Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

You'd be daft to go narrow and clocked high if you didn't have to.
Following this, if Sony cannot figure out a way to get away from 18 and 36 CU, their next device would need to be 72 CU and have everything else beefed up t support it. 54CU should have been the number maybe, but now that they are releasing PS5 at 36 their path may be locked now to multiples of 36. It's unlikely we'll see pro editions this year unless 1000GB/s bandwidth comes down dramatically in price in 2-3 years, not to mention you're going to have to maintain that clock rate of 2230Mhz... that is based on the activity load and not thermals. They are pretty much bound now.

I do feel for the Sony fans who don't care for BC, they are right that BC held them from seeing a higher potential PS5. I have no idea what the future will hold for the next PS device. This problem needs to be resolved.

And there are plenty of other non-pattern examples like:
We could spend the rest of the day with me pasting good examples and you pasting bad examples in the thread, or we could reach the conclusion that there are good and bad examples of colored appliances / devices. The gamecube and gameboy advance were pretty cool in purple, and the launch-day Wii was also really nice in white. The X360 launched white + brushed metal, not black.
I'm also wondering why you would provide a wash machine as an example of something that should be black, when I've personally never seen a black one. All I know are white and brushed metal ones.

So in short, it's not a dogma that people are stupidly following.
I didn't use the word stupidly. I wrote people would be happier if they didn't follow this "it needs to be black" dogma. And it still sounds like a dogma to me.

There's nothing wrong with you wanting some more variety, but don't put tit down to short-sightedness on the part of companies making products or consumers not knowing a good thing.
Wait what? Whose short-sighteddness are we talking about?

Personally, this'll be the first time I order some sort of acrylic cover for my console. With my PS2, I went black, and I'm not going back. I can see why Sony delayed the reveal while BLM protests/riots were at their height...

I'm also wondering why you would provide a wash machine as an example of something that should be black, when I've personally never seen a black one. All I know are white and brushed metal ones.
I've been talking about (and mentioned) the staple neutral colours, black, white and grey/metal and the reasons for them. There are plenty of black washing machines.

I didn't use the word stupidly. I wrote people would be happier if they didn't follow this "it needs to be black" dogma. And it still sounds like a dogma to me.
A dogma is an idea entrenched in authority, not reason, and for me, dogma implies stupidity such as people following dogmatic religions to negative consequences or adhering to wrong ideas because they aren't allowed to consider obviously better alternatives. I've never known the adjective 'dogmatic' used in a positive fashion.

Companies aren't making neutral-colour products because they are told to and can't think for themselves, but because they think for themselves and come to the same conclusions, especially when they've offered alternative stylings and found they haven't sold well.

Seems to me that the design of the console has gone down quite well.

The "like" to "dislike" ratio, or indeed the number of views to "like" ratio on YouTube is very much in favour of the new design. It surprisingly smashes other similar devices.

I personally prefer bold designs. If Sony went with a plain box instead, then I doubt people will be talking about the design a few years from now. Whereas, I'm pretty sure we'll all have strong opinions on the device in the future.

They've chosen a design that has got people talking and isn't that exactly what the marketing group will be rubbing their hands with glee about?

Sony has produced limited edition colours, especially for PS2, and they know how well these do/don't sell

The satin silver ps2 sold rather well (fat and slim), all the other colors didn't though.
Lol @ that washing machine and tv :p

Whereas, I'm pretty sure we'll all have strong opinions on the device in the future.

I think with a design like this, there will always be love/hate reactions. A more subtle traditional design is perhaps more in the middle.
Not that it matters to me atleast, aslong it's quiet or silent even. And it needs to be somewhat portable. My ps4 is easy to take with me, most of my pc's not really.

I've always preferred simpler black/grey/sliver electronic equipment that fits in with my setup.

However, I've always seen consoles as an exception. In terms of the overall vibe, PlayStations in particular have always straddled that line between the garish, tacky, boy-racer PCs you see and the elegant, utilitarian AV equipment look. And most importantly have always been iconic and distinctive. I like everything to fit in, except a console, I want at least one thing that exhibits some flair, to take pride of place.

As longs as it's functional, I don't think Sony are particularly worried about how well it assimilates into an AV cabinet from a visual standpoint, but whether it's something people notice, whether it is a conversation starter, something that intrigues, something you associate with the games you play and the people you play with.

I expect they want it to garner nostalgia over the years so as to reinforce the brand in peoples' minds. Just as that little grey box did, as that black monolith did, as that beastly grill did..

When I think on the Xbox side, I think the X1S, X1X & XSX are wonderful, elegant, simplistic boxes and yet they're relatively boring and indistinct. However, the 360 was in my opinion as ugly as sin, but it was more distinctive and conveyed a far stronger sense of cohesion with the brand. I expect the 360 and even OG Xbox will maintain that nostalgia factor, the X1 onwards not so much..

The Cybertruck looks like something an 11yr old dreamt up and drew after watching too much 80s sci-fi. And I love it for it.. :mrgreen:

Just for context, what do you think about cybertruck?

Hehe. The Cybertruck is an interesting lesson in bold design. I'm sure plenty of people will go through the hate it -> don't mind -> like it journey with PS5 too. If people still hate it, it's at least easy to hide without needing to build a bigger garage.

Hehe. The Cybertruck is an interesting lesson in bold design. I'm sure plenty of people will go through the hate it -> don't mind -> like it journey with PS5 too. If people still hate it, it's at least easy to hide without needing to build a bigger garage.

The great thing about a cyber truck is I sit inside of it an don't have to look at it. A ps5 sits in my living room and looks completely out of place with a black tv , black cable box , black xbox series x and black fire tv cube and so on and so forth.

I am sure it would look great in a dorm or a bachelor pad or a gaming room

The great thing about a cyber truck is I sit inside of it an don't have to look at it. A ps5 sits in my living room and looks completely out of place with a black tv , black cable box , black xbox series x and black fire tv cube and so on and so forth.

I am sure it would look great in a dorm or a bachelor pad or a gaming room

Booring. My living room's entirely purple to match my Gamecube.

Licences are at the account level. If you plugged in a HDD with a bunch of games, you'd only be able to play those with licences associated with your account. All others will have a padlock, but you'll still likely see them installed.
That's not exactly how it works on PS4. If you have an external HDD full of games the license is married to the system and account. You have to divorce it from the system before you can hook that drive up to another PS4 and play the games on it. It isn't purely account based, there is some sort of hardware based copy protection as well. It might be a limitation of how PS4 handles external drives, though. That wasn't a feature that the PS4 supported at all at launch.

Back