• Mobile hardware strategy

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Slim Revision hardware strategy

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • This will be a nothing burger

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • *new* Xbox Games for Mobile Strategy

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • *new* Executive leadership changes (ie: named leaders moves/exits/retires)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
hCknOXs.png

I think it's a big mistake to continue using closed hardware, and once again being slapped in the face. Make a semi-open device, they have the OS already done. I'm fine with them creating hardware, but it's a mistake to try to compete against Sony on the same terms, and against Nintendo, because it's a losing battle. And the days of X360 aren't coming back.

hCknOXs.png

I think it's a big mistake to continue using closed hardware, and once again being slapped in the face. Make a semi-open device, they have the OS already done. I'm fine with them creating hardware, but it's a mistake to try to compete against Sony on the same terms, and against Nintendo, because it's a losing battle. And the days of X360 aren't coming back.
Only way I see that working is if you lock it to windows store & GP.
People can just buy pc or portable handeld pc that's already being supported by oem's.
One reason people buy console is price and that is subsidised by software. And I'm not talking just first party sales.

Only way I see that working is if you lock it to windows store & GP.
People can just buy pc or portable handeld pc that's already being supported by oem's.
One reason people buy console is price and that is subsidised by software. And I'm not talking just first party sales.
something semi-open, which is something people dream about, but never happens. :/

Make it accessible with the UI of a console, a UI for a 5 years old, which anyone can use. Then it could work like you describe it, but MS could have a setting to let more knowledgeable people start tinkering and adding support to use it as a productivity machine or a gaming machine on other platforms, with the possibility of adding mods, basically like a PC.

Then I'd buy it day one, if not, I will never have a Xbox "console" anymore. The console war is over and they know it, it's a useless fight. Like they say in soccer: "Football is 11 vs 11 and Germany always wins". Put Sony or Playstation where it says Germany and it is the same.

This is just what I expected. All the outrage for nothing. :)

This is a good decision on these 4 games.
It's a definite change though. And one they need to manage going forward.

Still game by game message and I don't have an issue with that, don't think most people did.

When people say, "trouble is after every announcement the question is it on x platform" that's not an issue with game by game, that's an issue of not saying what platforms right away, otherwise then when anyone asks just say it's right there in announcement. People/media will stop asking once get that response couple times in a row.

Blade was good example of why people was asking "where is it going". And that was VGA's wide reach for announcements.

something semi-open, which is something people dream about, but never happens. :/

Make it accessible with the UI of a console, a UI for a 5 years old, which anyone can use. Then it could work like you describe it, but MS could have a setting to let more knowledgeable people start tinkering and adding support to use it as a productivity machine or a gaming machine on other platforms, with the possibility of adding mods, basically like a PC.

Then I'd buy it day one, if not, I will never have a Xbox "console" anymore. The console war is over and they know it, it's a useless fight. Like they say in soccer: "Football is 11 vs 11 and Germany always wins". Put Sony or Playstation where it says Germany and it is the same.
This sounds more like having a customized gaming shell.
Think they should do that, regardless of making own hardware. But that's still just a PC to me. PC that can launch right into gaming shell or switch into desktop.

Nothing wrong with you not buying a console.
They could definitely make inroads if they make a decent shell and improve GP/windows store. I'm not talking about overtaking steam, but lot of people would be happy enough using windows store/GP as well as steam.

Last edited:
This sounds more like having a customized gaming shell.
Think they should do that, regardless of making own hardware. But that's still just a PC to me. PC that can launch right into gaming shell or switch into desktop.
exactly that. More like a desktop Steam Deck, maybe with a handheld version. The Steam Deck is working fine. I know of super console fans who bought the Steam Deck and use it flawlessly like any other console.

On a different note, the article from The Verge mentions the next Xbox is going to become "the largest technical leap". For that to happen imho, they are hinting at a nVidia GPU. :) You can dream of native Path Tracing support and so on, and maybe AI upscaling and frame generation. The generational leap is not going to happen with AMD.

Console gamers could dream, but that sounds like more PR, and once again, it's going to be as dull as the current Xbox consoles of this generation.

Last edited:
It's a definite change though. And one they need to manage going forward.

Still game by game message and I don't have an issue with that, don't think most people did.

When people say, "trouble is after every announcement the question is it on x platform" that's not an issue with game by game, that's an issue of not saying what platforms right away, otherwise then when anyone asks just say it's right there in announcement. People/media will stop asking once get that response couple times in a row.

Blade was good example of why people was asking "where is it going". And that was VGA's wide reach for announcements.
There's still gonna be endless discussion on WHY certain games are being made multiplatform and others aren't, even if they make platform support super clear immediately on announcement.

Like Sony's port choices for PC, but much worse.

Overall, maybe the sky isn't falling, but the talk of a 'new generation of hardware' upcoming might potentially be my worst fear coming true. I still think trying to accelerate a new generation will be the absolute worst thing they could possibly do. And the idea of the 'biggest generational lift ever' is gonna be so obviously a massive lie, I dont know how they could possibly say that with a straight face. Hopefully this 'new generation' is still a very long ways off.

Microsoftian word salad as usual. Empty PR doublespeak is one of reasons for dramas for them time and time again. In this "business update" they couldn't even mention those first 4 small games by name from which they will learn so much about growth :S . They looked pretty nervous and whole thing looked designed to appease fanboys.

