Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I also thought the fan blades were hitting something.

Well I can return it within 30 days for a full refund. No one has an Xbox in Denmark 😂

But honestly I am baffled by the UI. I thought the Nintendo Switch were lacklustre but somehow Sony does it worse 🙈

I doubt my son cares though, as he games with headset on and enjoy the added visual fidelity and loading times. His only problem so far has been the button arrangement compared to Nintendo but he already seems to have adjusted.

We are in the minority. Most people thinks the weird navigation axis change, the superfluous button presses, the switcher / home screen resume confusion (switcher can't resume games, home screen can resume games), the Mish mash of tiny and huge navigation elements, etc are not a problem.

Heck, people even like them.

At least that's what I saw in reddit and with how there's zero ps5 reviewers mentioning the weird ps5 design in their review. I mean other than the size and curvature.

As for the noise, some people are bothered by it but some others moving the blame to the PS player for playing in such quiet situation. It was weird.

Same with LEDs, people blames the PS player for playing in a dark room, and for having a TV that can go very dark.

I play in a fully dark room and really tried to make my controller reflect in the screen
My PS5 Slim is whirring and rattling as well.

Just saw this video, so it is normal whether you got the NMB, Nidec or Delta fan. They all sound equally bad despite slightly different fan profiles.

I am feeling ultra lucky

Finally taped my ps5....

Still way too bright... I will tape another layer tomorrow or this weekend...

Edit: Oh I also have cardboards lying around. Maybe I'll simply cut a rectangle, and dangle it in front of the LEDs.

Aesthetic be damned.

Edit
Ah! I could trace the shape of the collar on the cardboard with a pen, then cut the cardboard to fit.

Edit: Oh I also have cardboards lying around. Maybe I'll simply cut a rectangle, and dangle it in front of the LEDs.
I was going to suggest, just a pop-up light blocker when playing. A little cardboard wall you can stand up and take down.
Edit
Ah! I could trace the shape of the collar on the cardboard with a pen, then cut the cardboard to fit.
Not sure I'm understanding that. Sounds like that'd block the vents?

We are in the minority. Most people thinks the weird navigation axis change, the superfluous button presses, the switcher / home screen resume confusion (switcher can't resume games, home screen can resume games), the Mish mash of tiny and huge navigation elements, etc are not a problem.

Heck, people even like them.

At least that's what I saw in reddit and with how there's zero ps5 reviewers mentioning the weird ps5 design in their review. I mean other than the size and curvature.

As for the noise, some people are bothered by it but some others moving the blame to the PS player for playing in such quiet situation. It was weird.

Same with LEDs, people blames the PS player for playing in a dark room, and for having a TV that can go very dark.

Yeah, I'm honestly perplexed by your UI issues. To each his own, of course, far be it from me to tell you what to like, but I personally really like the UI.

That being said, I'm a PlayStation guy and have been so exclusively pretty much forever. So maybe the evolution of the UI makes sense to those like myself, and is just less intuitive for people comparing with other platforms? Dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The switcher app's bollocks though, we agree there.

Finally taped my ps5....

Still way too bright... I will tape another layer tomorrow or this weekend...

Aesthetic be damned.

Edit

Why not pop off the covers and just take a permanent marker or some model paint to the LED strips? It'll take a few coats, but it should get you where you want to be.

Yeah, I'm honestly perplexed by your UI issues. To each his own, of course, far be it from me to tell you what to like, but I personally really like the UI.

That being said, I'm a PlayStation guy and have been so exclusively pretty much forever. So maybe the evolution of the UI makes sense to those like myself, and is just less intuitive for people comparing with other platforms? Dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The switcher app's bollocks though, we agree there.

Why not pop off the covers and just take a permanent marker or some model paint to the LED strips? It'll take a few coats, but it should get you where you want to be.

The weird thing is that I also use lots of Playstation. Including the bubbly psvita lol. I play lots on ps4 pro (albeit with ssd internal drive, so it's snappier than normal)

Ps5 UX is a downgrade from ps4, for me. Except the speed. It's obvious ps5 is way snappier.

