GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unreal Engine 4...

b2c179c7-0d87-4291-84a9-f16632bc0bf4.png
I await shit
Fake Edit: UE4 is terrifying

Atomic Hearts, promoted with RT since 2018, has ditched RT first from consoles and now just before release from PC version too.
Here's quote from dev regarding the situation:
Following the launch, we'll revisit the needs of our gamers.

Lol. All those promises about a glorious RT future.
So it was just little tech demos and marketing promises to get some attention.

But well, i guess after everybody is long done with the game, we'll get it. As usual.

It's a small team which was forced to relocate to a different country last year and this is their first game which they launch on 6 platforms simultaneously.
I'm sure they'll patch in RT once the launch will be complete.

Lol. All those promises about a glorious RT future.
So it was just little tech demos and marketing promises to get some attention.

But well, i guess after everybody is long done with the game, we'll get it. As usual.
What? These developers have to work with these outdated consoles which cant do proper raytracing.

Indie game Hello Neighbor 2 got the whole UE4 Raytracing pack last week: Reflections, AO, shadows and RTXGI.

It's a small team which was forced to relocate to a different country last year and this is their first game which they launch on 6 platforms simultaneously.
I'm sure they'll patch in RT once the launch will be complete.
What are you trying to tell us? They've showed us demos with RT in 2018 and they had all support from NV engs for whole development time and now they had to ditch it because of "some reason"

Well.... nice

We've discussed this matter in the other thread, RT is present in one of the builds of the game, just not the launch build, they have postponed it for now.

The reviewer guide provided by NVIDIA also mentions an 'RT Ultra' preset that doesn't exist in the build I checked out, again pointing to a recent decision to remove the ray traced features from the game.

Indie game Hello Neighbor 2 got the whole UE4 Raytracing pack last week: Reflections, AO, shadows and RTXGI.

Pre-Turing architecture and mid range performance level. Good luck trying to do proper Raytracing on these machines. I totally understand Mundfish to not go forward with Raytracing when their techdemo couldnt even run on the consoles...

But why do you use that ridiculous term of 'proper ray tracing' which makes no sense? The word 'proper' implies that it works in a different way or is fake and is not the 'proper' way to do ray tracing.

But it's exact same ray tracing that PC does and works the same way, just because they offer a lower performance level doesn't mean it's not 'proper' ray tracing because it is.

Please use better terminology when describing something.

Last edited:
But why do you use that ridiculous name of 'proper ray tracing' which makes no sense? The word 'proper' implies that it works in a different way or is fake and is not the 'proper' way to do ray tracing.

But it's exact same ray tracing that PC does and works the same way, just because they offer a lower performance level doesn't mean it's not 'proper' ray tracing because it is.

Please use better terminology when describing something.
"Proper" means impactful. You can play DX1.0 games "fine" on Pascal, too:
or

RDNA2 is barely better than a pure software based solution on Turing (instead of RT cores it uses the INT-pipeline for certain calculations).

RDNA2 is barely better than a pure software based solution on Turing
In other words: Software RT is good enough then, i conclude.
"Proper" means impactful.
In other words: 'Impactful' tells more than 'proper'.

: )

Not meant as an argument at all. But the above postings really show we are still on a purely imaginary and subjective definition of RT.
There is much more rant, argue and expectations than actual 'impact' so far.

In other words: Software RT is good enough then, i conclude.

In other words: 'Impactful' tells more than 'proper'.

: )

Not meant as an argument at all. But the above postings really show we are still on a purely imaginary and subjective definition of RT.
There is much more rant, argue and expectations than actual 'impact' so far.
Like software rendering 25 years ago? At least the PS1 was not a software 3D engine console holding PC gaming back...

Like software rendering 25 years ago? At least the PS1 was not a software 3D engine console holding PC gaming back...
That's not about what i tried to say. I'll first take your quote, and turn it around:

'Like PC HW RT API holding back other progress like level of detaiI, while consoles have no such restrictions.
The longer lifecycle of consoles has no impact on progress, even if high end PC HW enables more. The average PC is not more powerful than the current console generation of any time, effectively disabling the potential PC advantage.
Thus, what's left is the PC API restrictions, turning the PC into the lesser capable RT platform than the console.'

That's how it looks to me. I do not even get to the point where performance matters, because the limitations prevent me from using RT at all. So from my perspective, my argument is solid.

But if i try to discuss this very technical and valid argument, all i achieve is triggering other people to defend their own, seemingly attacked, imaginary status quo.
And then we do not discuss the issues, but each others perceptions and expectations.

And this does not happen only to me, it happens to all of you other guys here as well, just as much.
Eventually, two camps form, and we can join and back up each other within the camp.
Then we get a nice little war, and the gunfire burns whole forum sections, besides any attempts of serious discussion.

That's what i tried to say. But i was not clear enough, because you still addressed my arguments with counter arguments.
Which is my own fault i admit, as i'm always enjoy to provoke and rant.

I'm also aware we can not convince each other to share the same convictions. Obviously. We do not even want to get there.

What feels new to me here is: Why does the conflict not settle? Why do we not see a clear winner? How many years do we have to wait for clarification?
That's way more interesting than coming up with justification of why a certain RT system seller game finally releases without RT support, i think.
I mean, we did not have this before. 256 colors were better than 16 colors. HD was better than 320 x 200. 3D acceleration was great. After some time, we even agreed that HW AA is indeed useful and worth the cost. Etc.
Why is it so different this time?

I'm afraid the answer is that we probably are at the end of the journey of gfx progress. It's no longer possible to make 'impact' at all. Progress is too slow to feel instant, or even noticeable.
But we can't accept this, and we are desperate. We want further impactful gfx progress, so we come up with imaginary impact (or deny it), which defines our status quo we then fight for.

That's really not meant to attack any of yours convictions, excitement, or opinions. I work on fucking gfx progress myself, so why should i tone its importance down?
It's just that we look like a club of aging gamecocks, picking each other for nothing which actually matters, to the point where it's just embarrassing.
I'm not sure what's the next big thing in gaming. But it certainly isn't graphics. Not anymore.

Here an example: Imagine we have full photorealism, and everything just works, no matter what's the chip maker or what papers it's based upon.
Would we still treat each other like traitors, picking each other an eye out? What impression would this make?
We are already at this point, even if the realism is not yet.

What feels new to me here is: Why does the conflict not settle? Why do we not see a clear winner? How many years do we have to wait for clarification?
That's way more interesting than coming up with justification of why a certain RT system seller game finally releases without RT support, i think.
I mean, we did not have this before. 256 colors were better than 16 colors. HD was better than 320 x 200. 3D acceleration was great. After some time, we even agreed that HW AA is indeed useful and worth the cost. Etc.
Why is it so different this time?

We are already at this point, even if the realism is not yet.
It isnt the first time. Tessellation was the victim last generation. Console used the latest tech until last generation. Now it is even worse with Raytracing, DL and compute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back