Did you guys catch funniest thing?

Sarah mentioned, they will deliver "biggest power leap between console generation" Hopefully Sarah don't have on her mind biggest leap in power and price... consumption leap in third party pc pretending to be console or soon damage control podcast will be needed again. For such impossibru tasks, there are often some speak women promoted at xbox, Bonnie Ross and Shannon Loftis know something about it.

Don't worry, For long time they are using "dedicated" as a buzzword. Then there are another leaks about API/tools not ready for launch and part of the power from spec not manifesting itself somehow because pc api parity. Gamepads with new functions too because porting to keyboard...

In Microsoft case, I am also for something like this if only for curiosity sake. Just make those locked yet hardware modular PCs about which you are dreaming from beginning and be done with charade. Would it finally be possible to offer ideal predictability, value, flexibility, or whole thing will still fall apart in the grounds of consumer market like steam machines.

Well, I'm sure the usual "MS-doesn't know what they're doing" crowd is going to have a fit that they didn't reveal every single iota of their strategy, but I was absolutely fine with what they presented.

Personally I love rolling generations and a new machine in 2026 with a handheld that is essentially a mobile-S with the entire S library on launch. Seems smart to me. Sell the S for $199, the X for $349, the M for $299 and the Next for $499. Keep on rolling. :)

30 studios working on 4-6 AAA games per year launching Day 1 on GP with 34 million subscribers and growing, with the occasional Hi Fi or GaaS game hitting other machines? Sign me up!

exactly that. More like a desktop Steam Deck, maybe with a handheld version. The Steam Deck is working fine. I know of super console fans who bought the Steam Deck and use it flawlessly like any other console.
If xbox was to make one, targeted at console price range. Could make it totally unlocked for steam etc while GPU subscriber.
After 10 years they all become fully unlocked and open.
Not sure how people would feel about that but, kinda best of all worlds.
On a different note, the article from The Verge mentions the next Xbox is going to become "the largest technical leap". For that to happen imho, they are hinting at a nVidia GPU. :) You can dream of native Path Tracing support and so on, and maybe AI upscaling and frame generation. The generational leap is not going to happen with AMD.
May be largest (however they measure it), but if they go AMD will just be same ballpark as competition. So not really meaning much in the end. Nice soundbite I guess though.

May be largest (however they measure it), but if they go AMD will just be same ballpark as competition. So not really meaning much in the end. Nice soundbite I guess though.

The exciting thing at this point is that they could be using Nvidia or Intel. The software side on Nvidia is very tantalising, depending on what fits into the power envelope in 26-28.

Just four games says Phil Spencer, this situation reminds me of something.

The verge interview also doesn't deny that both starfield and Indiana Jones are coming to ps5 in the future.

They were never going to announce everything at once, nor are they going to port everything to other platforms, but you don't port four games and then call it a day.

those numbers really surprise me, because I am sure that Skyrim had loads of players 5 months after launch, to name one. The Witcher 3 too, and I am currently playing Elden Ring -was waiting for the RT patch, not super impressive but it's better than nothing-. A game that I played a lot, which is not typical given how the game is and that you can complete it in just a bit more than 2 hours is Resident Evil 2 Remake. I have 100 hours in it, and it's one of my favourite games ever.

I don't have Starfield for several reasons, one of them being that visiting large like planets don't appeal to me. It's enough to get to know huge maps like Skyrim and the carefully crafted world of Elden Ring, or The Witcher 3, that's what I consider realistic and fun.

But recreating an entire planet is complex, and I'd say maybe no-fun, not to mention lots of planets. Definitely not for me.

A crafted world without being randomly generated and soulless, sounds much more appealing.

The numbers of BG3 are pretty good, in a day and age where there are a lot of games, even great games given away for free, where the offer is so high, the player numbers are still solid.

It'd be curious to know how Skyrim would fare if it was released 5 months ago, that's an eternal game.

One thing I just remembered is also we should factor in the modding scene for BGS games, so I looked those up and seems like the modding scene started much sooner for both Skyrim and Fallout 4. Skyrim's modding tools came out 3 months post release (along with the high res texture pack), Fallout 4 modding tools came out 5 months post release, whereas at 5 months since Starfield's release the last date mentioned for mod tools I believe was just sometime in 2024.

Regarding BG3 I think something that should be kept in mind is that BG3's trajectory isn't really typical for that of an AAA major release in terms of the "hype" cycle. It's benefited more from post launch word of mouth and organic growth, and those games tend to have longer tails. It's a bit weird in that the game staddles both major release hype and indie organic growth. The latter group of games tend to have longer tails, and in many cases steadily increase in player count even post launch.

Just four games says Phil Spencer, this situation reminds me of something.

The verge interview also doesn't deny that both starfield and Indiana Jones are coming to ps5 in the future.

They were never going to announce everything at once, nor are they going to port everything to other platforms, but you don't port four games and then call it a day.
hehehehe nice find!

This sounds me like when you say to a girl: "only the tip" xD. Or "I won't do to you anything you don't want me to do princess". Anyways, at least they are making Jez and Kobrille and the likes happy so they are going to sleep well, for a while.

Last edited:
Back