Lossless Scaling. Machine learning Frame Generation and upscaling on ANY GPU!

After Cyan's glowing review, I think I have to buy this and use it on my laptop. It's got a 1660ti and a 120hz screen, so I'm not really hitting the max refresh rate in any recent release, don't have DLSS, and don't have frame gen. This $7 app might keep this laptop relevant for a bit longer.
does your laptop's display have VRR? Just curious...

Wish we had something like this for my previous laptop, which featured an i7-7700HQ and a GTX 1050Ti 4GB. It was decent enoug and I completed Doom 2016 on that laptop, but it'd be more efficient and since I don't like noise when playing, LS could be helfpul. It isn't free at all, but the GPU and specially the CPU rest a bit more when you use it.

Last edited:
thanks for the information, keep it coming. Alas I can't test DLSS nor DLSS FG, but no doubt nVidia are the best at what they do as of now, so I am sure theirs is the better solution.

That being said, I am very surprised that Lossless Scaling even works that well taking into account it is tripling the framerate adding two additional frames instead of 1, and it's not GPU model dependent.

It's been a solid application, at least on my rig, after testing many games and quite a few hours using it. It's not perfect but having this app changed the way I am playing my games, since now I use Rivatuner (locking games to 55fps) and Lossless Scaling both at Windows startup on my W11 partition for gaming.

With very specific games I have to decrease the locked framerate with Rivatuner to 41fps -1/4 of my 165Hz display- or 30fps, but other than that, 55fps + Lossless Scaling has allowed me to play MOST of my games to 165fps on my 165Hz display, and that alone is a win.

With the games I lock to 41fps or 30fps, whether it is 123fps or 90fps, the VRR of the monitor works great with it....

I had never managed to run so many games at 165fps before, and I am a sucker for low power usage and efficiency, so this has been a great app.
I've only been using the x2 frame gen for my tests, my monitor is 144hz and depending on the game and time of year I normally cap it to 90 or 120 anyway. My grayzone and warframe tests probably have a negative tone because my elden ring test just impressed the hell out of me. It's obviously going to have some issues here and there and those 2 negative ones are from an early access game and the other is in like it's 12th? year of beta lol.

It's a great tool to have in the toolbox, and the price is low enough that even if I only ever used it with elden ring it's worth it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to find more uses for it though and like you mentioned it could be another way for me to reduce power use and heat in summer. I've already told my friend with the 3070 to get it.

I'm not sure what will be my next test will be with erd tree about to do a number on my spare time but I will keep reporting back as I try it on different things. It's basically going to sit along side afterburner/riva tuner as a tool that's always installed ready to go.

edit: This guy has done numerous videos on amd fg and he seems pretty happy with lossless aswell. Although he needs to work out the hotkey to turn it on and off ;)

Last edited:
does your laptop's display have VRR? Just curious...

Wish we had something like this for my previous laptop, which featured an i7-7700HQ and a GTX 1050Ti 4GB. It was decent enoug and I completed Doom 2016 on that laptop, but it'd be more efficient and since I don't like noise when playing, LS could be helfpul. It isn't free at all, but the GPU and specially the CPU rest a bit more when you use it.
Honestly, I don't remember but I think it does have a VRR display. I don't play games on it very often, but when I do, I can usually get acceptable framerates if I turn down settings on on it. But some more recent games, like Helldivers 2 and Hellblade 2 - So sequels of games with Hell in the title, have been more in the 40-50ish range at best, so being able to use Lossless Scaling to smooth that up to 120 would be fantastic. With reflex, I generally find the input latency of 40-50fps to be fine, so I'm happy to hear that latency is about the same with LSFG.
I had an older laptop with basically the same specs you mention. It was an HP Omen. 17" screen, and played games well enough. But one day... It just turned off and wouldn't turn back on. I sort of miss that thing. It was really loud, but ran every game I threw at it. But it was also too big.

I've only been using the x2 frame gen for my tests, my monitor is 144hz and depending on the game and time of year I normally cap it to 90 or 120 anyway. My grayzone and warframe tests probably have a negative tone because my elden ring test just impressed the hell out of me. It's obviously going to have some issues here and there and those 2 negative ones are from an early access game and the other is in like it's 12th? year of beta lol.

It's a great tool to have in the toolbox, and the price is low enough that even if I only ever used it with elden ring it's worth it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to find more uses for it though and like you mentioned it could be another way for me to reduce power use and heat in summer. I've already told my friend with the 3070 to get it.

I'm not sure what will be my next test will be with erd tree about to do a number on my spare time but I will keep reporting back as I try it on different things. It's basically going to sit along side afterburner/riva tuner as a tool that's always installed ready to go.

edit: This guy has done numerous videos on amd fg and he seems pretty happy with lossless aswell. Although he needs to work out the hotkey to turn it on and off ;)

nice video, except for the keyboard shortcut to enable LS xD. That being said, I use Performance mode and it isn't bad. In fact I'd recommend it over default mode for most PCs 'cos I didn't notice artifacts and the base framerate doesn't decrease that much -if at all in some cases-. For computers like @see colon laptop is a great option.

Btw, I liked how he tested LS on a less powerful computer, on a mini PC, and it works there nicely too. That's a very realistic approach since I have a low-end machine these days, although the A770 is an ok GPU.

