EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5 (rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that 5G is going to be the standard going forward. It has extremely low latency (1ms) allowing for some near reactivity. It should be good for streaming, they just need to be able to move their equipment closer to where 5G does its work.
You're still limited by the speed of light. That's 300km/ms. Then add overhead of switches and routing between end points, we'll never have 1 ms latency. 10ms, maybe even 5. However, below a certain amount like 30 ms, it's a frame, barely anything. It's more an issue of consistency for those at distance from the datacentres versus those fairly local.

Given large trunk comms is fibre at the SoL, I don't know how much latency savings there are to gain via 5G. Reducing the number of routing steps is probably the most necessary measure. Processing of packets through the backbone is likely the slowest step as opposed to actual speed of flight of those packets.

You're still limited by the speed of light. That's 300km/ms. Then add overhead of switches and routing between end points, we'll never have 1 ms latency. 10ms, maybe even 5. However, below a certain amount like 30 ms, it's a frame, barely anything. It's more an issue of consistency for those at distance from the datacentres versus those fairly local.

Given large trunk comms is fibre at the SoL, I don't know how much latency savings there are to gain via 5G. Reducing the number of routing steps is probably the most necessary measure. Processing of packets through the backbone is likely the slowest step as opposed to actual speed of flight of those packets.
I suspect the vendors would have to work with each 5G carrier to integrate into their networks and get them closer to the edge.

My understanding is that 5G is going to be the standard going forward. It has extremely low latency (1ms) allowing for some decent reactivity. You can drop 5G routers to home negating the needs for lines to homes. It should be good for streaming, they just need to be able to move their equipment closer to where 5G does its work.
Doesn't sound like a consistent and practical usage across every home

Doesn't sound like a consistent and practical usage across every home
5G routers are going to be the norm I think. There are a ton of 5G internet at home solutions rolling out everywhere especially in places where they never had lines installed. It’s just too costly and it also doesn’t have the ultra low latency functions of 5G.

I’m pretty sure this is the biggest technology driving companies towards streaming games. There’s a lot of content out there you can google about 5G and video game streaming.

I’m not sure if this video is bankrolled by MS, they certainly got their projections wrong i think.

I think the messaging above is sort of different from how we see xcloud today. Today you just pay for gamepass and your access separately; with your carrier they can package gaming for you wherever you go, where you are likely getting preference to ensure your gaming is not inhibited.

Last edited:
5G routers are going to be the norm I think. There are a ton of 5G internet at home solutions rolling out everywhere especially in places where they never had lines installed. It’s just too costly and it also doesn’t have the ultra low latency functions of 5G.

I’m pretty sure this is the biggest technology driving companies towards streaming games. There’s a lot of content out there you can google about 5G and video game streaming.

I’m not sure if this video is bankrolled by MS, they certainly got their projections wrong i think.

I think the messaging above is sort of different from how we see xcloud today. Today you just pay for gamepass and your access separately; with your carrier they can package gaming for you wherever you go, where you are likely getting preference to ensure your gaming is not inhibited.
the more options the merrier, after living with a 1Mb connection 10 years ago, to a 20Mb connection 6 years ago, via satellite, so unreliable, and living in a mountainous very rainy area in a village which has like 20-30 inhabitants, if 5G is available here I'd be so happy. Still, against all odds, we got fiber in these forgotten lands a year and a half ago, and 1Gb connections are available -I had it and the speed was real, no hiccups-. As of currently I went from a 1Gb connection to 300Mb, but it's equally fine, for my typical uses.

Streaming 4K visuals at 60fps at 1ms latency though sounds extreme. It's beyond typical needs

Streaming 4K visuals at 60fps at 1ms latency though sounds extreme. It's beyond typical needs
The 5G fixed wireless internet operates differently than just mobile 5G. For starters you can’t move your wireless router around so you’re stuck at home. But the idea is that they they know how much bandwidth they need to provide.

If you type in 5G wireless home internet near me in google you should see a list of providers and see what type of service they offer. Depending on your area speeds are comparable to fibre.

I picked 1 ms out of the air. :)

If data centers are about 150km apart we could get to 4 ms or something which would be plenty fine.

That's where we are headed eventually, even if it can only cover 90% of the gamers out there.

The 5G fixed wireless internet operates differently than just mobile 5G. For starters you can’t move your wireless router around so you’re stuck at home. But the idea is that they they know how much bandwidth they need to provide.

If you type in 5G wireless home internet near me in google you should see a list of providers and see what type of service they offer. Depending on your area speeds are comparable to fibre.
This doesn't seem to exist in my country. Has anyone tried cloud gaming or the PS portable device and can comment if it runs as well as native gaming?

it sounds realistic, software side. Hardware side, we shall see what happens, maybe they think the current Xbox hardware lacks soul and prefer to have the Surface division working on a new Xbox rather than the current staff.

That being said, the concept of Series S, imho, was great -as a concept one of the best Xbox consoles to date-, but the execution was poor 'cos it wasn't about just scaling the resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back