It's when comparing ps5 to Xbox series and switch that the ps5 UX design quirks became even more obvious.

As for painting the LEDs, I'm looking for non-permanent solution that are easily removable.

The weird thing is that I also use lots of Playstation. Including the bubbly psvita lol. I play lots on ps4 pro (albeit with ssd internal drive, so it's snappier than normal)

Ps5 UX is a downgrade from ps4, for me. Except the speed. It's obvious ps5 is way snappier.

It's when comparing ps5 to Xbox series and switch that the ps5 UX design quirks became even more obvious.

As for painting the LEDs, I'm looking for non-permanent solution that are easily removable.
I think you are too used to other UI's. The UI felt weird and in some ways unintuitive when I first used it, because I was trying to access things the way I used to access them on PS4. But now I have no issues. It is the switcher that is a major feature that doesn't work as well as the XBOX. But that's a technical limitation within the PS5 itself and it wasn't marketed as the same thing AFAIR. That's something the XBOX does so we'll the switcher in comparison is pretty much useless. The switcher is just a list of recents to access. Nothing more.

Last edited:

Dear lord, the Vita's UI 😬 I still play it every now and then, but that UI is abysmal.

The last enemy (kidding folks!) UI I used was the X360. And that was only a little bit at a friend's house. Otherwise, there's the GameCube I had in the generation before, but there wasn't much of a UI at all in the GC or PS2.

So yeah, it looks like my ignorance is bliss.

There are PS5 LED strips on Amazon if you want to really lean into it and make your PS5 *really* obnoxious.

The switcher is just a list of recents to access. Nothing more.
Just like the homescreen! WTF were Sony thinking? 😅

Well I can return it within 30 days for a full refund. No one has an Xbox in Denmark 😂
The fan swap looks really easy, I'd be tempted to use get a better fan. If you return it, you will need to setup a another PS5 and you may get another unit with the same fan.

I play in a fully dark room and really tried to make my controller reflect in the screen

I am feeling ultra lucky

Curious here. Do you have an LCD TV or an OLED TV. If you have an LCD TV then your room will never be as dark as someone playing on an OLED TV.

So, perhaps the solution for PS5 gamers annoyed by the brightness of the PS5 lights is to downgrade to a LCD TV? :p

Regards,
SB

It is the switcher that is a major feature that doesn't work as well as the XBOX. But that's a technical limitation within the PS5 itself and it wasn't marketed as the same thing AFAIR. That's something the XBOX does so we'll the switcher in comparison is pretty much useless. The switcher is just a list of recents to access. Nothing more.

The weird thing is that

- they named it as if it was a real app switcher
- the app switcher cannot switch and resume apps directly to latest save, while it's actually the home screen that can.

I was going to suggest, just a pop-up light blocker when playing. A little cardboard wall you can stand up and take down.

Not sure I'm understanding that. Sounds like that'd block the vents?

It'll only block the air from the front, but as the cardboard won't be directly on the front vents, the front vents still can breath from the side (top, if vertical)

Just like the homescreen! WTF were Sony thinking? 😅

It's different

the home screen allows you to switch directly to the latest game save, practically felt like Xbox quick resume.

While the app switcher doesn't. It only launch apps normally, complete with the usual unskipable intro logo if the game have unskipable intro.

At best it makes it slightly faster to switch while you are already in a game

Isn't it's still faster to switch using the home screen?

As the home screen allows you to switch directly to latest save, skipping company logo, unskippaable intro, etc.

While the app switcher still requires the game to fully boot up

Last edited:
Curious here. Do you have an LCD TV or an OLED TV. If you have an LCD TV then your room will never be as dark as someone playing on an OLED TV.

