Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, around the release of the FuryX, a lot of people did testing of CU utilisation on GCN and they found out that it requires proportionally more bandwidth to get proper utilisation and reach similar performance like its Maxwell cousins. Its straight bandwidth is not 'necessarily' always a great comparison against NV cards... especially since it is dedicated bandwidth there.
I'm not sure how to account for this.

ROPS are of course one thought process. The other is CPU, in which higher settings could impact the load. Outside of that, it's hard to see where PS4 Pro would offer a substaintial improvement aside from maybe RPM? But we know it's employed on a few titles like Wolf2, but we aren't seeing anything significant that we can attribute it to. Unless RPM and Low precision blending go together like peanut butter and jam.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-final-fantasy-15-xbox-one-x-report

"Well, the results are in and while the upgrade lives up to expectations in many, many ways, there are a number of small issues that do need addressing. As expected, Xbox One X delivers the same three modes as the Pro. High centres on delivering the best quality visuals with a 30fps target, while steady drops back resolution to 1080p and targets the base consoles' visual feature set. Completing the line-up is 'lite', which unlocks the frame-rate. In terms of visual features, both steady and lite modes are much the same between Pro and X - it's the all-important high quality setting that truly sets them apart."

Seems like the key difference is 4Pro using CheckerBoard while OneX is using native. It also seems to be the mode that DF prefers.

"By and large though, high mode on Xbox One X is the best way to play Final Fantasy 15 on consoles - you get a more refined version of the PS4 Pro game, without its frame-pacing judder."

There seems to be additional bugs in the game depending on how long you play.

Image Quality said:
The key difference here is that Sony's super-charged PlayStation 4 is using checkerboard rendering while - again, contrary to Tabata's quote - Xbox One X delivers native resolution. The presentation is far, far clearer than the Pro and there are no discernible checkerboard artefacts anywhere in the presentation, any softness seeming to derive from the temporal anti-aliasing solution.

So, basically, while the pixel counts are essentially the same, the Xbox One X game is much cleaner. This extends to other details like texture filtering, which is increased slightly on Xbox One X, enabling sharper texture detail throughout the world. Shadow quality also receives a nice bump with distant shadows exhibiting more detail on Xbox One X at a greater distance. It's an impressive jump.

That's not to say image quality is great, mind you. Once you start moving, the lower quality temporal anti-aliasing and motion blur work together to introduce plenty of pixilation into the image. Overall though, from our perspective, Xbox One X offers the better experience - high mode suffers from no frame-pacing issues at all, the visual feature set is tweaked for the better, and there are no checkerboard side effects to contend with. One area that doesn't impress is the UI - it's of 1080p standard, and upscales poorly on the 4K mode.

Engine Bugs said:
The second performance issue manifests when playing the game for a long time, and may be related to using the console's sleep mode. We noted frame-rate drops to the low 20s even in relatively light areas, never recovering back to the target 30fps. It was severe enough to make us pause, save the game and restart, which completely solved the issue. Needless to say, this is rather strange and we hope that Square-Enix takes some time to look into both of these issues - sorting them would add the final layer of polish to what is otherwise a superb port.

Latest Update on DF article on Project Cars 2: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-cars-2-xbox-one-x-vs-ps4-pro-analysis

UPDATE 26/11/17 7:22pm: Project Cars 2 will be updated on Xbox One X with new features including enhanced resolution, enhanced visuals or enhanced performance. These features are actually available in the recently released playable demo, but aren't in the main game yet, which is why we missed it. This puts a new complexion on the title and we will update as soon as we can with a fresh analysis.

Latest Update on DF article on Project Cars 2: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-cars-2-xbox-one-x-vs-ps4-pro-analysis

UPDATE 26/11/17 7:22pm: Project Cars 2 will be updated on Xbox One X with new features including enhanced resolution, enhanced visuals or enhanced performance. These features are actually available in the recently released playable demo, but aren't in the main game yet, which is why we missed it. This puts a new complexion on the title and we will update as soon as we can with a fresh analysis.
Lol. I'm SMH right now.

Demo was released after John finished the article and the demo is of a newer build that's not available yet on any platform.

PS4 demo also has these settings. Someone at resetera (edit: member chandoog) posted some screens of the demo on Pro and it seems to be 1080p in enhanced visual mode, 1440p in resolution mode, and somewhere in-between in performance mode.

