Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I agree completely. You just don't want to do this. I don't think there will be two options for the SSD size, there is an expansion slot to address that specific problem.

I was addressing the speculation that the Digital Edition may have more SSD. It's more typical for your premium product offering to have less compromises, so I wouldn't expect more SSD space in the device without the UHD drive. That said, no optical drive means no install from disc so it would seem logical to have more space to skirt that issue but this would be contrary to CE device marketing and pricing.

I think both PS5 consoles will come with 825Gb, which still feels ludicrously small. I am eager to see the install sizes for cross-gen games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla. We'll have a better idea once we see a monster open world game for nextgen.

Removing the repeated assets should help.

Removing the repeated assets should help.
Definitely and with Spider-Man we know some assets were repeated ~400 times. But assets quality will likely increase some as well so I'm curious how it will all balance out. It's why I'm eager to know the install size of AC: Valhalla on PS5.

More like 2 to 2 and a half. The attach rate (games bought per average console) of the PS4 was like, 11, about two years ago. So by now it should be, 13, maybe 15? Something like that.
Guess the actual important question is how many do they play at one time, do they have 2 or 3 that they play constantly and rest can be backed up, or re downloaded without being a huge juggling act.

They probably have telemetry for all that, so for average user may not be a big deal. For heavy users, they would buy external drive which would be quicker than installing from disc anyway. Also can upgrade internal ssd but that's gonna be expensive for now.

I agree completely. You just don't want to do this. I don't think there will be two options for the SSD size, there is an expansion slot to address that specific problem.

I was addressing the speculation that the Digital Edition may have more SSD.

I was thinking of just what we know at the moment, ie Digital only and with Optical. But yes we are in agreement.
I feel shivers down my spine just thinking about it and I do not even work with procurement nor supply.

I mean even if the bords are 100% identical and they just click on the optical drive onto the board and use another casing.
It still is difference in production line, in regards to the assembly.
There is also difference in procurement, ie buying how much of each part.
Supply wise we are talking about different packing, I assume packaging differences can be squished down to just a sleeve on the box, still packing differences is the end result.
But biggest headache I assume, will be how much stock per device should they have/produce/put into the channels.

All this with just those 2 SKUs we know about now, if we add colour and SSD size on top of that, I would probably have nervous breakdown, somebody within Sony is probably crying :p

I do hope they have lots of colours and ssd sizes, but somebody is hurting if they do :D

Yeah. DD only at launch, what happens if Sony gets the SKU balance wrong? Might hurt sales records if people wait for the out-of-stock console.

All this with just those 2 SKUs we know about now, if we add colour and SSD size on top of that, I would probably have nervous breakdown, somebody within Sony is probably crying :p
Think your over thinking it.
Even if ssd was different size, how is ordering 2 different sizes different than them selling 500GB and 1TB ps4's?
They seem to be able to manage the ended to end production and sales of PS4 and 4Pro also.

The only real question is the price difference and what factors influenced it.

Think your over thinking it.
Even if ssd was different size, how is ordering 2 different sizes different than them selling 500GB and 1TB ps4's?
These are functionally different though, and not interchangeable. If you want a 1 TB PS4 and there's only 500 GB in stock, you can get that and upgrade. If you want a disk-less PS5 and they are sold out, you can't turn a disk-enabled to disk-less, so you have to wait on stock, and vice versa. For stock management you have to get that balance just right as you'll have stock sat on shelves if you get it wrong. And in the case of the drives, procurement will put in contracts for how many drives for how long?

These are functionally different though, and not interchangeable. If you want a 1 TB PS4 and there's only 500 GB in stock, you can get that and upgrade. If you want a disk-less PS5 and they are sold out, you can't turn a disk-enabled to disk-less, so you have to wait on stock, and vice versa. For stock management you have to get that balance just right as you'll have stock sat on shelves if you get it wrong. And in the case of the drives, procurement will put in contracts for how many drives for how long?
I was talking about his worry about Sony having to handle ordering different stock and production etc.

In regards to what you mean, how often has a console launched meeting demand?
I'm sure they could tweak the production line for next major shipment pretty easily (couple month later say)
The short, medium, long term benefits, easily out weighs the initial launch educated guessing they'll have to do.

I was talking about his worry about Sony having to handle ordering different stock and production etc.

Its 2 different cases, so there is at least that difference and not just different size storage drive to add in.

Yeah. DD only at launch, what happens if Sony gets the SKU balance wrong? Might hurt sales records if people wait for the out-of-stock console.
Pre-orders for PS4 began in July 2013, four months ahead of launch. Sony will have plenty of time to adjust production as pre-orders begin coming in. They'll be fine unless that begin manufacturing consoles ahead and the pre-order the ratio is crazy skewed.

Sony, and retailers, want to sell you the console with UHD drive, some disc games, some UHD movies and that media remote. If anything, to pacify retailers, Sony may hold back on the Digital Edition.

Pre-orders for PS4 began in July 2013, four months ahead of launch. Sony will have plenty of time to adjust production as pre-orders begin coming in. They'll be fine unless that begin manufacturing consoles ahead and the pre-order the ratio is crazy skewed.

Sony, and retailers, want to sell you the console with UHD drive, some disc games, some UHD movies and that media remote. If anything, to pacify retailers, Sony may hold back on the Digital Edition.

I didn’t think about that. If all consoles go digital, what are game shops going to do?

I didn’t think about that. If all consoles go digital, what are game shops going to do?

Yup, and Sony and Microsoft will need retail at launch subject to the COVID-19 satiation. Both consoles are large, there is no way the courier industry could delivery millions of these things for delivery on day 1. They need retail on side and retail will want something out of it, not just the console and perhaps a second controller.

Depends what the defining factor of the capacity is though. Does the next size up have to be 2x 825 GBs?

This was touched on in The Road of PS5. Mark Cerny said 825Gb was the "most natural size" for the SDD given they're spreading bandwidth across 12 PCI channels. NAND comes in all sorts of capacities due to target, defect and production factors and Mark Cerny mentioned cost as a factor for choosing 825Gb. Sony ought to be able to scale up to any number of a variety of different capacities should they want too. I'm not seeing an issue here.

I have no idea how the 100% DD people are going to deal with the storage. I'm about 50/50 disk/dd on a 1TB ps4 and I delete games often and always delete the disk ones since reinstalling takes no time, if games are twice the size I will need 2TB about a year after launch. The trailers already have 5 games I am buying day one, and two are a maybe after reviews.

I mean every game is running off storage drive regardless...so the storage capacity problem will be the same for everyone...

Back