Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Depends what the defining factor of the capacity is though. Does the next size up have to be 2x 825 GBs?

I assume defining factor would be the 12 channels used to connect chips to get the required speed(and odd capacity of 825GB). Easiest and the most typical way to get more capacity would be to double the density. To get to 2TB unusual density for chips would be needed. Adding more channels&chips to cover difference from 1.65TB to 2TB doesn't make sense if sony is at all cost sensitive. That gap also feels like it's too big to be bridged with something related to yields in chips.

Last edited:
I mean every game is running off storage drive regardless...so the storage capacity problem will be the same for everyone...
yea and my internet connection download speed will far surpass the speed of bluray install. I recognize that's not going to be available for everyone. But that's why they provide the option.

So you are telling me SONY managed to make a HW design that needs an external stand when in vertical position AND in horizontal? Sorry, that alone is an antithesis of good design. The most basic aspect of the machine: SITTING IN PLACE, it can't do properly on it's own without a cumbersome extra plastic piece. That already shows SONY has got their heart in the wrong place design-wise.

Making flashy and bold shapes is easy. Amateur college kids create flashy bold concept renders by the dozens. By all all means, this PS5 does not look bad at all. Despite the imense size, I think it does look aesthetically pretty. But does that make the design good? No fucking way.

Product design should service USE and UTILITY first, aesthetics second. Just like games should prioritise GAMEPLAY first, graphics second.

I, and I believe most consumers, want a product that can disapear in the living room. Let the games impress, not the machine. I'll take care cf decorating my home with artwork and furniture of my personal chosing. I really hate to have a mass produced consumer product that will look the same in millions of other homes be competing for the place of most stand-out object in the room. That is not what consoles are for.

I didn't follow the dates. But what are launch window games (first 6 months) and which ones are going to be way out there?

So, what do we think the cooling is doing? In one side out the other? Or in the 'bottom' or back, out the vents? Mobo in is the middle being cooled both side, almost certainly. How innovative can Sony be?

So, what do we think the cooling is doing? In one side out the other? Or in the 'bottom' or back, out the vents? Mobo in is the middle being cooled both side, almost certainly. How innovative can Sony be?
We didn't get closeups or the backside of the device, so it's really hard to make some guesses on this front. Seems weighed towards the bottom side of the console, that's also where the stand is biased to even in horizontal setup.

So you are telling me SONY managed to make a HW design that needs an external stand when in vertical position AND in horizontal? Sorry, that alone is an antithesis of good design.

I agree, it's difficult to tell from the limited angles of the pictures what purpose the stand performs in horizontal orientation. It may be all the contours mean it does not lie flat in which case, the stand serves the purpose of levelling the console created by the flaw Sony created to make the PS5 look good/curvy (*subjective) in vertical orientation. :runaway:

I think PS5 looks great vertically, but I think it looks awful in horizontal orientation - but that's likely what I'll go with. It'll be barely visible through my clouded glass covering my AV centre shelves.

I mean every game is running off storage drive regardless...so the storage capacity problem will be the same for everyone...
i was thinking the same but then I realized that this is based on the download speeds vs install speeds.
Installing the game from disk will take time but it will be faster unless the user's download speed is much faster.
I am curious how much space the devs will be saving from duplicated assets. That might help things out.

yea and my internet connection download speed will far surpass the speed of bluray install. I recognize that's not going to be available for everyone. But that's why they provide the option.

Some of the patches for these AAA's games now are larger than whatever files are coming on the disc...

The advantages of going physical is mostly limited to the collecting aspect now. Even the used game advantage is not as strong as it once was with the amount of sales on the digital stores and emerging subscription services...

Some of the patches for these AAA's games now are larger than whatever files are coming on the disc...

The advantages of going physical is mostly limited to the collecting aspect now. Even the used game advantage is not as strong as it once was with the amount of sales on the digital stores and emerging subscription services...

The recent COD patch was 84 GB. :runaway:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...out-to-be-a-lot-bigger-than-expected-for-some

"84GB" trends on Twitter as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare update is lot bigger than expected for some
The download weighs in at 45GB on PC, 32.375GB on PS4, and 44GB on Xbox One. At least, it's supposed to be 44GB on Xbox One. However, some Xbox One users are having to download twice that size - and as you'd expect the reaction is negative.

Activision has said it's investigating the issue, so it sounds like this Xbox One download size is an error. However, that won't be of much help to the Call of Duty fans that are already in the middle of the download.

:LOL:

I've brought Doom 1, the one that ran on my old 386, not the 2016 not a remaster, and it takes 1.5TB on the disk.
There's something wicked about modern game size that has nothing to do with the assets.
I vote for the developers using my console to backup their holidays' video.
I think someone had a load of old floppies to shift and suckered you into thinking Doom was 1.5tb game split across 20 thousand of them.

Its 2 different cases, so there is at least that difference and not just different size storage drive to add in.
Hence my point that they produce ps4 and 4pro and are able to manage the ordering of different parts and logistics fine.
The logistics of the manufacturering side is not a problem for them.

Both systems are likely to sell out early days, so they can gauge what the demand is like after the initial launch sales frenzy.
As long as they sell reasonably well they won't be worrying is if they had made one DD version instead of the other, the stock would've sold out 1 day earlier.

Sony, and retailers, want to sell you the console with UHD drive, some disc games, some UHD movies and that media remote. If anything, to pacify retailers, Sony may hold back on the Digital Edition.
Retailers maybe, Sony I'm not so sure about. I'm sure they would be happier for people to go digital.

Yup, and Sony and Microsoft will need retail
Some retailers refused to sell xbox due to things like this.
But, yea they need them to sell through to customers still. But doesn't mean they like it. Haha

Both systems are likely to sell out early days, so they can gauge what the demand is like after the initial launch sales frenzy.
Didn't the lame versions of previous consoles fail to sell? I vaguely recall 360 Arcades and 20 GB PS3 just sat on shelves.

When you think of it, the actual usable space on 825GB will probably be only around 700GB? So it wouldn't be surprising if the digital edition is a larger capacity...

We didn't get closeups or the backside of the device, so it's really hard to make some guesses on this front. Seems weighed towards the bottom side of the console, that's also where the stand is biased to even in horizontal setup.
Indeed. However, if we got through the options (assuming vertical pos in descrptions)...

In back/base, out vents - air is drawn over both sides of the mobo an pushed out the vents up top.
In one side vents, out the other - air is drawn in over one side of the mobo and routed up out the other side.
In vents - air as to go out somewhere, so out the back/base.

The only way we aren't passing over both sides is if the mobo isn't in the middle, which strikes me as implausible. So cooling must be fairly shallow and long/wide. I'm thinking cooling of the SOC must be both sides using some of Sony's through-mobo ideas, which would tally with Cerny's comments about the cooling being something of note.

Is retail sales of consoles that big of a deal anymore? People buy from amazon/... Would those e-tailers care digital vs. physical media? Amazon will sell bunch of gift cards/psn subscriptions to complement the digital only console.

Is retail sales of consoles that big of a deal anymore? People buy from amazon/... Would those etailers care digital vs. physical media?

I think Amazon probably doesn't really care....Walmart probably does cares a bit....Gamestop/EB Games is shitting bricks...

Back