What are you playing now? [2018-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Framerate is impressive, and never any hickups with streaming. Very solid, good work.
But it's not pushing the boundary, like Control does. Levels are designed so never too much details are visible at once, and there is no expensive foliage or detailed stuff.
I'm more impressed about the game design here than about tech. It has many frustrating aspects for me, but i can't stop playing... the highest art in making games.
I also like how they kept the hellish science fiction cross over art style and Quake 3 alike level design. Q3 is probably the most iconic and influential game for me, nice to see it still lives somehow.

Not a fan of it all in this title, kind of broken on Pascal GPUs. Resolution drops massively to claw back even small performance drops.
It is pretty aggressive but you can turn down the fps target so I don't see the problem.

Playing Doom Eternal. Ofc. properly: On PC with a mouse.
Thanks to you console people, camera adjusts automatically after jumping to a climbable wall, or when doing such a glory kill. It breaks my flow.
Voice acting sounds like looking a power fantasy anime for kids. Because all console people are under age, it seems.
Finally i have to learn lots of annoying extra button actions and go through off game menus. You know, skill trees and all this crap. It's because this is the only way for console people they can develop any skill at all, using their... pfff - gamepads.
So thanks for ruining my beloved Doom franchise, console people! :p Initially i really hated the game.

But after giving it a chance, i turned my mind. It's fucking good! I love how they adapt music dynamically to gameplay. And after getting used to all those buttons, fights are tense and satisfying.
Playing the game gives an ecstatic feeling. I have missed this feeling. Sometimes it's even better than Amid Evil, which is oh so great to me.
Too bad no time left today to play it again... recommended :)

Skill tree is modern gaming not console gaming. I begins to find it annoying it is everywhere.

Last edited:
Skill tree is modern gaming not console gaming. I begins to find it annoying it is wvrywhere.
Yeah, but maybe modern gaming is result of 'any game on all platforms - because development is so expensive, we need them all'.
PC gamers suffer more here, because you can play a game designed for gamepad with mouse but not so well the other way around. Still that's an acceptable compromise.

What's really an issue for me is the grown complexity with controls. Modern games tend to have many special abilities, requiring many buttons and tactics to remember.
I often don't play for weeks, then i want to continue but realize i have forgotten all those abilities and buttons. I end up frustrated and quit the game, no longer motivated to finish it.
So this makes the games less accessible, which is bad.

For me that's frustrating twice, because mostly i think those extra abilities add nothing to the game. Whenever possible, i avoid to use them at all. I often finish games without ever trying secondary weapon modes, combos, etc. Even if those extras are designed well, i perceive them mostly as annoying.
Doom is a better example here. The game forced me to use glory kills otherwise i would constantly die. Only after being forced, after some time i realize it's a mechanic that adds to the ecstatic feeling. I did not use glory kills with Doom 2016.
Control is a worse example. Mastering extra abilities is overwhelming and frustrating. I always ended up falling to death when i wanted to decrease altitude from flying, and i still don't grasp how this mechanic is intended to be used.
Though, i'm probably an extreme case here. I already complained when shooters added weapon reloading :)

Yeah, but maybe modern gaming is result of 'any game on all platforms - because development is so expensive, we need them all'.
PC gamers suffer more here, because you can play a game designed for gamepad with mouse but not so well the other way around. Still that's an acceptable compromise.

What's really an issue for me is the grown complexity with controls. Modern games tend to have many special abilities, requiring many buttons and tactics to remember.
I often don't play for weeks, then i want to continue but realize i have forgotten all those abilities and buttons. I end up frustrated and quit the game, no longer motivated to finish it.
So this makes the games less accessible, which is bad.

