Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

A couple of days ago I was getting really poor connection over 2.4 GHz. I swapped to 5 GHz and that cleared it up. Yesterday, the PS5 connected to 2.4 GHz again by default and connection was awful. I tried to swap to 5 GHz and it wasn't having it. After a fair bit of switching things off and on again, it finally connected and I could play online. Today, PS5 connects to 2.4 GHz again. I swap to 5 GHz. It won't connect. Then finally when it does, it says it can't get onto the internet. I swap to 2.4 GHz and it connects just fine to the internet but the signal quality is atrocious. Swap back to 5 Ghz and it won't connect. After a spell, it's downloading about 8 KB/s on 5 GHz. Obviously nothing changed on the router end to cause.

PS5 is the first PS console that I feel is a bit crap. Sony losing their mojo.

Also, definitely going with Ethernet over the weekend.

You need to lock the channel to the one supported by your ps5 region.

That's clearly an issue with your network equipment, massive interference or placement of the AP.
Except everything else works fine. And the PS5 can connect to the router fine in 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, but it can't connect to the internet in 5 Ghz. I've had it before where it says it can't connect to the 5 GHz signal...maybe it's weak...only it's a stronger, more isolated signal than the 2. 4 Ghz!
Any reason you don't connect it with an ethernet cable?
Convenience, and I shouldn't have to. When it works, it works fine. It's just stupidly inconsistent. Upgraded to a dedicated modem for better Wifi and PS5 is no better off. Worse even. I appreciate that could be the EM environment, but I have my 5 GHz signal out on its own at channel 60-64, -55 dB, according to my Wifi montoring app. Signal's good. interference low. No problems anywhere except PS5 who's behaviour isn't consistent with a bad a signal.

Except everything else works fine. And the PS5 can connect to the router fine in 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, but it can't connect to the internet in 5 Ghz. I've had it before where it says it can't connect to the 5 GHz signal...maybe it's weak...only it's a stronger, more isolated signal than the 2. 4 Ghz!

Convenience, and I shouldn't have to. When it works, it works fine. It's just stupidly inconsistent. Upgraded to a dedicated modem for better Wifi and PS5 is no better off. Worse even. I appreciate that could be the EM environment, but I have my 5 GHz signal out on its own at channel 60-64, -55 dB, according to my Wifi montoring app. Signal's good. interference low. No problems anywhere except PS5 who's behaviour isn't consistent with a bad a signal.

Under the network settings on the PS5 you can force it to the 5 GHz band. Have you tried that?

That's definitely your router. If a device is successfully connecting to your router but your router isn't enabling the WAN (internet), it's the router at fault. Other devices may not be having issues because things like desktop and mobile operating systems (Windows, linux, macOS, iOS, Android) are very aggressive at requesting and re-questing WAN when connected to any router that isn't automatically providing it. Only once it's failed a number of times will the OS flag the lack of internet. It sounds like PS5 is fairly passive in this regard, and may not be requesting WAN periodically.

Likewise, which frequency a device connects to the router is ultimately up to the router. Regardless of how the initial device/router negotiation occurs (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, 6Ghz, bluetooth), individual devices send their capabilities to the router and the router determines which band the device should use. If you have a lot of devices connected at 5Ghz, cheaper routers will start deferring connections to the 2.4Ghz channels and ignore incoming connection requests at 5Ghz.

I assume you've done the obvious things like making sure your router is on the latest firmware, rebooting it, rebooting the PS5 (in case it's stuck on some absurd connection lease from the router) etc. And if you don't have any 2.4Ghz devices, disable that band on the router. It's mostly smarthome/hub devices that still use 2.4Ghz these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only time I ever got this issue on PS5 and other devices are only when the router automatically switched to unsupported channel.

Once I locked it, no more issues.

