Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

My house has a 13 year old PC for paying bills. It would effectively cost $1500 to get a decent gaming PC. A lot of people have complete potatoes.
Yes. A lot do and a lot don't have old computers. As stated there are casuals and core games with PCs of different configurations and prices that can do more than gaming. Then there are those that buy consoles for their gaming needs. Maybe thats you. So?

Last edited:

89% of U.S. households have a computer in 2021.
This statistic is a powerful indicator of the prevalence of computers in U.S. households. It speaks to the ubiquity of computers in our lives and how they have become an essential part of our daily lives. This statistic is important to consider when discussing the impact of computers in our homes and how they have changed the way we live.

In 2019, 83.9% of European households had a computer.

This statistic is a powerful indicator of the prevalence of computers in European households. It demonstrates that the majority of households in Europe have access to computers, which is essential for staying connected and informed in the digital age. This statistic is especially relevant for a blog post about Computers In Homes Statistics, as it provides a snapshot of the current state of computer ownership in Europe.

More statistics in with some regions surpassing the 90% mark

edit: And here is another interesting bit.
Considering the US population is 331.9 million in 2021, and 89% of households owned a PC, thats around 295 million housholds with a PC.
If the below is an indication,
1710281504759.png
Around 68% of that (may not be accurate as more people may be sharing the same computer in every household) report to be also PC gamers. It is unlikely that the majority have high end PCs or bought a PC just for gaming. And thats just the US. Not even worldwide. 2021 PC gamers in US and Europe alone surpass the totals of Switch, PS4,PS5, One and Series 2021 worldwide sales combined.

Last edited:
Not any more. Plenty operate on iPads and phones.
Let's think about what a home user really is. No programming, of course, no doubt about it! No configuring anything complicated, no networks or anything. It's about running programs. That is, Office, their Word, Excel, and little else. Run browsers. Chrome, Edge, Firefox. Read the newspaper. Listen to music, streaming, Spotify, YouTube, Twitch. Run games. Your Civilization, your Diablo, your Call of Duty, your Fifa, your Fornite, your Total War, chess, whatever. Add apps, WhatsApp, the one from the bank. Read the email. Digital certificate to communicate with the administration.

Now in a more complex plan within what would be the user level, do hacking a little. Download your torrent client. Programs to watch those movies or music, for subtitles.... Things like that. That's a home user. Someone who also normally already has their OEM Windows pre-installed on their computer.

I use Strava and Komoot when I go biking or hiking and I'd die if I had to edit those routes and segments on my phone.

Does that article define what a computer is? It's unclear if to me if we can use their definition of computer as the same as a PC in the same context as being used in this thread. It appears the article lumps laptops and PC's as part of their definition for a computer. Do tablets count toward that definition? And chrome books?

More statistics in with some regions surpassing the 90% mark

edit: And here is another interesting bit.
Considering the US population is 331.9 million in 2021, and 89% of households owned a PC, thats around 295 million housholds with a PC.
If the below is an indication,
View attachment 10966
Around 68% of that (may not be accurate as more people may be sharing the same computer in every household) report to be also PC gamers. It is unlikely that the majority have high end PCs or bought a PC just for gaming. And thats just the US. Not even worldwide. 2021 PC gamers in US and Europe alone surpass the totals of Switch, PS4,PS5, One and Series 2021 worldwide sales combined.
Now you know why Sony has to port to PC.

Does that article define what a computer is? It's unclear if to me if we can use their definition of computer as the same as a PC in the same context as being used in this thread. It appears the article lumps laptops and PC's as part of their definition for a computer. Do tablets count toward that definition? And chrome books?
Good question. I believe the article uses laptops and personal computers (likely including Apple computers) but not tablets. Sometimes it specifies personal computers and laptops but never uses tablets in the description.

Edit: It also should be excluding tablets otherwise the percentage of gamers in relation to how many own a computer (laptop or personal computer) i.e in the US, becomes exceptionally high. I use the term PC in my argument, but I also mean laptops in the equation. They are practically the same product that cover the same needs, with the form factor setting them apart.

Last edited:
Let's think about what a home user really is. No programming, of course, no doubt about it! No configuring anything complicated, no networks or anything. It's about running programs. That is, Office, their Word, Excel, and little else. Run browsers. Chrome, Edge, Firefox. Read the newspaper. Listen to music, streaming, Spotify, YouTube, Twitch. Run games. Your Civilization, your Diablo, your Call of Duty, your Fifa, your Fornite, your Total War, chess, whatever. Add apps, WhatsApp, the one from the bank. Read the email. Digital certificate to communicate with the administration.

