Final Fantasy XVI (FF16) [PS5]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
For me FFXVI was interesting game. Completed that some months ago. I plan complet it socend time but this time with side quests and DLCs. And to be honest, I was very impressed with graphics. Game looks amazing!

It's not quite that bad. But it is certainly closer to that sort of linearity versus something like FFXV.

FFXIII is like the most linear you can possibly make an RPG, it's crazy. The feeling of linearity is the big issue, cuz there's almost nothing else to do(at least not until quite a bit later in the game). Even FFX had some sidequests, backtracking, towns, that could all break up the pacing a bit.

FFXVI also has enough pacing breaks and whatnot to not feel as linear as it is underneath, which is important.
I thought FF 13 was incredibly boring. I wouldn’t necessarily want an open world RPG, but FF 6,7,9 all struck a good balance between some focused story telling and freedom to explore and do side quests. FF13 is the only game I have played that is a later entree than the three previously mentioned titles. Not sure how any of the others fare.

I was also bored with 13. It was way too linear. The story didn't captivate me and didn't make any sense either.

Btw does the performance mode has been fixed?

Or at the very least, added VRR LFC support?

I was also bored with 13. It was way too linear. The story didn't captivate me and didn't make any sense either.
Focus!

Seriously tho, the story is a bit easier to understand in Japanese to me.

Turns out "focus" in Japanese means job / destiny / task to obey.

That instantly made all these things about your focus, my focus, that person focus. Made more sense.

They are slave to their job / task / destiny. We are trying to break that.

I have very low expectations for the port but at least people will get to play at a resolution higher than 720p with FSR.

The only Final Fantasy game I've got is 12 is that one of the better ones ?
It's a little divisive, but I think most people these days do consider it one of the better Final Fantasies, yea.

I love it. It's a big game, it's got a surprisingly serious story and plenty of stuff to do. Also one problem I have with RPG's that have a party but also real-time combat, is that you tend to need to rely on the intelligence of the AI to make your other party members useful in combat - that, or a real time w/pause system, which I'm not huge on. But FFXII has still solved this issue better than any game since, since you can seriously fine tune the behavior of your partners in combat through gambits. Super clever system, essentially giving the player programming control over the AI, all while being quite intuitive to use.

Just keep in mind it's a fair bit different to the other games in the series, so isn't necessarily representative, for better or worse.

Thanks, what FF would you recommend (I know I've asked this question before but don't end up acting on it, then I forget what the answer was)

Thanks, what FF would you recommend (I know I've asked this question before but don't end up acting on it, then I forget what the answer was)

Depending on what games do you like?

As each FF are very different

16 more serious story, mixed with teen angst in old people (mid life crisis?). Delivered in an action gameplay with level and main quest design that ranges from awesomely crafted to boring cookie cutter. Especially awesome early on, And more boring later on.

15 young adults with serious story and teen angst mixed together. Delivered with action gameplay that's not too hectic due to the time slow mechanic, and main quest design that ranges from awesomely crafted to boring cookie cutter. Complete with levels and story that felt rushed / incomplete. Albeit much better now than at launch. Amazing music and joy of exploration.

14 dunno. I instantly got confused playing it

13 series very complex story. Amazing music. Turn based gameplay mixed with action. Very bad quest design.

12 didn't like it from start so dodnt5olay much

11 didn't play

10 amazing music and story. Classic turn based gameplay.

9 don't really remember but the story was a mix of serious and fun stuff. Also turn based

8 amazing music. Classic turn based battle. Can't remember the quests. Amazing implementation of using 3d cgi background video with real time 3d render.

7 didn't play

7 Rebirth remake series. Amazingly polished. Action gameplay that could be overwhelming. Serious mixed with fun story. Very linear in story mode. Open world is not as fun to explore as ff15. On ff15, simply walking around feels amazing.

I think FFX is probably the easiest answer, without knowing any specific preferences of a given person. But the games can vary so much that no single entry is gonna definitively demonstrate whether you like the series or not.

VII is probably the most highly acclaimed title, though its dated graphics and whatnot aren't gonna be to everybody's tastes nowadays. The remake is a distinctly different sort of experience, so isn't really a replacement for it at all, either.

Last edited:
From what I'm seeing in the demo, this is probably the worst optimized engine on the market, together with team Ninja's engine. A 5700 for 720p at 30fps? Both on console and PC, it's a disaster.

Its running great for me, on a 4070ti super and a 13600k, not using an overlay but definitely over 60 at max settings, 4k with DLSS, no FG. However, cutscenes seem locked at 30fps, some are obvious pre-rendered, but a few that seem real time are also choppy.

Back