Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what is the problem here, perhaps MSFT is 100% focused on ABK deal but this is pure disaster. I hope Starfiled will be megahit because anything less than that and 2023 will change into disappointing year after 2022 wich was clearly one the worst for xbox users.

I doubt that since they delayed Starfield. More like they didn't want to delay any other titles, so they sent this one off to die.

Amazing. A literal 1st party studio literally used Ps2 like textures for Series S.

It's really baffling how they struggle to scale textures/memory data for lower end devices/budgets. These studios need to improvise, adapt at this point. But this is not it...

Amazing. A literal 1st party studio literally used Ps2 like textures for Series S.

It's really baffling how they struggle to scale textures/memory data for lower end devices/budgets. These studios need to improvise, adapt at this point. But this is not it...
You may hope that msft 1 party studio will make good use of things like DirectStorage, Sampler Feedback Streaming, VRS and what not to produce something spectacular. But if not them who? And when? Was it all smoke and mirrors?

Personally Arkane is a first-party studio, but I don't see Redfall, Starfield & Co. as a first-party game ala Halo, Gears etc. simply because the development was already so far "done" when they were bought out and you're unlikely to have something like DS, SFS etc. in there if it was also going to be released on PS.
If they don't have it in with their next games then it's something else.

You should prepare for the possibility those features may not bring much real world benefit. Plenty of hyped DX features have ended up falling flat.

Last edited:
You should prepare for the possibility those features may not bring much real world benefit. Plenty of hyped DX features have ended up falling flat.
VRS (as a magic feature) has already failed. We probably won't see it in many AAA games after Dead Space (or only using custom software implementations like in COD). Too many downsides particularly combined with reconstruction techs.

Anyone seeing this?

LowLevelFatalError [File:Unknown] [Line: 686] hr failed at D:/depot/r8branches/r8release/Engine/Source/Runtime/D3D12RHI/Private/D3D12Resources.cpp:507 with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED with Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Anyone seeing this?

LowLevelFatalError [File:Unknown] [Line: 686] hr failed at D:/depot/r8branches/r8release/Engine/Source/Runtime/D3D12RHI/Private/D3D12Resources.cpp:507 with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED with Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG
Are you on Jeddah? I have heard of people getting this crash constantly on Jeddah.

Why games are shipped as they are? The problem is as always complicated. Intersting insight into what is going on behind the scenes

While I understand and agree with most of the points given, however, there are certain triple-A publishers/developers that use that as a crutch for delivering such a terrible launch product. Day zero or day one patches aren't the problem per se, it's knowing that your product had major issues in the pipeline for months (or even years) prior to certification and knowing that your product will require multiple patches over the course of months or years that annoys me. I get that not all publishers/developers have the time and money that Rockstar gives it's IPs, but having a more "when it's done" attitude goes a long way on delivering a much more stable product.

FYI: no jokes about the recent remastered GTA games being shit, that was handled by another developer partner. It doesn't make it right, but I'm talking strictly about direct inhouse releases.

Instead of giving me a world the size of GTA: San Andreas that's riddled with performance issues and bugs give me a world the size of GTA: Vice City that's performant and bug free on day one instead.

From what's being reported, I think that's the reason why Ubi is going back to much smaller maps with their Assassin's Creed IP. Too much time and money being wasted on huge maps that serves no real purpose other than side-story quest requiring lengthy traversal busy work (often for items or information that ain't sh** to begin with).

Last edited:
Why games are shipped as they are? The problem is as always complicated. Intersting insight into what is going on behind the scenes

No real surprises.

The ease of pushing updates is a big part of the problem. When the pressure is on it’s so much easier these days to punt problems to post release. The only fix is to change the culture of these companies to prioritize quality. This means getting the game to a polished state before certification not after. It’s ok to tidy up small things after release but they’re committing to launch dates when there are major items still under development.

I’m sure no developer wants to ship crappy software but when push comes to shove it looks like they’re choosing to piss off buying customers instead of pissing off their bosses.

Anyone seeing this?

You don't alt tab while loading do you? That happened to me if I alt tab while the game is loading.

The stuff you guys say are incredible. I think redfall has pretty subpar art for an arkane game (compared to dishonored 2 or deathloop) but everything about the tech is late last gen at absolute worst. The thing that bothers me is that it runs on 30fps on consoles, but arkane isn't the strongest team technically and their core base of technology hasn't been used in anyting open world before.

From what's being reported, I think that's the reason why Ubi is going back to much smaller maps with their Assassin's Creed IP. Too much time and money being wasted on huge maps that serves no real purpose other than side-story quest requiring lengthy traversal busy work (often for items or information that ain't sh** to begin with).

That would be great. I collected every feather in AC3 and every chest in AC3/4/Rogue. I probably did the same thing in AC1 and 2. Hours of my life wasted with no actual gameplay value whatsoever :cautious:

Another video playing it on the PS5, and sweet jesus the artifacting and dithering - I assume this is FSR2, but if this is what it looks like at 30fps what in gods name will it look like at 60?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back