For me that's frustrating twice, because mostly i think those extra abilities add nothing to the game. Whenever possible, i avoid to use them at all. I often finish games without ever trying secondary weapon modes, combos, etc. Even if those extras are designed well, i perceive them mostly as annoying.
Doom is a better example here. The game forced me to use glory kills otherwise i would constantly die. Only after being forced, after some time i realize it's a mechanic that adds to the ecstatic feeling. I did not use glory kills with Doom 2016.
Control is a worse example. Mastering extra abilities is overwhelming and frustrating. I always ended up falling to death when i wanted to decrease altitude from flying, and i still don't grasp how this mechanic is intended to be used.
Though, i'm probably an extreme case here. I already complained when shooters added weapon reloading :)

Keep it simple. This is the reason I want to see first Housemarque AAA, they want to keep arcade gameplay loop. This was great in 1993 Doom or Quake or Housemarque shootem up.

Gears Tactics. If you like tactical combat style games, get it. If you don't feel like paying full price, get Game Pass for a month (or longer, it's a great service).

Regards,
SB

Too bad it released at the same time that the new xcom :/ I took xcom, I'll wait for a sales for Gears.

At last, No Man's Sky. Wonderful game, I love it. Still bothered by a few bugs, though.

Last edited:
I'm playing through the latest Tomb Raider courtesy of PSNow.

I'm paying absolutely no attention to the story in this one. I didn't particularly like her characterisation in the last one and they've failed to make her interesting in this one. She should be a fully realised, confident woman by now. She still feels like a nervous teenager, and she's got none of the quippy fun that she should have adopted as a self defense mechanism after two life threatening adventures.

Then there's the fact that she's leaping out of trees, shooting enemies with rope arrows, and hugging their last breaths out of them. Probably while whispering something sinister in their ear like "I know where your wife lives."

I'm half expecting to unlock a "skin your enemies alive" ability.

So I'm dressing her exclusively in animal pelts and pretending that the events of the first two games broke her and turned her feral.

Just finished a great game that I found on Xbox Game Pass. It's called Deliver Us The Moon & it's single player story based game where you play an astronaut in 2059 that is being sent to the moon 5 years after an accident that shutdown a microwave power transmitter that supplied energy to earth. Very interesting tech & atmosphere. I highly recommend it. It's available on all 3 consoles & PC(Steam, etc). It started in February 2016 as a Kickstarter project by KeokeN Interactive.

Tommy McClain

Just finished a great game that I found on Xbox Game Pass. It's called Deliver Us The Moon & it's single player story based game where you play an astronaut in 2059 that is being sent to the moon 5 years after an accident that shutdown a microwave power transmitter that supplied energy to earth. Very interesting tech & atmosphere. I highly recommend it. It's available on all 3 consoles & PC(Steam, etc). It started in February 2016 as a Kickstarter project by KeokeN Interactive.

Tommy McClain
I like how the input lag of Deliver Us The Moon simulates low-grav movement. Like when I try to pull a trigger and the gun shoots later. :mrgreen:

Pretty clean looking game, I must say.

I like how the input lag of Deliver Us The Moon simulates low-grav movement. Like when I try to pull a trigger and the gun shoots later. :mrgreen:

Pretty clean looking game, I must say.

Nice. LOL Yeah some of the zero gravity sections were challenging. Are you playing on console or PC? Finished game with half of the achievements. Thought I got all the collectibles thirst go round but missed 3. Supposedly, if you get everything you will be able to piece together another part of the story. Hate when games do that, but in this instance I don't have a problem with it. Hope they make a sequel. Instabuy for sure.

Tommy McClain

Nice. LOL Yeah some of the zero gravity sections were challenging. Are you playing on console or PC? Finished game with half of the achievements. Thought I got all the collectibles thirst go round but missed 3. Supposedly, if you get everything you will be able to piece together another part of the story. Hate when games do that, but in this instance I don't have a problem with it. Hope they make a sequel. Instabuy for sure.

Tommy McClain
Playing on XOS - the framerate is awful and the lag is epic. :p I like it otherwise. Probably could have used a 30fps option on console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back