That's definitely your router. If a device is successfully connecting to your router but your router isn't enabling the WAN (internet), it's the router at fault. Other devices may not be having issues because things like desktop and mobile operating systems (Windows, linux, macOS, iOS, Android) are very aggressive at requesting and re-questing WAN when connected to any router that isn't automatically providing it. Only once it's failed a number of times will the OS flag the lack of internet. It sounds like PS5 is fairly passive in this regard, and may not be requesting WAN periodically.
Possibly and I've reached out to TP-Link with no response yet. However, does the router differentiate between band and device? Does it internally have a different LAN<>WAN route for 2.4 GHz traffic and 5 GHz? I'd have thought not, and the PS5 is a fixed IP, so I'd have thought the router would be divided into connecting devices and then when that device is registered, no matter where it is, serving it the internet. If the device is 100.200.1.24 on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, why would it have access to the internet on 2.4 GHz but not 5 GHz? There's no firewalling or such enabled. It worked flawlessly prior to this incident and then just broke without settings being changed.

One thing I'm wondering is if it's a hardware fault with the 5 GHz antennae in the PS5? It's complained about a weak signal before and only been able to connect to 2.4 GHz but the 5 GHz is actually stronger.

Likewise, which frequency a device connects to the router is ultimately up to the router. Regardless of how the initial device/router negotiation occurs (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, 6Ghz, bluetooth), individual devices send their capabilities to the router and the router determines which band the device should use.
I have my network on two separate SSIDs and have disabled automatic frequency assignment. I'm explicitly in control of which channel the PS5 uses by choosing SSID. That's how I can test 2.4 and 5 GHz on the PS5.

I assume you've done the obvious things
Yep. And it eventually cleared up over time. An hour after my first rant post, I was getting 490 KB/s download on 5 GHz, and 32 GB/s on 2.4 GHz. This afternoon is seems to be working fine.

It's moot now; mate just came round and installed an Ethernet cable.

5GHz wifi has a lower range than 2.4, so if your router is a bit far from the console it may have problems connecting to it.
Router is 2 metres below the PS5 through wooden floor. Sometimes the PS5 says the 5 GHz signal is weak and it can't connect, when it clearly isn't. Hence wondering if the PS5's antennae or something is defective. Problem with networking is too many players - it's your console/router/ISP's fault; talk to them.

I'm surprised the unbiased gaming media hasn't taken Sony to task for all these issues. Probably the same journalists in Japan that thought the 360 was too big, but somehow the PS5 is acceptable - a perfect fit for the Japanese apartment in downtown Tokyo.

- "The LEDs are a feature, they help you find your way in the dark!"
- "The UI fumbling keeps your brain engaged and is a mini-game to increase your IQ!"
- "The fan noise is there to keep you from falling asleep while playing, which could be dangerous, also the LEDs (see above) will keep you awake as well!"
- "Slow hard drive writes are to preserve disc health and give you time to get your coffee before playing!"

Have a laugh folks! :)

I'm surprised the unbiased gaming media hasn't taken Sony to task for all these issues. Probably the same journalists in Japan that thought the 360 was too big, but somehow the PS5 is acceptable - a perfect fit for the Japanese apartment in downtown Tokyo.

- "The LEDs are a feature, they help you find your way in the dark!"
- "The UI fumbling keeps your brain engaged and is a mini-game to increase your IQ!"
- "The fan noise is there to keep you from falling asleep while playing, which could be dangerous, also the LEDs (see above) will keep you awake as well!"
- "Slow hard drive writes are to preserve disc health and give you time to get your coffee before playing!"

Have a laugh folks! :)
Er..maybe you are confusing the 360 with the original XBOX. PS3 was larger and heavier

Possibly and I've reached out to TP-Link with no response yet. However, does the router differentiate between band and device? Does it internally have a different LAN<>WAN route for 2.4 GHz traffic and 5 GHz? I'd have thought not, and the PS5 is a fixed IP, so I'd have thought the router would be divided into connecting devices and then when that device is registered, no matter where it is, serving it the internet. If the device is 100.200.1.24 on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, why would it have access to the internet on 2.4 GHz but not 5 GHz? There's no firewalling or such enabled. It worked flawlessly prior to this incident and then just broke without settings being changed.
This sounds like a bug in the firmware, or some very specific router/PS5 issues. If you have setup a DMZ (presumably the reason for PS5 being on a fixed IP?) then I also presume you're correctly set the router to allow access to the WAN outside of the firewall?

