AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

Indeed but doesn't each primitive unit accept 2 un-culled primitives and output 1 culled primitive per clock? So in RDNA we have:

• 2 Shader Engines
  • 2 Shader Arrays per Shader Engine
  • 1 Primitive Unit per Shader Array
  • Hence 4 primitives output per clock

According to Hotchips the XSX is setup the same albeit with 14 CU's per Shader Array rather than 10 in RDNA.

I thought it was pretty much confirmed that there were 4 Shader Engines in Navi21 which means based on the above if should have 8 primitive units.

Also bare in mind we know Navi21 has 128 ROPS which would also suggest 4 Shader Engines and 8 Shader Arrays (16 ROPS per SA) given that's how the Series X is configured this way with 2 Shader Engines and 64 ROPs.

So the only explanation I can think of for Navi21 only outputting 4 primitives per clock is if the overall architecture is drastically changed, i.e. still 4 Shader Arrays with doubled up resources in each, or the Primitive Units in Navi21 only output 1 Primitive every other clock vs one every clock in Navi10. Which sounds strange - especially as the Series X still outputs 1 per clock.

Hopefully we'll find out in about 4 hours!

And there we have it. One primitive unit per Shader Engine now rather than per shader array like in Navi10. So still only 4 :( I guess if the performance is there than it doesn't really matter but it still means nvidia has a theoretical advantage at least in this area.

Economics cant be bad in the world..... people buying pc parts like if its toilet paper.

Well the scale is quite small for high PC gaming relative to the whole world population.

Also in terms of demographics I think high end PC gaming most likely skews towards people employed in industries that are resist to if not having benefited from Covid19. This is really veering off topic, it's something that isn't comfortable to bring up but a sizable portion of the middle class have benefited from the disruptions brought on by Covid19, even though the focus has been on the very wealthy and large corporations.

Lol, these reviews are fucked. Has anyone actually benchmarked ray tracing extensively? Hardware Unboxed tested a total of two games ... lol. Gamers Nexus test a few, *corrected they do show no dlss for nvidia *

Lol, these reviews are fucked. Has anyone actually benchmarked ray tracing extensively? Hardware Unboxed tested a total of two games ... lol. Gamers Nexus test a few, *corrected they do show no dlss for nvidia *
Our review will of course have tested ray tracing.
Considering the future of graphics (and especially in PC versions of games) is ray tracing - I think it is an important performance point.

Good product from amd. But this makes me feel happy(ier) about 3070 I bought. My ugrade was fully driven by want to have ray tracing on for cyberpunk/bloodlines/... Is infinity cache too small and causing scaling to 4k not be as great as it could be? If so, then this 16GB ram for future proofing might not be greatest idea. As games use more memory less infinity cache can compensate leading to relatively poor scaling in higher res/assets situation? Will be interesting to see how these cards age and what developers will do to optimize.

In the individual games, it turns out that AMD's ray tracing implementation performs completely differently depending on the title. So there are games where AMD's solution has quite a problem. Control is such a case where the Radeon RX 6800 XT is even 16 percent behind a GeForce RTX 3070 and loses 59 percent of performance by raytracing. It is quite possible that the different approach to ray tracing implementation makes a difference here.
Because there are also games that are quite good for the AMD accelerators. In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, for example, the Radeon RX 6800 XT "only" slows down by 32 percent, not so far from the minus 29 percent of geForce RTX 3080. This puts the AMD card in the game only 10 percent behind its opponent and 13 percent faster than the GeForce RTX 3070, which in turn is 3 percent slower than the Radeon RX 6800.
https://www.computerbase.de/2020-11...iagramm-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2560-1440

Back