So, perhaps the solution for PS5 gamers annoyed by the brightness of the PS5 lights is to downgrade to a LCD TV? :p

Regards,
SB
LG OLED. I find it impossible for the DS LEDs to reflect by the very fact that almost nobody holds the controller in a way that edit: the LED faces the TV screen. It is also NOT as strong as to emit light on a surface (like your hands), to reflect back to the screen. There is no light at the top either like the DS4. I put effort to get it into an angle to make the LEDs visible on screen and it was still barely visible because they are so weak and small. I posted a screenshot earlier in this thread to show how it looks like.

Last edited:
The weird thing is that

- they named it as if it was a real app switcher
- the app switcher cannot switch and resume apps directly to latest save, while it's actually the home screen that can.

It'll only block the air from the front, but as the cardboard won't be directly on the front vents, the front vents still can breath from the side (top, if vertical)

It's different

the home screen allows you to switch directly to the latest game save, practically felt like Xbox quick resume.

While the app switcher doesn't. It only launch apps normally, complete with the usual unskipable intro logo if the game have unskipable intro.

Isn't it's still faster to switch using the home screen?

As the home screen allows you to switch directly to latest save, skipping company logo, unskippaable intro, etc.

While the app switcher still requires the game to fully boot up
When you put resume into the picture yes the switcher is pretty much useless

LG OLED. I find it impossible for the DS LEDs to reflect by the very fact that almost nobody holds the controller in a way that edit: the LED faces the TV screen. It is also NOT as strong as to emit light on a surface (like your hands), to reflect back to the screen. There is no light at the top either like the DS4. I put effort to get it into an angle to make the LEDs visible on screen and it was still barely visible because they are so weak and small. I posted a screenshot earlier in this thread to show how it looks like.
i think @Silent_Buddha was talking about the LEDs on the PS5 and on the controller. not just the controller.

but yeah, at the dimmest setting, the controller LED is only distracting when in the periphery view. like if you prop it on my knee, or im lying down, or propped it with a pillow on my lap.

anyway the ps5 LED is so bright (at the dimmest setting), even 1 layer of glossy paper tape (dunno the name in english) is not enough to block it. i think i will simply went with thick foam tape. surely the LED wont be able to penetrate a 2-3mm thick foam tape. the cardboard idea is scrapped, as i cant find the cardboard lol.

A couple of days ago I was getting really poor connection over 2.4 GHz. I swapped to 5 GHz and that cleared it up. Yesterday, the PS5 connected to 2.4 GHz again by default and connection was awful. I tried to swap to 5 GHz and it wasn't having it. After a fair bit of switching things off and on again, it finally connected and I could play online. Today, PS5 connects to 2.4 GHz again. I swap to 5 GHz. It won't connect. Then finally when it does, it says it can't get onto the internet. I swap to 2.4 GHz and it connects just fine to the internet but the signal quality is atrocious. Swap back to 5 Ghz and it won't connect. After a spell, it's downloading about 8 KB/s on 5 GHz. Obviously nothing changed on the router end to cause.

PS5 is the first PS console that I feel is a bit crap. Sony losing their mojo.

Also, definitely going with Ethernet over the weekend.

A couple of days ago I was getting really poor connection over 2.4 GHz. I swapped to 5 GHz and that cleared it up. Yesterday, the PS5 connected to 2.4 GHz again by default and connection was awful. I tried to swap to 5 GHz and it wasn't having it. After a fair bit of switching things off and on again, it finally connected and I could play online. Today, PS5 connects to 2.4 GHz again. I swap to 5 GHz. It won't connect. Then finally when it does, it says it can't get onto the internet. I swap to 2.4 GHz and it connects just fine to the internet but the signal quality is atrocious. Swap back to 5 Ghz and it won't connect. After a spell, it's downloading about 8 KB/s on 5 GHz. Obviously nothing changed on the router end to cause.

PS5 is the first PS console that I feel is a bit crap. Sony losing their mojo.

Also, definitely going with Ethernet over the weekend.
That's clearly an issue with your network equipment, massive interference or placement of the AP.

Any reason you don't connect it with an ethernet cable?

Back