Last edited:
Demo was released after John finished the article and the demo is of a newer build that's not available yet on any platform.

PS4 demo also has these settings. Someone at resetera posted some screens of the demo on Pro and it seems to be 1080p in enhanced visual mode, 1440p in resolution mode, and somewhere in-between in performance mode.
Aren't those the settings that they have today?

Aren't those the settings that they have today?

Not in the full game, supposedly. But the newer demo built hit Friday evening on Xbox (and maybe PlayStation as well)

I'm assuming what they tested on Xbox one x is the enriched setting. Will be interesting to see how each of the three modes match up.

The older engine that they tested didn't seem to really give you a choice, but from the description it might have been the developers first pass at an "enhanced visuals and resolution". It's hard to tell without doing a deeper comparison between "enhanced visuals", "enhanced resolution" and the older build currently in the game.

ahh sigh... will be interesting to see what happens. Surprised they put out a patch for 1X and then yet another build for a demo, and now another patch for 1X. Seems like... $$$ that could have been saved somewhere there or something.

Wasn't Project Cars a kickstarter thing?...

Who knows how much of a budget they are working with..

Well if it was, they must have made enough to move forward onto the next revision, as this is a sequel to it being named Project Cars 2. :p

Well if it was, they must have made enough to move forward onto the next revision, as this is a sequel to it being named Project Cars 2. :p
Right but it's not like they have the backing of a major publisher as far as I know. Apparently the first game was made for $5million...so...

Lets try to stick to the technical aspect discussions and keep the Public-Relations comments and nature out of it.

Seems like the key difference is 4Pro using CheckerBoard while OneX is using native. It also seems to be the mode that DF prefers.

"By and large though, high mode on Xbox One X is the best way to play Final Fantasy 15 on consoles - you get a more refined version of the PS4 Pro game, without its frame-pacing judder."

There seems to be additional bugs in the game depending on how long you play.

You're talking about "high mode" which has resolution and visual differences between the 2 consoles. I'm talking about "steady mode", which is identical on both platforms. It's just the base Xbox One/PS4 visual settings at native 1080p, and is meant to deliver a solid 30fps over everything else. My point was that Xbox One X still performs worse even in this mode, which would point to a bottleneck somewhere that doesn't exist on PS4 Pro.

Lol. I'm SMH right now.
Why? What should DF have done? The patch isn't out for the game, only the demo has these options, at least on xbox.
i don't mind options but they're dumb if performance is not stable.
Well, you now have 3 modes: enhanced framerate, enhanced visuals and enhanced resolution. The demo only allows races with 12-16 cars, so this is not the same as digital foundrys stress test. I couldn't identify a lot of differences between 'visuals' and 'resolution', the only noticeable framedrop was in 'visuals' and rainy conditions at the first corners. Resolution in 'framerate' mode seems locked but the aliasing is really bad, i would not be surprised if it is lower than 1080p. Some alpha effects (spray from water, brake smoke) visibly affects geometry behind, so probably runs at half resolution.
Back to the options. I think it gives the user the chance to run at 'resolution' mode in normal races and 'framerate' in stressed situations (thunderstorm, 32 cars, etc.). And there are a lot of other graphic options as well. There are a lot of long days ahead for DF if they want to try all combinations ;)
I like Forzas implementation more, but the Project Car guys have just a different philosophy.

The demo is pretty good, try it!

Why? What should DF have done? The patch isn't out for the game, only the demo has these options, at least on xbox.
DF is fine. It's us I'm SMH. Claim is that there is a pattern, but there wasn't one. We all got to work. And the warning signs were there, we just didn't heed it. Gubbi said it earlier that it wasn't a ROP issue. We saw another claim by global and it wasn't enough to be proof of an alpha problem, anything could be the problem really. Hell resolution mode vs quality mode lol.

Now we're gonna get this next patch and bam, like TF2, I'm willing to wager, it's going to be how we would have expected it to be. 60fps. Especially now that DF highlighted the pain pints. Wasted effort on our part.

Well, you now have 3 modes: enhanced framerate, enhanced visuals and enhanced resolution...

I wouldn't buy Project Cars anyway, but it's just a general belief on my part that games should have stable performance. If all three modes are pretty close to a locked framerate, then fine. But if any of the three options have frame drops up to 15 fps, like the current version for 1X, then they aren't viable options. At least not to me. I'd rather have one stable option than three that are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back