PSP Impressions

PC-Engine said:
The numbers are in and PSP sold 171,963 units on launch day not 200K.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=a9_2ii0b3FMo&refer=asia
Holy crap, PC... Out of all the stupid-ass comments you could dredge up, this is one of the stupidest.

What do you THINK accounts for discrepencies in numbers? Being opened by stores for display models? Held in reserve by employees or whoever they could get away with? Some shipments help up in transit? Customers not able to actually locate every single unit in an entire country?

Or wait, because the Nintendo DS sold 90% of its available stock in a week despite pre-orders exceeding available stock by a factor of four, PSP's ability to only sell 85% of its stock on day one means precisely... what?

---We now bring you back to functional discussions, already in progress---

one said:
version said:

VRAM 2MB + Media Engine 2MB

Maybe stupid question, but is there any hardware "guru" who has seriously looked at the PSP's architecture ?

Hmm... could do it myself, but the number of block diagrams I've seen so far are relatively vague.

Except that I'm surprised they support H.264 MP@L3 for video playback via UMD. Surprised, because I've some clue what it means it terms of hardware and processing (ever heard of CABAC ?).

Video and Sound decoding is handled by two dedicated chips: the AVC decoder handles video decoding (or the bulk of MPEG4 AVC decoding) while the 5 GOPS monster, the VME (a re-configurable DSP) handles sound decoding and sound processing as well as assist the AVC chip.

For DRM purposes (even though there is separate silicon for secure I/O taht handles 128 bits AES encryption), I/O and who knows exactly what else ;) you have in a non-user-programmable function a full customized R4000i core, separate from the main CPU which is another R4000i with the addition of the VFPU (together with a more traditional FPU), with an FPU and it runs at a speed selectable between 1 MHz and 333 MHz (it can be controlled through the software IIRC).

To Recap:

CPU = R4000i + FPU + VFPU

Media Engine = R4000i + FPU

The Media Engine has control of the AVC chip and the VME chip as well as the other blocks used for I/O, cryptography, DRM, etc...

So Pana,

Did you manage to find out if the VPU and FPU can be used together at once ?

Also what's the final bandwidth to the external main memory ?

Or wait, because the Nintendo DS sold 90% of its available stock in a week despite pre-orders exceeding available stock by a factor of four, PSP's ability to only sell 85% of its stock on day one means precisely... what?

It simply means if Nintendo had only shipped 200K units, it would've sold out on day one and 30K customers would've went back home without a NDS. PSP didn't sell 200K units on day one, it only sold 172K that's all we need to know. BTW this is a PSP thread so I don't know why you're comparing NDS sales numbers to PSP.

PC-Engine said:

It simply means if Nintendo had only shipped 200K units, it would've sold out on day one and 30K customers would've went back home without a NDS. PSP didn't sell 200K units on day one, it only sold 172K that's all we need to know. BTW this is a PSP thread so I don't know why you're comparing NDS sales numbers to PSP.

[Logic]This is a PSP IMPRESSIONS thread, so i don't know why you' posting sales figures...
[/Logic]

Well this PSP impressions thread didn't stop others from posting launch day events and sales figures. Just posting concrete numbers for those interested.

PC-Engine said:
Well this PSP impressions thread didn't stop others from posting launch day events and sales figures. Just posting concrete numbers for those interested.

I know silly i was just teasing.

Besides, they posted it to show there is an interest, you posted what you poasted, the way you posted to "show" that PSP isn't selling as much as expected and feed your agenda...

Oh let's drop this, it's always the same argument all over again.

PC-Engine said:
Why? Because:

PSP: ~200k shipped country-wide, 85% sold day one (no pre-ordering allowed)
DS: ~500k shipped country-wide, 90% sold week one (two million+ pre-orders)

Tell me, which one indicates "bad" and which indicates "good" and which indicates "the way products are typically sold."

Setting forth launch numbers is just fine, but yours was phrased as an accusation. So I ask you again... why?

Hmm... could do it myself, but the number of block diagrams I've seen so far are relatively vague.
Hehe, I guess PS2 really spoiled people in this regard, but you know, detailed specifications of a console being publically disclosed aren't a normal thing. And even PS2 didn't get there until few years later, it started as a few vague block diagrams too :p
Anyway, I'm afraid PSP is highly unlikely to follow PS2 in that regard.

PCEngine said:
it only sold 172K that's all we need to know.
IIRC, another sales tracking company reported 190+.

my stock of psp's arrived this morning....

wh-psp2.jpg

who wants one :D

cthellis42 said:
PC-Engine said:
Why? Because:

PSP: ~200k shipped country-wide, 85% sold day one (no pre-ordering allowed)
DS: ~500k shipped country-wide, 90% sold week one (two million+ pre-orders)

Tell me, which one indicates "bad" and which indicates "good" and which indicates "the way products are typically sold."

Setting forth launch numbers is just fine, but yours was phrased as an accusation. So I ask you again... why?

1. If you want to compare, DS sold 230K on day one.

2. AFAIK some stores allowed preorders for PSP.

3. I'm not trying to say DS sold better than PSP or vice versa. I'm just saying it sold less than 200K on day one therefore it didn't sell out on day one.

3. I'm not trying to say DS sold better than PSP or vice versa. I'm just saying it sold less than 200K on day one therefore it didn't sell out on day one.

So it didn't completely sell out - it's already been pointed out how difficult that is. What point are you trying to make? Because it sounds like you're trying to imply that it didn't sell out; therefore it was a dud launch or not as successful as some people would like to think. I disagree, people went nuts buying the things.

If that wasn't your point, what was?

Are you afraid the DS is going to get creamed by the PSP? Is that why you're being so defensive?

When was I defensive?

And no why would I be afraid of NDS getting creamed? Why are you getting defensive? 172K units sold on day one out of 200K units available wasn't what you expected after seeing those pictures with long lines of people? PSP button, disc ejecting, dead pixels getting you defensive? :LOL:

Oh and did I mention PS1 loading times on some games?

PC-Engine said:
172K units sold on day one out of 200K units available wasn't what you expected after seeing those pictures with long lines of people?
Statistically, selling out, completely, a product on its first day on the market, when hundreds retailers are selling the products, is highly improbable. And that for various reasons, that have already been pointed out by cthellis42.

Well it depends on how many units you make available at launch. If SONY made 500K available like Nintendo, the numbers sold would probably be less than the 172K...as people wouldn't be as concerned about not being able to buy one therefore waiting a day or two to get one.

Back