

Yes, simply because you can guarantee the framerate when the camera is fixed. In-game you have to scale back so that your minimum framerate doesn't drop too low.

Johnny Awesome said:
Yes, simply because you can guarantee the framerate when the camera is fixed. In-game you have to scale back so that your minimum framerate doesn't drop too low.

you may want to rephrase that as 'when the camera is pre-defined', as people could interpret 'fixed' as stationary/motionless.

Fox5 said:
Gamecube can do DOF in game, take a look at starfox adventures.

RE4 has intro movies(the title screens plus leon's little prologue), and I'd imagine the ending will be a cinematic cutscene. At least they usually are in RE games, though I can't remember if code veronica's was.

Yes and those intro movies were captured using realtime cutscene graphics. Anyway the graphics in this game just gets better and better. I just got to the hot lava level and everything looks so cool. DOF, heat wave, HDR.

PC-Engine said:
Yes and those intro movies were captured using realtime cutscene graphics. Anyway the graphics in this game just gets better and better. I just got to the hot lava level and everything looks so cool. DOF, heat wave, HDR.

HDR? Sure about that?

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

HDR? Sure about that?

Rebel Strike supposendly supports it. IGN even has a video comparision showing before and after. As I recall, it looked like they put a layer of fog on the image and everything wasn't lit uniformly, but I don't know if that's HDR.

Fox5 said:
london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

HDR? Sure about that?

Rebel Strike supposendly supports it. IGN even has a video comparision showing before and after. As I recall, it looked like they put a layer of fog on the image and everything wasn't lit uniformly, but I don't know if that's HDR.

That's called light scattering.

Imo HRD is just a nice buzzword, but its not a bid deal. Its just a name for the capability of recent graphics cards to more accurately do the same bloom and overbright effects that have been possible through various methods for a while now.

Sure all bloom effects in consoles games are not HRD, but if the look the same for the most part, who cares?

It seems most people still missunderstand what HDR is. Let me give you an example: IRL, when you are in a very dark room, you can see pretty well, and if you look at a very lit room it will look super bright (in this case, a bloom). On the contrary, if you're in a very lit room and you look at a dark room, you'll see nothing. The changes in the amount light your eyes let through is HDR.

Crytek released a video a few weeks ago that among other things shows what I just explained.

Oh man I'm just lovin this game!!

Just got to the Cavern level....OMG the TEXTURES and lighting!!!

If Capcom can get these kind of graphical effects on GCN, I have no idea what they'll be able to pull off on Revolution. This game is amazingly long too and varied. Shenmue style QTE, minigames, weapons shop, and damn the environments/levels are just mind blowing creative. Then there are the bosses and mini bosses that are so incredibly detailed it makes all other bosses on all other consoles obsolete.

PC-Engine said:

If Capcom can get these kind of graphical effects on GCN, I have no idea what they'll be able to pull off on Revolution. This game is amazingly long too and varied. Shenmue style QTE, minigames, weapons shop, and damn the environments/levels are just mind blowing creative. Then there are the bosses and mini bosses that are so incredibly detailed it makes all other bosses on all other consoles obsolete.

I disagree, the game is much better than that.

Tuttle said:
PC-Engine said:

I disagree, the game is much better than that.

What game is much better than what?

I have just completed RE4 and I must say that this is hands down the best game I have ever played since Zelda OOT. :D If you have a Gamecube, BUY THIS GAME NOW!! and if you have a PS2 (and don't want a GCN) make sure to buy RE4 when it comes out. Trust me when I say that this game kicks an insurmountable amount of ass.

I just got past the bit with all the lava. What can I say, I thought this game already had the most impressive graphics I'd seen, but this bit just raised the bar further.

The lava looks amazing, firing up around you as you walk along. Heat distortions and smoke everywhere and the most incredible fire I've ever seen in a game flowing all around. Never a choppy moment either (even when fire engulfed me once or twice). I had to stop fighting for a while just to look around a few times. Easily the most jaw droppingly beautiful sight in any game ever created on any platform (unless I missed a pretty amazing looking game :)).

yes, im on my fourth go round, lol. that is why you guys have not seen me in awhile. On another forum a guy had a link to the old version RE4 build. I think they should have kept some of it in there, the flashlight element was cool ala Silent Hill.

Seems this finished version though highly polished, lost some of the graphical quality of the old build. But like PC-Engine said, this is one game that is worth the whole cube, let alone this final Zelda coming out later this year.

I'm dying to see PS2 pics of RE4, I think they can get closed to it, I wish they can use those tricks the SC: Chaos Theory guys are using, or using the extra DVD space to add to graphical quality, or fully use the VU1 and VU0.

Sigh, they can do it, but of any of you guys get pics, please post em.
Peace and Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back