Now in a more complex plan within what would be the user level, do hacking a little. Download your torrent client. Programs to watch those movies or music, for subtitles.... Things like that. That's a home user. Someone who also normally already has their OEM Windows pre-installed on their computer.

I use Strava and Komoot when I go biking or hiking and I'd die if I had to edit those routes and segments on my phone.
Of course. Personally I know no one who doesn't have a personal computer or laptop, except people who sit in the extreme outliers of the age group. In my case, and my friends' case, tablets and smartphones primarily act as extensions of a laptop or a personal computer rather than a replacement.

View attachment 10966
I found it curious that 68% of those report to be PC gamers. Of those 1 billion PC gamers, 900 millions have something like a laptop with a i3 3500u that can maybe play cs go at 30 fps. Discussing console vs PC numbers is impossible.

View attachment 10966

I found it curious that 68% of those report to be PC gamers. Of those 1 billion PC gamers, 900 millions have something like a laptop with a i3 3500u that can maybe play cs go at 30 fps. Discussing console vs PC numbers is impossible.
Just to be clear. The 68% is related specifically to the US. Not worldwide.

This is connected the point brought earlier. The gaming demographics on PCs and laptops are very very diverse when 80% of households have one. Some are dedicated core gamers that are up to date with the tech and games, some are highly casual gaming on their X year old PC or on a simple build.

So yes when someone assumes that the market is a one dimensional demographic that is choosing between a present $1500+ gaming device and a $500 gaming device in order to game on, he is out of touch with reality.

And I said I accept the existence of outliers later

You are grasping unto a word by relying on the potentiality of outliers instead on focusing on the meat of the discussion.
No, I'm trying to clarify the argument! ;)

We have moved it from the absolute qualifying it as a necessity as you established it, to now trying to quantify the impact. My work here is done! :mrgreen: It's for those who want to discuss the relative presence of PCs to do so if they want. I just wanted to establish that there is a quantity of homes where PCs aren't used.

Two seconds of Googlage, 15% of 'respondents' in UK in 2020 have tablet only.

1710324372221.png

But I don't care to prove a point one way or another. I just want to steer the conversation away from broad misrepresentations.

So yes when someone assumes that the market is a one dimensional demographic that is choosing between a present $1500+ gaming device and a $500 gaming device in order to game on, he is out of touch with reality.
But that's mostly the decision when it comes to PS5 games, which is the whole reason we started talking about this.

No. Gaming demographics are more varied and respond to multiple factors. That was stated multiple times. Read more carefully. Unless you are still trolling. In that case I m not going to continue the discussion

You can bow out whenever, but just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm trolling.

I agree that price is only one consideration, but it was the consideration we were discussing when I made the comment.

Since this is the PS5 thread I'm focusing on (and rejecting) the idea that many PS users are going to jump ship to PC just because they'll be able to play Spider-Man 2 two years down the road after likely having to upgrade their PC to play it.

You can bow out whenever, but just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm trolling.

I agree that price is only one consideration, but it was the consideration we were discussing when I made the comment.

Since this is the PS5 thread I'm focusing on (and rejecting) the idea that many PS users are going to jump ship to PC just because they'll be able to play Spider-Man 2 two years down the road after likely having to upgrade their PC to play it.
I think the phenomenon is more subtle than this. In many cases PS players still play games (like Fortnite, Fifa, COD and such) on their console, but they won't buy Spider-man 2 now (and others big AAA single player games) and are simply waiting to eventually get the game on their PC (for instance once they upgraded it). So you wouldn't really see an effect on sales immediately, well 6 months ago.

Because now Sony have missed their PS5 sales target and their overall games sales are even lower than expected (when others publishers are actually doing really well).

I think the phenomenon is more subtle than this. In many cases PS players still play games (like Fortnite, Fifa, COD and such) on their console, but they won't buy Spider-man 2 now (and others big AAA single player games) and are simply waiting to eventually get the game on their PC (for instance once they upgraded it). So you wouldn't really see an effect on sales immediately, well 6 months ago.

Because now Sony have missed their PS5 sales target and their overall games sales are even lower than expected (when others publishers are actually doing really well).
Why would players do that?

I know occasions where they own a PC for the best performance and a console like Switch or a PS5 for their exclusive or other gaming needs just as I have friends who own both Switch and PS5. Guess why in almost all cases where they game on both console and PC they don't own an XBOX.

Back