Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I know, It's just I like to believe in magic :p Anyway, I agree. And even without Sony "secret sauce", a "classic" SSD with this powerfull cpu will do nice things for streaming game assets, it's will be a huge gap vs ps4/xbox. I remember the tests in days gone, hdd vs ssd, it was the same thing, so my guess was that the cpu was the limiting factor.
I'm a little "let down" by the 16gb memory tbh. Granted with ssd they can swap in textures faster, but it's still no ideal to do. I would like 24 or more...

Samsung already announced that next consoles will use "optimized NVMe", whatever that means .. according to them, it's significantly faster than SATA SSDs.

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-xbox-scarlett-could-be-using-samsung-nvme-ssd/

I am very curious that samsung uses "Monster Hunter" as reference (I think it is monster hunter world).

Did Capcom write a patch to test PS5 SSD speed?? or no patch of Monster Hunter?

If the SSD has really fast decompression, is it possible to decrease loading time a lot without patches?

I am very curious that samsung uses "Monster Hunter" as reference (I think it is monster hunter world).

Did Capcom write a patch to test PS5 SSD speed?? or no patch of Monster Hunter?

If the SSD has really fast decompression, is it possible to decrease loading time a lot without patches?

As far as I can recall, Samsung released no info on how they "benchmarked" their optimized SSD, so I feel that it's quite likely that they... didn't. It's just a bunch of estimates.

Samsung cite the video being our of sync with the audio because of HDD. Anyone experience that with Monster Hunter, or any game ever? Sounds like a clumsy marketing push, overselling the disadvantages of the alternative.

Why? What difference will 24 make versus 16 in game execution?

More textures and assets (without the need of swapping data in an out to often). I mean 16 is "only" 4gb more than xbox right ? And the gpu power will approx. double, the cpu performances too (or more), the storage will be massively faster, etc. So, I wanted more. You see some pc (rare) games pushing 12-13gb of assets right now, only for vram (I have FFXV with textures pack in mind). In 3-4 years, 12 or 16gb video card will be the new 8gb imo. So with 24gb instead of 16, it kinds of futur proof the thing a little. But if they're planning a mi life upgrade (ps5 pro or whatever), yeah, they don't care.

More textures and assets (without the need of swapping data in an out to often).
But if you can swap them in, what does it matter? I think people underestimate what it takes to produce and fill 16 GBs of RAM with assets. I think we'll hit production cost ceilings long before we have RAM limits. Presently we have about 5GBs for games in PS4. Next gen will nearly triple that, and most importantly it won't need to cache GBs of data that can't be streamed quickly enough to work from storage.

I doubt a PS5 with 24 GBs of RAM would much more in experience over a PS5 with 16 GBs of RAM other than cost. RAM bandwidth on the rumoured specs is a harder limit to asset quality.

I've always vision of stutters when a lot of data are swap in and out of vram on PC. But yeah, it can be better on consoles...

Already posted in this thread on Tuesday and with more information and context:

Following this snafu, I was able to confirm with several insiders about the actual ports on the current early iterations of the hardware. Keep in mind, these may not be final and are subject to change but do come from multiple people familiar with the hardware.​

As it stands right now, the series X features, on the back of the hardware, two USB-A ports (of the SuperSpeed variety), ethernet, a single HDMI port, optical audio, and a power connection. There is also another port on the back that may be used for debugging but there wasn’t an agreement on the nature of its functionality. The image at the top of this post shows a basic outline of how those ports appear on the actual hardware.​

Also, on the back of the device are openings for air intake as well; all of the ports are located on the lower half of the hardware. Keep in mind, there is also a USB-A port on the front of the console but for now, it looks like Microsoft is sticking with the older USB style port.​

2 USB-A on the lower back of the tower ? That's very outdated. Remind me the PCs towers I was building...20 years ago.

I can already see people crouching and complaining trying to plug-in their USB cable on that machine.

2 USB-A on the lower back of the tower ? That's very outdated. Remind me the PCs towers I was building...20 years ago.

I can already see people crouching and complaining trying to plug-in their USB cable on that machine.

I doubt many people have been praying for a new generation of consoles because the act of plugging into usb-a ports have been such a challenging task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back