Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or they are not going semi custom to any great level and are going discreet chips, further closing the gap between Xbox on console and pc.
I feel like that would be a detrimental error for BC. Compute on console works because of the setup. Splitting CPU and GPU will certainly slow down the GPGPU functions if they are being used today.

I feel like that would be a detrimental error for BC. Compute on console works because of the setup. Splitting CPU and GPU will certainly slow down the GPGPU functions if they are being used today.

I believe the GPGPU is facilitated by common memory pool, could this still be possible outside an apu as it's not a pc with legacy baggage?

A small GPU on the CPU die would also be possible for such tasks, a pure compute unit if it was critical.

I believe the GPGPU is facilitated by common memory pool, could this still be possible outside an apu as it's not a pc with legacy baggage?

A small GPU on the CPU die would also be possible for such tasks, a pure compute unit if it was critical.
The advantage comes from the shared memory pool as I understand it. I don’t think you can do a shared memory pool over 2 discrete chips. You’re bound to run into something issues I think.

That's interesting, I never thought of an MCM configuration having issues with unified memory.

Is it inherently a problem, or has it just not been done before? Isn't it, in the most lay terms possible, just a matter of running wires from each module to the memory?

That's interesting, I never thought of an MCM configuration having issues with unified memory.

Is it inherently a problem, or has it just not been done before? Isn't it, in the most lay terms possible, just a matter of running wires from each module to the memory?
I wasn't discussing MCM at the time; but on the topic I don't see MCM coming to console.

You'd need a memory controller inbetween the 2 I think. What if both are requesting from the same address at the same time or one is writing and the other reading. There needs to be something controlling the flow.

You can accommodate discrete chips going forward by employing an apu with a discrete gpu. The apu is used to accommodate BC of past gens while using a discrete gpu.

You can accommodate discrete chips going forward by employing an apu with a discrete gpu. The apu is used to accommodate BC of past gens while using a discrete gpu.
scorpio + other? or something to that effect?
pretty nutty I guess.. but possible I suppose..

A great showcase for Unreal Engine, Alex takes a close look through the upgrade changes evident in Gears 5's new E3 trailer - from the focus on seasonal weather effects to improved shaders. It's a stunner, and the trailer is presented here at 4K too.

A great showcase for Unreal Engine, Alex takes a close look through the upgrade changes evident in Gears 5's new E3 trailer - from the focus on seasonal weather effects to improved shaders. It's a stunner, and the trailer is presented here at 4K too.

significant change to JD there. wow.. he's totally facked up since Gears 4. The comparison between his face and body between 4 and 5 is dramatic. The former being a freshman, the latter like he's seen shit.

JD shamelessly stole all the beard budget from his old man' chin and now Marcus looks somewhat younger than his son :LOL:, hope this is only a place holder coz that's totally absurd. The lighting still looks somewhat off, bit plasticky on models but everything else seems to be better.

If I were to speculate, and I am.

JD got a promotion within COGs and he's in the office more than the field now. So he eats more donuts and has gained a bunch of weight. :p

Regards,
SB

So far, the use of the Unreal Engine 4 has been disappointing on console to me if we exclude Dragon Ball Z. The future Gears 5 could be one of the game that changes this trend.

Article
What's immediately apparent is that there's a fluidity to the animation quite unlike anything on the market, to the point where some don't even believe that the demo is authentic in-game action. Of course, Naughty Dog has a rich history in pushing back the boundaries in this respect, with the expertly crafted blending and transitions seen in both the Uncharted titles and The Last of Us, but clearly, this latest E3 reveal is on a whole new level - and it's all down to a new animation technology known as motion matching.

Rendering though? This is an area where Naughty Dog are masters of the game, and The Last of Us Part 2 doesn't disappoint, clearly evolving the systems and technologies it built for Uncharted 4 with a stunning implementation of indirect lighting, volumetrics, reflections and their interaction with materials. Model detail, of course, is second to none, but as good as the game looks, the developer seems to understand that great graphics on their own can't sell the experience. Our big takeaway from The Last of Us Part 2's E3 gameplay reveal is that it's not just about rendering a realistic-looking world, it's about players being able to believably immerse themselves in it. The demo looks brilliant, and we can't wait to see if the final game delivers on the immense promise shown here.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-forza-horizon-4-e3-demo-hands-on

Forza Horizon 4's E3 demo delivers a racing masterclass
Seasons to be cheerful.

We knew that Forza Horizon 4 would be coming to E3 2018, of course. After all, a new Forza game arrives without fail every year, and with Turn 10 revealing Forza Motorsport 7 at the last Microsoft E3 briefing, it would be Playground Games' turn this year. And with that came some trepidation. Forza Horizon 3 was a brilliant game and a massive step forward for the series, but could the developers deliver the same level of technical brilliant and innovations once more? After the astonishing reveal and 20 minutes of hands-on time, the signs are all looking good.

Yes, Forza Horizon 4 is a natural evolution of its predecessor, but with a slew of new visual features and gameplay ideas - and from a technical perspective, there's also the mouthwatering possibilities offered up by the fact that the game is the first in the series to have been created with Xbox One X in mind from the start. This is most evident in the announced frame-rate options. Playground's Ralph Fulton proudly announced that the Xbox One X version of the game will feature a 60fps option which is something we hoped for when Horizon 3 was patched for Xbox One X - but the dream is set to become reality. Details are thin on the ground but logic suggests it'll manifest as a lower resolution, high performance mode while the typical 30fps option goes for native 4K instead.

The star shaped bloom is pretty nice.

TLOU2 is really impressive. The only area where the game is not above the concurrence is the motion blur. It still looks bad in their current build and they really need to improve it.

TLOU2 is really impressive. The only area where the game is not above the concurrence is the motion blur. It still looks bad in their current build and they really need to improve it.
The trailer looks fantastic but I stopped believing Naughty Dog trailers a long time ago.

If you go back to any other game after watching the TLOU2 gameplay you'll see a sudden dip in realism, quality and believability. The whole demo was like one uninterrupted cutscene, it's almost the holygrail of gaming:).

Yeah only the initial reveal trailers of the Last of Us 1 and Uncharted 4 looked better than the actual game.
Everything else was pretty much the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back