Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2018]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Shifty Geezer, Jan 1, 2018.

1. chris1515

Veteran Regular

He said shdoaing and ao.

2. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

The raytracing used in that Metro demo shown awhile back was utterly disappointing, I bet 99% of people wouldn't notice it if weren't told. The Star War demo was the real deal as long as you have 4 Titan Vs. I bet my soul if you used all those power on the more conventional techniques and rasterizer, the overall visual on display would be much more impressive. So even if technically or thematically it's not a generational jump in lighting but the end result more than warrants the title.

3. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Even if true, the cost to create better looking visuals using standard techniques would be higher. You'd have to develop loads of different hacks and assets to create what ray-tracing achieves through the most elegant algorithm. As Laa-Yosh explained with their transition to ray-tracing, setting up the scenes and iterating to get good results is an order of magnitude simpler and faster through ray-tracing. When the hardware can do it, development costs might go down quite a bit allowing for faster, cheaper game development. Hypothetically, if one console could offer that to devs, it may get a lot more exclusives as ROI could well be higher and lower risk.

iroboto, OCASM and Recop like this.
  4. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Around three of the four cards were for the reflections alone and there is no other way to get good reflections.

5. OCASM

Regular Newcomer

Soft lighting / shadows alone would make a huge difference. Here's a pretty good video explaining why:

Nvidia and Unity came up with a really good technique for direct area shadows:

EXACTLY. Models are extremely detailed with complex shading models but analytical hard lighting/shadows just aren't good enough.

UE4 already supported voxel GI in 2012 but consoles turned out to be too weak:

CryEngine's voxel GI is already supported in games like The Hunt and Kingdom Come Deliverance. Also this past GDC Nvidia announced an improved version of VXGI:

I think we'll see it in many games next-gen.

Well, Metro is only using it for AO so it's not really a good example of the benefits of raytracing.

Jupiter likes this.
  6. zed

zed
    Veteran

I think they mean next gen compared to previous Halo games, i.e. they're bring Halo up to the level of the God of war, uncharted, horizons etc of the current Gen.

milk and turkey like this.
  7. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-forza-horizon-4-e3-demo-hands-on

Forza Horizon 4's E3 demo delivers a racing masterclass
    Seasons to be cheerful.

We knew that Forza Horizon 4 would be coming to E3 2018, of course. After all, a new Forza game arrives without fail every year, and with Turn 10 revealing Forza Motorsport 7 at the last Microsoft E3 briefing, it would be Playground Games' turn this year. And with that came some trepidation. Forza Horizon 3 was a brilliant game and a massive step forward for the series, but could the developers deliver the same level of technical brilliant and innovations once more? After the astonishing reveal and 20 minutes of hands-on time, the signs are all looking good.

Yes, Forza Horizon 4 is a natural evolution of its predecessor, but with a slew of new visual features and gameplay ideas - and from a technical perspective, there's also the mouthwatering possibilities offered up by the fact that the game is the first in the series to have been created with Xbox One X in mind from the start. This is most evident in the announced frame-rate options. Playground's Ralph Fulton proudly announced that the Xbox One X version of the game will feature a 60fps option which is something we hoped for when Horizon 3 was patched for Xbox One X - but the dream is set to become reality. Details are thin on the ground but logic suggests it'll manifest as a lower resolution, high performance mode while the typical 30fps option goes for native 4K instead.

Shortbread and Silent_Buddha like this.
  8. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Arwin and chris1515 like this.
  9. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

DSoup and Shortbread like this.
  10. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

This is rubbish. Why aren't DF analysing the animation of Phil Spencer during his E3 appearances?

milk likes this.
  11. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I don't think he looks that realistic. He'd be much better rendered if he was in the Sony conference.

I only posted this because I'm stalking you. :p j/k. Just feels like I'm following you around in the threads today. :D

Regards,
    SB

egoless and DSoup like this.
  12. milk

Veteran Regular

The rendering is good, but the animation work is poor. He looks to stiff, and whats up with the underbite? The most realistic CEO rendering is Reggie's. Really looks exactly like a sociopathic mountain troll. 10/10.

13. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Shortbread and chris1515 like this.
  14. chris1515

Veteran Regular

Interesting

15. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

16. AlBran

AlBran ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Moderator Legend

That seems more relevant over there than this general thread.

BRiT likes this.
  17. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I doubt this is the case. More believable is that AMD's next gen graphics architecture was built for console in a general sense. 2/3rds of the Engineering staff devoted to a PS5 GPU when PS4-P still hadn't been announced? It's more believable to think that 2/3rds of the Engineering staff were working on customizations for Sony and Microsoft's upcoming mid-gen consoles as well as potentially prototyping things that might work for their next gen consoles.

Or is it more believable that 1/3 of the engineering staff were working on PC related projects and 2/3rds on a Sony Project while MS just conjures stuff out of thin air with fairy dust and magic? ;)

Regards,
    SB

18. SedentaryJourney

Regular

If the rumour is true then Microsoft are either working with another GPU vendor or they’re late to the game and might want to launch after Sony. I can’t see them going with a lightly customized Vega and outperforming Sony without breaking the bank.

19. turkey

Regular Newcomer

Or they are not going semi custom to any great level and are going discreet chips, further closing the gap between Xbox on console and pc.

Tkumpathenurpahl likes this.
  20. Tkumpathenurpahl

Regular Newcomer

I'm thinking a Steam machine approach, except, it'll actually be well executed.

With X1X as the minimum spec.