Xbox Series... M?

I'm pretty sure there are more downsides than that when we have whole threads dedicated to massaging PC settings for Cyberpunk, Hogwarts etc....

I'm not dogging on PC gaming. It's great. But let's not kid ourselves that sub-100 IQ people are going to be editing their INI files.
what @Charlietus said. Also Windows can annoy the heck out of everyone at times, but that's not related to gaming. To make it a breathe Microsoft should adapt Windows and forget about it behaving like a classic 80s or 90s computer OS at all times.

They could easily create Windows Machines or Xboy (Xbox sounds no good for pc gaming imho) standard, so PC manufactures like Asus, Dell, etc, could have a seal of "Xboy certified", meaning machines meeting certain hardware requirements that could be targeted both from the manufacturers and developers perspective, so they could create a simple setting for those. Instead of Low-Medium-High-Ultra, a Xboy setting, so to speak, like there is a Steam Deck setting.

This could also help keeping a good relationship with hardware manufacturers letting them continue to build PC hardware.

If in your game you have to start searching tutorials on google and editing stuff, you miss the difference between a funny hobby and a job.

Should we take Phil's words with a grain of salt too?
it seems like Vladimir Putin got this idea from Phil Spencer.

Putin orders development of homegrown Steam Deck-like gaming machines — 100% self-sufficiency goal apparently applies to gaming, too

Last edited:
In Russia, the console plays you...
putin-moustache-HD-1456x815.jpg

wccftech

What if it's a Snapdragon Elite X(2 or 3) instead of an AMD?
interesting take. There are devices with that processor and they perform really well.

Snapdragon-X-Elite-Gaming-in-Control.jpg

Qualcomm provided some benchmark claims that can show why my experience was so good. It claims that the GPU onboard the Snapdragon X Elite is 36% faster than the Arc graphics on Intel’s Core Ultra 155H chip when running at 20W of power. It also claimed the chip consumes 50% less power, one of the hallmarks of Arm-based chips.

There’s a lot of promise with the upcoming wave of laptops powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite chip. I’ve already seen plenty of benchmarks that prove Qualcomm is onto something huge, with the GPU and NPU performance of the chip being quite powerful. Benchmarks have even shown that it can be double as fast as Intel’s latest Arc graphics in the Core Ultra chips.

The unit I gamed on was running with 16GB of RAM, was plugged into power, and had Windows set to Balanced Performance. The display on the laptop was set to 2K resolution. All games were running at 1080p, on low to medium settings. All games I demoed were running under emulation.

Qualcomm told me the titles I played are just the start of what’s to come. It has its labs where it tests hundreds of other games to ensure quality experiences.

Against the Apple M3 chip, Qualcomm is claiming that its Snapdragon X Elite chip can score 15,610 in Geekbench 6 multi-core testing. That’s above the 12,154 that the Apple M3 scores.

When mentioning the Intel Core Ultra 7 155H, meanwhile, Qualcomm claims that the X Elite can be up to 54% faster and use up to 65% less power in Geekbench 6 Single-Thread testing at a similar power level. Multi-thread testing is also better, coming in at 52% faster, with 60% less power.

Qualcomm went as far as to highlight the Core Ultra 9 185H and lay down the claim that when running at 30W of power, the Snapdragon X Elite can be up to 41% faster in Multi-Thread performance and use 58% less power. Single-Thread performance is 51% faster and uses 65% less power.

From what I can see online, the ROG Ally is running at ~1.55GHz already in the 15W mode. So they need to keep the clockspeed the same while adding 67% more CUs + increasing utilization (therefore power consumption) by adding more bandwidth. That brings us back to the huge increase in performance per watt required with only a single node shrink available.
they have time to think about it, but they must do something. Sony and Nintendo aren't the biggest rival of Microsoft, it's Valve.

Because the steam deck is a missile on the front line of the Microsoft ecosystem, let's not forget... it will be a PC, but it is not Windows...

There is a lot of talk about Xbox because of the console war, :unsure: but the problem for Microsoft, which is almost a nobody in the console world, isn't Sony nor Nintendo, it's Valve.

There are many viable options when it comes to OSes nowadays, because many programs are already used in the cloud, and Windows in gaming - I have used Linux for gaming for several months and thanks but no, it's not for me nowadays- is still far superior, due to drivers, HDR, VRR, native performance, etc etc.

But once that barrier that makes Windows the best OS for gaming is broken, something that Steam Deck is trying to achieve and they are advancing, Windows as an OS except for comfort and familiarity of use for some people, will lose relevance, because many people buy a PC for everything, but also to play games on it, and they choose Windows, but if machines that don't need it start to proliferate, people could start installing Linux -SteamOS- to play.

A large part of the Windows licenses sold are for people who use the PC to play games, even if they later use their PC for other things.

Anyway, in my opinion, at some point any steam deck will be too old to play steam games and will become an xcloud machine.