I didn't bother with 2X fps increase either, I always used the 3X option just to match my display's framerate. It's much easier for my A770 16GB to run games at 55fps than 82, and except on very demanding games, the GPU's noise is low overall with 3X FG enabled --along with Performance mode.

Last edited:
forgot to mention that this app also works with videos, so if you have a 60fps video or a 30fps video, you can triple that....

out of curiosity, I tried it on the Contra Anniversary Collection from Konami. A game that contains several Contra games from different machines, from Arcade to Gameboy, NES, SNES....

The original Gameboy had a very slow framerate on most games, so I tested a Gameboy game, Operation C. And the game's framerate increased while being equally playable. Fun game, I completed it.

Finally, I also tried Super Contra from the SNES, and the framerate was better, the animations felt more fluid. Where you notice the extra framerate, aside from the smooth animations, is when you shoot with the default weapon and the animation of the bullets from your gun looks different.

Like in any 60fps vs 165fps comparison, when moving the mouse and so on, there is more of everything.

forgot to mention that this app also works with videos, so if you have a 60fps video or a 30fps video, you can triple that....
Tried this yesterday and worked really well, especially with camera panning. Though sometimes there's hitching when enabling it and the fps dispay shows values like 144/30 instead of 60/120 for x2 doubling.

Rambalac's 4k HDR videos of Japan will be a treat to watch.

Also worked on twitch, but not with the chat sidebar opened and had similar hitching as above.

I havn't got around to trying anything new but just want to give some updates. Played about 10 hours of elden ring using it, it's pretty much a pure win. I have noticed some minor ghosting on certain weapons and red glowing eyes on one type of thing buts it's minor and I only noticed it while dicking around on a cliff with a very bright sky behind me. My nephew bought it for his 3080 and elden ring when he was down on the weekend and asked how I had unlocked the framerate ;).

My friend I told to buy it for grayzone also very happy, he said it looks better than having to use fsr and doesn't crash the game. Apparently fsr fg causes instability. Again this is in very early beta and AMD support in that game should improve but until then lossless kicking ass. He also said he didn't get the panning stutters I reported so that could be a me issue.

Will try some other games eventually but i'm going to be distracted with self inflicted high blood pressure for a little while, I love soulslike games but i'm pretty average at them and this dlc is smashing me hard ;).

I wonder, how does it compares to SVP.

Although I guess SVP would have more options tailored for videos, like only smooth the panning and not the characters

I wonder, how does it compares to SVP.

Although I guess SVP would have more options tailored for videos, like only smooth the panning and not the characters
Until I read your post I had never heard of SVP. It "wants" to sound me familiar, maybe I've seen or used it years ago, but I am not sure. LS is meant for games, for the most part, what surprises me the most is that it even works on 2D games, like the games from the Contra Anniversary Collection by Konami. In regards to video, I didn't test it much.

For easy testing I use the video from one of my favourite songs, Karma Chameleon, which performs a lot of panning from the very beginning. I used this video to test my TV and how the videos looked smoother 'cos of BFI (Black Frame Insertion). It was very easy to observe in this song.

I love when he says "cama, cama, cama, cama, cama, chameleon.... you come and go...."... 'cos cama in my language is bed xD

I did it. I bought Lossless Scaling. Tested it with Helldivers 2, and while I can notice some artifacts from time to time (some shimmering on the ground textures, the stars in the skybox changing size when turning the camera), but noting game breaking, and it didn't trigger anticheat or anything. The motion clarity is much better, and as I mentioned in another thread about frame generation, some the enemies move at a lower framerate when they die (I assume because the physics are sync'd over the network), and LSFG even smooths that out a bit. Worth all $7!

What's most exciting about this is the idea that I get to play around with some older games and see how it reacts. Makes me feel like a mad scientist.

One exception that I found is Days Gone, drops to 1-2fps when LS is enabled. Checked their discord and it has been a problem for quite some time.

That's bizarre, how can generating extra frames result in less frames
it might depend on the graphics api the game uses, the engine itself.... Things like the achievements overlay in when an achievement appears 'cause Still Wakes the Deep to drop frames to something which feels like 30fps instead of 165fps or whatever. However on Halo The Master Chief Collection when I got achievements the overlay didn't affect the game's framerate at all.

Quick question : the title says any gpu is it also any game?
as long as the game accepts borderless windowed (or borderless full screen) or windowed mode, it works on every game, even on 2D games. The only game where it didn't work for me was The King of Fighters XIII.

That's bizarre, how can generating extra frames result in less frames
The cost of generating the frames in frame-time exceeds the frame-time of the game's base rendering to some degree.
Just like how upscaled XeSS on Radeon RX 5700XT runs worse than native.

my bad, The King of Fighters XIII works perfectly fine with LS. I though it didn't but I hadn't noticed I had set the graphics options to (exclusive) Fullscreen, not Borderless Fullscreen -or Borderless Windowed- nor Windowed mode.

Again, the animations going from 55fps to 165fps look smoother despite being a pseudo 2D game.

Days Gone issue is not performance related, the GPU sort of disengages and power level drops to ~50W. There were some workarounds mentioned in Discord about using a different capture method, but did not work out for me.

Another blemish, can't get it to work with RTX HDR.

Back