One thing I'm wondering is if it's a hardware fault with the 5 GHz antennae in the PS5? It's complained about a weak signal before and only been able to connect to 2.4 GHz but the 5 GHz is actually stronger.
I can't see it being an issue with the antenna. You said the PS5 is connecting to the router, which suggests the PS5 is working fine. The antenna has no concept of whether the traffic is from the WAN or just local traffic. If the antenna wasn't working, you couldn't be able to connect to your router, period.

I have my network on two separate SSIDs and have disabled automatic frequency assignment. I'm explicitly in control of which channel the PS5 uses by choosing SSID. That's how I can test 2.4 and 5 GHz on the PS5.
Disabling automatic frequency assigning is not recommendation when using the 5Ghz band. Why did you do this?

This sounds like a bug in the firmware, or some very specific router/PS5 issues. If you have setup a DMZ (presumably the reason for PS5 being on a fixed IP?) then I also presume you're correctly set the router to allow access to the WAN outside of the firewall?
No DMZ. I use port forwarding to the recommended PSN and Apex Legends ports. ALso if that was the issue, 5 GHz would never have worked, or would have stopped working when I changed settings. Without anything changing - hardware or software or settings - the PS5 went from a flawless 5GHz connection to none whatsoever to a connection that couldn't acces the internet.
You said the PS5 is connecting to the router, which suggests the PS5 is working fine.
But sometimes (rarely) it doesn't and complains the signal might be too weak, despite the 5 GHz signal being stronger than the 2.4 GHz signal. And no other devices such as the phone above the PS5 are having trouble connecting to 5GHz when PS5 struggles. It's the only device with Wifi issues.
Disabling automatic frequency assigning is not recommendation when using the 5Ghz band. Why did you do this?
To have separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks and control over what devices are on which, notably to keep other traffic off my 5 GHz gaming band!

No DMZ. I use port forwarding to the recommended PSN and Apex Legends ports. ALso if that was the issue, 5 GHz would never have worked, or would have stopped working when I changed settings. Without anything changing - hardware or software or settings - the PS5 went from a flawless 5GHz connection to none whatsoever to a connection that couldn't acces the internet.
You may not want to spend (waste) more time trying to diagnose, but if you have time and are curious I'd like to suggest a couple of things to try.

First, disable port forwarding and fixed IPs. You shouldn't need this setup.

But sometimes (rarely) it doesn't and complains the signal might be too weak, despite the 5 GHz signal being stronger than the 2.4 GHz signal. And no other devices such as the phone above the PS5 are having trouble connecting to 5GHz when PS5 struggles. It's the only device with Wifi issues. To have separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks and control over what devices are on which, notably to keep other traffic off my 5 GHz gaming band!
2.4Ghz has better penetration than 5Ghz. If you turn your PS5 around, does that improve things? Is there anything solid or something electronic that might produce a lot of signal noise between the PS5 and the router?

First, disable port forwarding and fixed IPs. You shouldn't need this setup.
That's been the recommendation for years. Is this no longer the case and Routers can cope better without manual assistance then they could 10 years ago? It's still being recommended in technical support, eg:

1705251765430.png

That's been the recommendation for years. Is this no longer the case and Routers can cope better without manual assistance then they could 10 years ago? It's still being recommended in technical support, eg:
Sure, but every router sold in the last five years has UPnP making manual configuration unnecessary, unless you have some weird NAT arrangement. It looks like you're micromanaging your router.

upnp1/2 are still considered by some to be a security issue, but I find managing ports manually is a huge pain in the butt (at least on PC). There are just too many ports to open and it varies by game.

Back