Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Unless you consider every game that is frame capped to be underutilized,
the CPU being faster and burning through its workload in less time to leave more time for the GPU isn't under-utilizing it.

Why do you believe that for games which are not frame limited, that the CPU and GPU utilisation will not increase to produce more frames? What is driving the production of new frames if not the CPU?
Yes. This is hopefully true. A 60 fps upgrade for 30 fps games... maybe without patches. This would justify an immediate purchase.

Unless you consider every game that is frame capped to be underutilized,
the CPU being faster and burning through its workload in less time to leave more time for the GPU isn't under-utilizing it.

Yes. This is hopefully true. A 60 fps upgrade for 30 fps games... maybe without patches. This would justify an immediate purchase.

But is it possible to speed up a game like that, unless the game is patched? Are not console games very controlled in regards to timings? IE speeding up a part will cause ripple effects through the game state?

Looking at PS4Pro and its boost mode, usually does not do much, from what I have read. But Pro patches does give improvements.

But 60 fps ps5 vs 30 fps ps4pro still is gonna be a wide underutilised ps5 CPU.

How are you calculating this? :???:

Looking at PS4Pro and its boost mode, usually does not do much, from what I have read. But Pro patches does give improvements.

Because PS4 Pro's CPU is not a big upgrade over base PS4.

But is it possible to speed up a game like that, unless the game is patched? Are not console games very controlled in regards to timings? IE speeding up a part will cause ripple effects through the game state?

doable for some, undoable for others.

doable: anything that also comes to PC with 60fps probably.
undoable: Bloodborne, probably requires major recoding.

From the Playstation Magazine UK:

EupreFi.jpg
66oFBFx.jpg

I wonder if this was supposed to be out already..

Ok, it seems these are simply the games that had already been announced in some form. There's nothing really new here.
I'll leave the list for reference though.

Yeah I recall that someone from Bethesda last week said if anyone was asking questions about Elder Scrolls 6 and not Starfield then they were asking questions about the wrong game, because apparently ES6 is only coming years after Starfield.

Don't belive in many old games to be patched... they of course prefer to sell new games and new console. But for me having quite a lot of old stuff to finish I would like this. They can SELL the patch hopefully... a way of making some money from relatively old titles. Maybe 5 dollars or such to unlock the 60 fps on some games.

I dont think paid patching upgrades will be common outside of shitty pubs like ea since the iterative machines set the precedent otherwisw

I dont think paid patching upgrades will be common outside of shitty pubs like ea since the iterative machines set the precedent otherwisw
That's a pity. Some degree of profit for publishers is welcome to me... let me pay something for a better gaming experience on old titles... I know EA is going to remaster old Mass Effect titles and I for sure I'll buy them... but alongside they can patch Andromeda to make it run at 60 fps... I loved also that game even if it lakes some of the rytm and atmosphere of the first titles.

Is there any monetary incentive for that? If yes, what are they?

Its easier to get people on board with the new platform if you make it as easy and seamless and good as possible to upgrade from earlier iterations. Its as simple as keeping the money train that is their online ecosystem going into the future. Its the same as free ps4 pro upgrades from ps4 but sony had far less incentive for people to upgrade for pro than with ps5...hence its even more likely now imo

Back