Final Fantasy VII Remake

Reviews are out for the second episode.

Gotta say, it looks like they've proven me wrong and have accomplished way more than I thought they'd be able to. I can actually get a sense for how they will finish this game in three episodes now without it being watered down or having many things chopped off. It's impressive how much they've got done in the amount of time they've had.

Update with Junon aprt of the demo is out.
And improvement for perfoormance too.
Some people found it even worse than before :

Before

Affter

Performance pre patch

Performance post patc
https://i.imgur.com/AevFyxU.jpeg
it's a bit less blurry with a tiny bit more high frequency details at the cost of more aliasing. Personnaly I prefer like this. The TAA was too much.

Playing more of the demo I quite like the IQ now! I think they are using TAAU, the same used in Kena. Now that they changed the terrible upscaling solution the image looks quite sharp with properly defined edges to me.

But most importantly the game is basically locked 60fps, camera is super responsive, and the IQ is super consistent in motion whatever the transparencies, effects, vegetation. No fuzzy FSR2 mess there. It's how it should be, really. Shadows are bad though. But at least the reflections are somehow consistent, they are super limited but we can at least see some roughly defined reflections (blob thing) about the character and other stuff. We are not playing a vampire like in 95% others UE5 games out there! Thank god for UE4! The game can be beautiful depending of the scene / lighting. It can also look very disappointing obviously when there are PS3/4 assets thrown in there...

The main problem people are complaining is the bad consistency of assets and the resolution which I think can be as low as 1100p depending of the scene. People find it 'aliased' on their 4K screen, which is logical for a ~1100p-1440p TAAU image.

I'd love to see some high quality pics of the Rebirth demo. I've been playing Remake on PC, basically the first time in a long time (since I played the PS4 version to completion)... the last time I played the PC version was at its launch on the Epic Game Store and ended up refunding it due to the terrible performance and stuttering.. I bought the Steam version on sale because I wanted to play it on my Steam Deck and heard it was better with DX11, so I used that, and it's honestly be really great. Almost no stuttering at all. With flawless ultrawide and the dynamic res disabled.. it's freaking stunning, especially during the cinematics. During gameplay there's definitely low quality assets and textures, but it still looks great.. and the image quality is pristine. I'm playing with an internal res of ~9216x3840, locking it to 30fps because quite frankly I like how it looks with the motion blur, and the game doesn't require precision input.

I'll post a few pics I just recently took here, and then just link my post in the screenshots thread.

20240224115642-1.jpg

20240224122901-1.jpg

20240224123106-1.jpg

20240224125306-1.jpg

Some more screens here:

From what I've seen of Rebirth, there's definite IQ issues.. but certain lighting and materials during cinematics have definitely been improved. I'm excited to see that game maxed out on PC in the future.

can't access the second part of the demo it seems, maybe i have to finish the nibelheim part first, but there are sever lighting issues in this game, i d'ont remember seeing this in the first one.
I don't know if i'll buy it at launch or wait for a few patches.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH DEMO_20240222211152.jpgFINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH DEMO_20240222211218.jpgFINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH DEMO_20240224175610.jpg

it's inconsistent or broken, here another gameplay shot this time with right lighting shadowing, a NPC holding a light torch in direction of Cloud, looking as good as in a cutscene.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH DEMO_20240224212801.jpg

it's inconsistent or broken, here another gameplay shot this time with right lighting shadowing, a NPC holding a light torch in direction of Cloud, looking as good as in a cutscene.

View attachment 10885
Quite strange. It's as if the global light source doesn't produce self shadows, (or at least very low res low precision shadows) on characters whereas distinct light sources do produce self shadows.

what's with the updates today ? they don't want me to install/play FFVIIRR ?
Cyberpunk update, GT7 update, BF2042 update, No Man's Sky update.

Not bad for a 10 TFLOPS console and a non updated engine.
But still a bit disappointed with their shadow solution and texture work.
I do hope they'll have some kind of enhanced patch for the PS5 pro and PC version maybe.
Also might switch to UE5 for the sequel.
i think i' ll personally wait for to see if there will be a PS5 pro enhanced performance mode.
I wouldn't mind playing the game on graphic mode but nope.

Back