Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw others mention that there's a 1.5 GB patch for PC. I doubt any of these videos include that. Not sure what's patched, though.

And how much of that increased complexity is due to developers shoving RPG elements into every game so they can attempt to nickel and dime gamers with a metric fuckton of DLC? Not to mention the whole open world issue. No large majority of gamers are demanding or even want this nor are there sales trends suggesting this is the only way to make a profitable game.

Not much. It's mostly the increased graphical complexity of modern games.

The RPG elements being "shoved" into the vast majority of AAA games is just a tiny fraction of what RPGs in the 90's and early 2000's had. So it's laughable to blame it on that.

Sure, it adds to the camera work needed if you want specialized face to face interactions, but again, this is due to the increased graphical complexity, not the RPG elements themselves.

Regards,
SB

Still plenty of big-ass stutters though. And as mentioned that's not usually the area where you see the biggest CPU bottlenecks regardless.

View attachment 8867

He's taken these kind of potshots at DF before. Pretty juvenile.

He is though.

Like Alex said, every CPU will get these stutters, and yes, that means the latest X3d chips. Some systems will be less prominent than others, but they do occur - and especially when you actually benchmark an area outside of the first 30 minutes.

Additionally: Here's Bang4buckPCGamer on a 7900XTX and 7900X3D cpu. The 'golden combo' ticket according to HBU, and yes the GPU utilization is often at 99% - however the stutters are clearly visible, there are several large stutters just from 30 seconds of traversal in that area. HBU is simply not testing (or not reporting) the problem areas.

Those one-off spikes on afterburner frametimes look way better than on my 12700K with 3600Mhz DDR4 where it's 2-3s combined stutter. Nevermind the average is close to 50% higher.

The game is on PCIE4 nvme, so those prolonged stutters can't be blamed on storage either.

Tools have not increased with the scope and complexity of games at all, by an order of magnitude. The entire AAA industry wiped itself out for the most part in the 7th gen pushing thousand man teams on the worst case when on PS1 the highest team size was barely 100.

And as more money was introduced into the industry publishers and shareholders became far more interested in drawing blood from a stone than what would be best for workers.

In the ps1 era crunch was 20 or 30 people working nights overtime and that was the worst teams in Japan

Today it is normalized everywhere to not be home for weeks and sleeping in the office just cause your not allowed to see your family until the game ships and we are talking about hundreds of people at a time. It's not sustainable and hasn't been sustainable. It's without a doubt partly to blame for what is happening right now
I strongly disagree that tools have not increased with the scope of games. In fact, this is demonstrably false.

Secondly, none of what you’ve said excuses the poor performance that is seen in Jedi Survivor. Again, developers need to take personal accountability for their work. No one but the devs decided the scope for their games. They chose their engine, chose their scope, chose their technical targets, etc. You can’t blame a publisher for biting off more than you can chew. They knew their project timeline and consciously made the decisions that has brought them to where they are today. You can’t hide under the excuse of crunch crunch crunch. Every time, there’s one excuse or another. It’s just unprofessional as far as I’m concerned.

Those one-off spikes on afterburner frametimes look way better than on my 12700K with 3600Mhz DDR4 where it's 2-3s combined stutter. Nevermind the average is close to 50% higher.

The game is on PCIE4 nvme, so those prolonged stutters can't be blamed on storage either.

I've seen some posts to indicate that the game may be quite severely memory bandwidth bound, memory latency bound, or both.
That's a common culprit when both CPU *and* GPU utilization seem low - CPU can't feed the GPU fast enough, and memory can't feed the CPU fast enough, so both end up idling a lot.

I'm really hoping someone does a GPU PCIe bus and system memory bandwidth/latency scaling analysis soon.

I've seen some posts to indicate that the game may be quite severely memory bandwidth bound, memory latency bound, or both.
That's a common culprit when both CPU *and* GPU utilization seem low - CPU can't feed the GPU fast enough, and memory can't feed the CPU fast enough, so both end up idling a lot.

I'm really hoping someone does a GPU PCIe bus and system memory bandwidth/latency scaling analysis soon.

That could still be a CPU issue though. If too few CPU threads are doing work and submitting memory requests the memory bus may be underutilized. Faster memory can help a little but won't solve the underlying problem.

@T2098 Yah with games starting to list 32GB of RAM as recommended, I'm a little worried about my own setup because adding another 16GB of RAM is actually a huge hit to latency and bandwidth because I have to lower both timings and memory clock. I suspect that performance would actually be worse most games, even ones that recommend 32GB for me. Most people benchmarking games don't actually state their memory setup, and XMP settings can vary a lot. I don't think many people pay attention to memory.

Destiny 1 and Killzone Fall Shadow Fall look like a generational leap compared to this
Dead on launch. An incredible amount of nothing to do with poor combat design. There’s no mood, there’s no feel, art is hurting.

Really strange they would release in this way.

That shotgun reload…. Goodness. That was painful to watch. Everything from animation, to walking, to shooting, to aiming. It’s all so indie.

Graphically, it's a lot more dense than Destiny or even Halo, though Halo Infinite is getting fairly dense. I think you're forgetting how FPS level design looks in both Destiny and Halo, huge open spaces, easy identification etc.

The problem isn't that it's ugly and doesn't have all this amazing detail. The challenge is that the combat just looks boring, I'd rather just Destiny. Because I see these 2 titles as being largely the same, except Destiny does it better and it's free to play.

You compare across similar gametypes (I'd say this is Halo-esque in level design) and Halo actually looks remarkably good and runs remarkably well. I gotta hand it to them, perhaps I was too harsh on them.

Last edited:
I've yet to actually play the game but Redfall seems to perform fantastically well on my 9900k + 2080 Ti. I was expecting a travesty judging by how people talk about it but this is the best PC release in a long while.

I've yet to actually play the game but Redfall seems to perform fantastically well on my 9900k + 2080 Ti. I was expecting a travesty judging by how people talk about it but this is the best PC release in a long while.
With those kind of visuals, it would have been a travesty to perform badly

With those kind of visuals, it would have been a travesty to perform badly

I have a ryzen 5600x with 16GB of DDR4 3600 CL14 fairly well tuned. My 3080 was basically sitting at 50% usage. Played for about an hour and a bit, and both me and my friend were getting tons of frame drops. I could see mine dropping down below 40 fps at times. 1440p epic settings. It was inconsistent. Some areas if I set things to low it would raise my max fps, but I'd still get areas where fps was quite low. Tried setting shadows, foliage and view distance to low, because I figured they'd have the most cpu impact, but I'd still get drops that made it confusing to figure out. I think there's maybe some memory leaking because it got worse the longer we played.

Edit: There's also just a lot of bugs, especially in animation. If someone is super interested in playing, I'd recommend they wait for a number of patches.

Last edited:
Watched one the reviews and guy was playing on 2080ti and in later sections of game performance dropped to single digits.

Not sure what is the problem here, perhaps MSFT is 100% focused on ABK deal but this is pure disaster. I hope Starfiled will be megahit because anything less than that and 2023 will change into disappointing year after 2022 wich was clearly one the worst for xbox users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back