Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

Isn't this the minimum what people expected?
2022 - was always going to release on PS5
2023 - don't see them pulling the plug 6 month before release. Remember they don't expect to own them until approx 18 months time, so deep into 2023.

It's what I expected personally and have said as much before. It's good for sony in that we'd be more than half way through the generation so people enough people may have chosen their consoles already.

Let's goooo

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/blizzard/23768911/create-a-new-universe-with-us

Blizzard is embarking on our next quest. We are going on a journey to a whole new universe, home to a brand-new survival game for PC and console. A place full of heroes we have yet to meet, stories yet to be told, and adventures yet to be lived. A vast realm of possibility, waiting to be explored.
Microsoft did say they were more interested in the pipe line than existing projects. I expect a lot more new properties announced

Microsoft did say they were more interested in the pipe line than existing projects. I expect a lot more new properties announced
I dont believe that this came up just because they were bought by Microsoft. I am sure this project existed in some form before they were bought.

It's what I expected personally and have said as much before. It's good for sony in that we'd be more than half way through the generation so people enough people may have chosen their consoles already.

Given shortages and the reach of this news, which has been monumental, we might not be that far along in the generation in terms on where we are on the generational timeline. Also, given that Microsoft is set to own COD, the simple thought process is this for most beyond the term of the marketing with Sony.

In 2024 and beyond, will we see COD on Xbox/PC? 100%. PS consoles? Who knows.
I'd wager that who knows is actually 0% but Microsoft can't speak on it now. Don't overthink it, get the console where you know its going to be, not where it might be.

I dont believe that this came up just because they were bought by Microsoft. I am sure this project existed in some form before they were bought.
I mean they said the project is kinda playable and team was created some time ago. I believe there should enough game in ATVI pipeline (especially if they save the devs from COD salt mines) :LOL:

In 2024 and beyond, will we see COD on Xbox/PC? 100%.

While it is highly improbable and hard to imagine, it isn't 100% guaranteed that COD will appear on Xbox/PC.

There's is always a possibility that MS approaches the newly acquired development teams as they have done with many of their recent acquisitions and tells the various teams that they are free to create whatever they want to create and then those teams decide they want to do something other than COD.

Unlikely? Heck yeah. COD is one of the most valuable IP available for video games. It's up there with anything Mario or Pokemon for Nintendo, Minecraft, GTA, etc. Any single title doesn't match those goliaths, but then it has also been releasing on a yearly cadence. So in any given time span, it generates a massive amount of revenue just like those IPs.

Possible? Yup. Phil Spencer and team have shown a willingness to allow developers the freedom to create what they want to create. However, does that willingness to allow developers more creative latitude apply to such a valuable IP? Probably not, but it's possible it might.

I fully expect COD to continue being made by at least one if not more MS studios in the future. However, I also wouldn't be entirely shocked if the series comes to an end.

Regards,
SB

I wasn't implying this project only exists because MS is buying them. Phil said on the investor call from the day of the announcement that it wasn't just the existing products but the pipeline that activision has. I am sure this game is one of the games he is talking about. I am also sure there are many more in the pipeline that MS is interested in

Given shortages and the reach of this news, which has been monumental, we might not be that far along in the generation in terms on where we are on the generational timeline. Also, given that Microsoft is set to own COD, the simple thought process is this for most beyond the term of the marketing with Sony.

In 2024 and beyond, will we see COD on Xbox/PC? 100%. PS consoles? Who knows.
I'd wager that who knows is actually 0% but Microsoft can't speak on it now. Don't overthink it, get the console where you know its going to be, not where it might be.

The consoles were released in 2020 so 2024 would be 4 years into the console life cycle and 2025 would be the first year the playstation doesn't have call of duty. That be its 5th year. I don't expect a 10 year console cycle.

In terms of COD on the playstation past any contractual obligations , well unless a government shoves it into buying approval which i doubt would happen then we will never see any activision/blizzard games on the playstation platform again. We may still see some games hit nintendo platforms

In terms of COD on the playstation past any contractual obligations , well unless a government shoves it into buying approval which i doubt would happen then we will never see any activision/blizzard games on the playstation platform again. We may still see some games hit nintendo platforms
It is possible that Overwatch 2 is coming to Playstation as it supposed to be the upgrade over Overwatch.
Not sure if World of Warcraft is coming to Playstation. I would personally not put it there though. Just like FF14 is fine without Xbox.

Sony really lucky in a lot of their deals even getting the next Warzone.

I wasn't implying this project only exists because MS is buying them. Phil said on the investor call from the day of the announcement that it wasn't just the existing products but the pipeline that activision has. I am sure this game is one of the games he is talking about. I am also sure there are many more in the pipeline that MS is interested in
Do we really need rocket science to expect a developer to move forward with their new projects?
Why wouldnt Microsoft or any company that could have bought them not be interested? :p
Developers make games all the time. It is self evident, normal and expected.

They work on it at least since 2years+ (dev comments)
I've read about 2017/18 on ResetEra.
Probably like their other announced game

It is possible that Overwatch 2 is coming to Playstation as it supposed to be the upgrade over Overwatch.
Not sure if World of Warcraft is coming to Playstation. I would personally not put it there though. Just like FF14 is fine without Xbox.

Sony really lucky in a lot of their deals even getting the next Warzone.

I believe Overwatch 2 will be a new sku with a new purchase needed. So I doubt it will come to playstation.

World of Warcraft isn't on any console as far as I know and if it comes to a console MS will most likely keep it exclusive to the xbox. If you think about it a xbox series s should be able to play the game pretty well at 1440p so it could be a good upgrade for people playing on older laptops. From what I understand WOW needs a pretty extensive make over as does most of the Blizzard properties.

I believe Overwatch 2 will be a new sku with a new purchase needed. So I doubt it will come to playstation.
I think it was rumored that Overwatch 2 is gonna be update over existing Overwatch. But no idea what's gonna happen considering the internal turmoil in the company and delays.

Cool. Eight years from now they'll finally release a new IP.
hopefully it'll be sooner than that. They've lost a lot of goodwill, but if this project is going to be in development for another 2-3 years, hopefully this is supported financially and internally well enough to bring back a return to form.

. From what I understand WOW needs a pretty extensive make over as does most of the Blizzard properties.
It's about 20 years old IIRC. I was playing this around 2003 when it first released.

I think with all the MMO experience under MS now, they need to just come together and make a new MMO entirely.

It's about 20 years old IIRC. I was playing this around 2003 when it first released.

I think with all the MMO experience under MS now, they need to just come together and make a new MMO entirely.

I believe Cataclysm introduced a graphical update

Looks like its gotten a lot of updates over the years
Evolution of World of Warcraft 2001-2020 - YouTube

Still might be cool to see it get a custom upgrade based around xbox series hardware that introduces ray tracing .

You'll be pleased to know you have me wishing for a modernised WoW2, which is a thought tinged with sadness. I don't have the time required for MMOs these days. :D
I played the leak of wow but I could never get into theme park mmos. I loved ultima online , lineage 2 and swg way more than wow type mmos.

I also feel you when it comes to time. Back with ultima I was in high school and could devote hours upon hours to it. Now my wife would most likely leave me lol. If I was to play an Mmo it would be the only game I would have time for

Back