Resident Evil 4 - Remake [XBSX|S, PS4, PS5, PC]

The RE3 remake sucked Jill's balls. I just want to pretend that game does not even exist. :(

I ain't all that bothered about the reimagining of RE2 either, to be honest. They got a bit lazy and axed a lot of content. Yet a lot of fanboys still defend it regardless. The same with 4. Like, it's a giving that because the original games are on a pedestal, that they will act fiercely loyal to the new ones.

After 4 comes out, people will go through this "honeymoon phase" at first. They will enjoy it, to begin with, because it's new and whatnot. But in terms of the content they will cut, you shouldn't be surprised if that were to happen, and then everybody will review that stuff later on, moaning that Capcom cheated their fans again. I'm just letting people know that well in advance.

This guy ain't excited for it.

The RE3 remake sucked Jill's balls. I just want to pretend that game does not even exist. :(

I ain't all that bothered about the reimagining of RE2 either, to be honest. They got a bit lazy and axed a lot of content. Yet a lot of fanboys still defend it regardless. The same with 4. Like, it's a giving that because the original games are on a pedestal, that they will act fiercely loyal to the new ones.

After 4 comes out, people will go through this "honeymoon phase" at first. They will enjoy it, to begin with, because it's new and whatnot. But in terms of the content they will cut, you shouldn't be surprised if that were to happen, and then everybody will review that stuff later on, moaning that Capcom cheated their fans again. I'm just letting people know that well in advance.

This guy ain't excited for it.

Oh its true that a lot of choices they made in Resi 2 remake were odd. And the cut content bothered me too.
The beginning of the original Resi 2, running through the town to get to the Police station, including the visit to Kendo's shop were memorable and set the tone. It was a great gameplay intro. I never understood why they chose to change that.
There were also odd inconsistencies between the 2 scenarios. Enemies were missing, the Umbrella lab was tinier and less interesting etc.
Still it was an enjoyable game, not on par with the original for its time, but certainly the closest Resi we got in ages.

Yeah. At least the game had exploration and it was actually quite scary. Especially with how the zombies took more bullets to kill. They made everything look too dark in most areas, so that didn't impress me too much. But it was more in line with the classic, initial era.

I hated how in games like 4, 5 and 6 especially, you just killed waves of infected people. So yes, while it was fun, there was nothing remotely atmospheric about many sections. Then they reveal numbers on the screen, so you know where to go next, and it reaches zero once you get to the door. It was all action based tropes. Having co-op too, and wisecracking heroes, and a fat vendor, just evaporated the tension. You can tell it was action first, horror sauce dip on the side of the plate of crispy, action chips.

At least RE7 had that much needed balance. You play Ethan for most of the game, and he's kind of weak, but just weak in an appropriate manner. Then you play Chris or Joe Baker, and they are just so tough. It added variety to the story, though.

It looks impressive, as well as scarier than the original. Like by a long shot too.

You know me. I don't praise modern day Capcom very often. But this looks spectacular. :)

It looks impressive, as well as scarier than the original. Like by a long shot too.

You know me. I don't praise modern day Capcom very often. But this looks spectacular. :)
I get the impression that the pacing and effectiveness of melee combat has been toned down which is a good thing if true.
From 4-6, the characters didnt feel vulnerable which is a powerful ingredient in communicating the element of Survival Horror. Leon was effectively a Chuck Norris' version of his former self. Supplexes, roundhouse kicks etc that made every surrounding character fly away like weightless puppets. Not to mention the abundance of ammo and how easy it was to save ammo. You just stanned the enemies wih a single bullet on the head or foot and then do a QTE. The only thing missing were hadoukens.

Apparently, the first villager still attacks Leon in the same manner. In case anybody assumed it got cut. Or axed. Pun intended!

Reactions: snc
There were a few RE4 Remake Vs RE4 original (PS4) comparison floating around youtube. I feel a bit underwhelmed with the inconsistent quality of the Remake or was it that the original (PS4), was that good graphically speaking? Re-watching the initial Remake trailer again, I can't help but find the whole village scene kinda bland and looks too similar to the PS4 version in a technical standpoint. Take for example the bricks on the buildings, looks flat and devoid of any realism asset...unlike the bricks found in the A Plague's Tale: Requiem. You can say the same thing for the ground textures as well. It doesn't help by the fact that it caps off at ~30fps, whereas the PS4 version runs at 60fps. I was impressed watching the beginning portion where Leon was walking through a dark and dense forest lit only by the clear sky/moon above. After that, it just went down hill from there. I really hope the Village parts does not represent the game as a whole and that we will see more of the great quality asset found at the beginning which looks like a true current gen game to me.

If one thing, at least these games are great for inspiring funny (or distasteful) memes. :D

Leon and his knife parrying is probably coming to become just as iconic as Chris punching a boulder now.

That must be superinforced steel.

hope they don't delay it, I've paid for the game already a few months ago.

This seems to be a common trend. Today I read some news mentioning that Hogwarts Legacy announced the minimum and recommended specs on PC, and they said that the release date might have changed 'cos Steam indicated that the game was "coming soon" instead of the expected release date, february 10th.

This is a lot of nothing.

Steam has entirely changed the way they display dates for games not yet released. Instead of showing the place holder dates of say 2023-12-31 they are now showing "Coming soon". This has happened for all the unreleased games.

I've recently replayed RE2 on PSOne and forgot how much content they actually cut out from the REMake.

I never played Res 4 and likely won't as to me a Resi game has proper zombies.

I've recently replayed RE2 on PSOne and forgot how much content they actually cut out from the REMake.

I never played Res 4 and likely won't as to me a Resi game has proper zombies.
you are a lucky guy. I completed the game back in the day on a GC I bought from a friend just to play RE4 and F-Zero GX.

For you it'd be a totally new experience. I remember a few situations in the game, although it has been a lot of time, but for you, it's new. RE is not about zombies imho. Even the first game had different enemies other than zombies. The people in RE4 are "zombified".

I noticed yesterday the 2014 "Resident Evil Ultimate HD Edition" on Steam is now named "resident evil 4 (2005)".

I remember when we were discussing the original Cube release on here. And then the PS2 version came along with disappointing texture downgrades hehe. And the Wii version's great use of the Wiimote. There was also a 2007 outsourced PC version that was a wreck and people created texture, shader and controls fixes for it. But that 2014 release is great.

Last edited:
I noticed yesterday the 2014 "Resident Evil Ultimate HD Edition" on Steam is now named "resident evil 4 (2005)".

I remember when we were discussing the original Cube release on here. And then the PS2 version came along with disappointing texture downgrades hehe. And the Wii version's great use of the Wiimote. There was also a 2007 outsourced PC version that was a wreck but that 2014 release is top quality.
Considering the hardware limitations of the PS2, I was actually quite happy with the quality the achieved on it.
Although I was a bit off put by the fact that the QTE cut scenes where actually an FMV

Considering the hardware limitations of the PS2, I was actually quite happy with the quality the achieved on it.
Although I was a bit off put by the fact that the QTE cut scenes where actually an FMV

I always found difficult to be happy with how RE4 looked after seeing Silent Hill 3.

Maybe the games looks better in person.

Back