Anyway, in my opinion, at some point any steam deck will be too old to play steam games and will become an xcloud machine.

And then steam deck 2 will come out.

I mean that is the path of all consoles and handhelds. The item is relevent for a few years and then is replaced with a new version.

I am sure valve is already working on a steam deck 2. The first one has proven to be very popular and has already gotten a refresh which is not something I have seen from a valve hardware product that I can recall.

I'm pretty sure there are more downsides than that when we have whole threads dedicated to massaging PC settings for Cyberpunk, Hogwarts etc....

I'm not dogging on PC gaming. It's great. But let's not kid ourselves that sub-100 IQ people are going to be editing their INI files.

One thing to contemplate is that a lot of developers are including deck settings as a default for their games. so if you download on the deck it already has settings the developers think are optimal for that hardware.

If Ms targets a single specific configuration of hardware for its portable the same thing will likely happen. Developers will put a profile in that the game can detect the hardware and simply default to. That way you can optimize if you want but get a decent experiance if you don't.

obviously it be better to just ship a series s performance handheld running xbox os in terms of usability for the common folks

And then steam deck 2 will come out.

I mean that is the path of all consoles and handhelds. The item is relevent for a few years and then is replaced with a new version.

I am sure valve is already working on a steam deck 2. The first one has proven to be very popular and has already gotten a refresh which is not something I have seen from a valve hardware product that I can recall.
I'm not sure how popular Steam Deck is. It gets a lot of press from gaming outlets for a machine with such a low install base. I wouldn't .and seeing what the sales are if some it's competitors like the rog ally

I have little doubt a mobile Xbox would be able to compete with Steam Deck if it offered a similar experience in actually being able to be used as a PC. All it would need to do is sell like 5 million units to be as popular as Steam Deck is currently.

Steam itself is another thing entirely. It's the defacto storefront for most PC"s so MS has a huge uphill battle to gain traction from it. However their best course of action is to use their massive amounts of dev houses to release compelling content and they'll be on. And also fire their marketing team and hire people that can actually do an effective job

I'm not sure how popular Steam Deck is. It gets a lot of press from gaming outlets for a machine with such a low install base. I wouldn't .and seeing what the sales are if some it's competitors like the rog ally

I have little doubt a mobile Xbox would be able to compete with Steam Deck if it offered a similar experience in actually being able to be used as a PC. All it would need to do is sell like 5 million units to be as popular as Steam Deck is currently.

Steam itself is another thing entirely. It's the defacto storefront for most PC"s so MS has a huge uphill battle to gain traction from it. However their best course of action is to use their massive amounts of dev houses to release compelling content and they'll be on. And also fire their marketing team and hire people that can actually do an effective job

I knew steam deck was popular when I went to my friends 11 year olds birthday party and not only did he have a oled deck but his friends all had decks. I don't think its switch popular but its certainly building up a fan base and is growing.

I also believe Xbox can not only compete but out compete a deck. If they go with Xbox OS and target series s level performance it will be a much easier user experiance and more console like .

Also yea steam is the juggernaut in the market and I don't know what Ms can do except keep on improving the xbox app in windows. I have actually been using that over steam for any game that is play anywhere for the xbox. That way I can play on my pc , my deck or my xbox.

If they want a mobile Xbox, they will probably create it so that it can be a portable gaming experience and can be connected to a TV to play in the best quality. This can be solved by making two SKUs. One is just the mobile unit and one is the mobile unit plus a docking unit with a powerful VGA.

It is even possible that they do all this with only PC games with a complete Xbox user interface software. Then the VGA in the dock makes sense, which can be any modern PC VGA that users can buy separately.

With this strategy, they can make sure that Xbox is always the most powerful and best hardware. Also, they don't have to deal with making expensive custom GPUs and can even sell the Xbox at a profit.

If they want a mobile Xbox, they will probably create it so that it can be a portable gaming experience and can be connected to a TV to play in the best quality. This can be solved by making two SKUs. One is just the mobile unit and one is the mobile unit plus a docking unit with a powerful VGA.

It is even possible that they do all this with only PC games with a complete Xbox user interface software. Then the VGA in the dock makes sense, which can be any modern PC VGA that users can buy separately.

With this strategy, they can make sure that Xbox is always the most powerful and best hardware. Also, they don't have to deal with making expensive custom GPUs and can even sell the Xbox at a profit.
The problem with this strategy is that the CPU would still be limited by the thermal limits of the main device, so with a external GPU you would be extremely CPU limited.

The problem with this strategy is that the CPU would still be limited by the thermal limits of the main device, so with a external GPU you would be extremely CPU limited.
It's time for the GPU to solve all the tasks, the CPU is a stone age thing...

that's the most amazing idea I've seen in a long while. Hope that would become a reality. What @Charlietus mentioned might be a limitation, specially for faster framerates, but that would be the engineers job trying to find a solution.

Back