Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

Did I forget to mention we have a rigorous 30 day application process where you must code to the death with other candidates in a no holds barred programming cage fight?

Anything goes-to, where an unholy union of un structured chaos breaks upon you. For no pointers given xor catches in place, a new class of virtual destruction awaits.

I'm only capable of pidgin programming, but if I kill everyone else in the cage, do I win by default?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...e-informer-june-cover-revealed-days-gone.aspx

Sony has shown off Days Gone at E3 over the past couple of years, but we didn’t fully appreciate what Sony Bend is doing until after we played it ourselves. We learned more about the game’s biker protagonist, Deacon St. John, and his broken world – and experienced some of the brutal lengths he’s willing to go in order to keep his friends safe. We also have a better understanding of how exploration, story, and action interlock to tell what could be one of the genre’s most consistent narrative experiences.

From tomorrow coverage of the game like spiderman last month

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/daysgone.aspx

Last edited:
Nice tidbit of gameplay. though ti's a bit weird to see all the cuts from cutscene to gameplay after playing GOW lol. I wish more games could use GOW's way of no cut with cutscene to gameplay. I think GTA V and Uncharted 4 too had nice transition.
I like what Bend did with Unreal Engine 4 engine. Character models look really nice.

I saw many negative coments in the youtube version of the 1h demo. Describing gfx issues and glitches. I just skimed through the thing but it looked stellar to me. Is it really that unpolished. I was only bothered by some jarring cutscene transitions, as mentioned, but nothing else really... I hope they can improve on that, but honestly, that doesnt feel like something they can fix well in a short time frame. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

I thought the 1 hour gameplay looked great, very nice graphics, top notch voice over, very immersive, beautiful environment, creepy enemy design, a few things needs work are the cutscene to gameplay transition, it's too jarring as most people have pointed out, some janky running animation and a few framerate hiccups here and there. Can't wait to see more horde gameplay, that's the thing that really gets my hair standing up.

I was only bothered by some jarring cutscene transitions

I generally despise when a game constantly takes the controls away for most of the dialog sequences especially in the non safe areas of a game world. Its been established that you can have dialog during gameplay be just as meaningful, so why they go back to this is really head scratching. While they say the world is going to be "dangerous", the player can tackle a situation x/y/z and the choices have consequences (which is no different from what any other game promises) I didn't really get to see that in the demo. Just because I can get to an objective in many different ways doesn't mean any of them are going to be meaningful or stimulating from a gameplay stand point other than a fast way or a slower way. If the world is going to be dangerous and choices mattering then the game is going to have to real consequences that are going to make the player have a hard time choosing between them rather than, "I get more needless shit from doing it this way".

Thats not to say the game isn't going to deliver on any of this (its an alpha of the beginning of a game) but it would have been nice of them to show instances of what they mean when they say our game is going to be different then the standard open world scavenge and crafting games that plague the market right now. As of right they didn't convince me it wouldn't be another UBI-bored style game or its ilk.

I watched the whole 50 minute thing and it boggles the mind that Sony are working on two post-apocalyptic zombie-esque games with stealth-survival-crafting and some combat as the primary gaming elements. I mean, even some of the scavenging items icons (the cogwheels for example) were so similar and the setups. One of the devs even used the "wide linear" phrase used so much by Uncharted 4 devs when explaining a linear goal, or optional paths through an area, which yoy just know will be in TLoU2 because there were in TLoU2 on a smaller scale.

Sure, they'll probably play quite a bit differently, but how does this even happen? :oops: Maybe the games will diverge completely when Days Gone opens up it's world, assuming TLoU2 isn't also much more open.

The last time Sony did something like this was DriveClub and Gran Turismo and we know how that worked out for the smaller studio. RIP Evolution Studio :cry:

And these types of games are so in my wheelhouse; post-apocalytic zombie-esque-survial-crafty games are a huge amount of my gaming time. :yep2: But.. so similar. :-|

The last time Sony did something like this was DriveClub and Gran Turismo and we know how that worked out for the smaller studio. RIP Evolution Studio :cry:

And these types of games are so in my wheelhouse; post-apocalytic zombie-esque-survial-crafty games are a huge amount of my gaming time. :yep2: But.. so similar. :-|
And they are demoing Last of Us 2 this E3! Way to risk ruining this game's market potential.

Back