XBox One Backwards Compatibility and Xbox One X Enhancements for X360 and OG (XO XOX BC)

So the rumour was true but it's only 4 games...which probably means the enhancements require some extra work per game and are not universally applied via the emulator?..

For HDR TVs?
im really tired, my new born did not sleep last night. Daddy brain. LOL. Maybe I am reading the question wrong.

Some titles now have 10-bit color depth unlocked where they previously had 8-bit, others have HDR lighting enabled, and all have nine times the on-screen pixels. I got to see Halo 3 running in a developer mode that clearly showcased the difference. The left half of the screen was standard Xbox 360 emulation on Xbox One, which already offers framerate smoothing and other subtle benefits. On the right it had HDR and the 9x pixel count.

http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2017/10/23/4-xbox-360-games-getting-xbox-one-x-enhancements

I felt this part of the ign article was eye brow inducing alongside the silicon admission

With hundreds of Xbox 360 games under their belts and their process honed to a ‘T’ – the crew wrote a white paper for Xbox developers on how to best write code that will stand the test of time going forward, compatibility-wise,

starting to make more sense why the emulation hasn't hit PC yet, with the admission of hardware support to enable BC. I'm not sure what they did, but it's clear they did have to make some customization to Jaguar and possibly the GPU to support these features.

Moving forward those customization are going to need to continue into each SoC Microsoft releases. That's pretty interesting as a discussion topic, as it applies into next generation as well. They're telling developers of today how to code their games to be compatible for the future. That means they have a road map of how this will work already for next gen even without the hardware being finalized. That's something for us to work with, at least with respect to MS future desires in the compatibility space.

At the very least it does indicate a 'generation' of sorts. Next gen hardware can play all the old titles, seems to be the commitment being discussed here. And as per the older commentary on devices, controllers and devices move forward as well. Hmm, sounds good.

Amazing technical feat to also support 1X enhanced versions of those 360 titles, it's visually quite an improvement. I guess I was slightly let down as I was hoping for those insane hi-res textures too ;) That PS3 emulator sold me, damn that was awesome.

Last edited:
Dynamic Res + framecap options would be the low hanging fruit though I'm sure they mean more complicated things related to architecture and hardcoded assumptions. :p
hmm ;) I was thinking along the lines of enabling superior versions of their older titles as newer hardware arrives. But yea ;P
If the game contracts are supporting BC/perpetuity now, that makes for a reason for developers to develop with this idea of having the game immediately look better as soon as new hardware arrives.

hmm ;) I was thinking along the lines of enabling superior versions of their older titles as newer hardware arrives. But yea ;P
If the game contracts are supporting BC/perpetuity now, that makes for a reason for developers to develop with this idea of having the game immediately look better as soon as new hardware arrives.
In terms of including hooks to increase various settings in a future patch? They'd maybe have to hide higher presets so things don't explode on the older hardware or just leave it to a future patch.

I suppose there's the dynamic quality setting that we see in Forza PC, but I'm not sure how they go about that on console right now, plus it could be rather difficult for other games that are less predictable in the types of scenes.

In terms of including hooks to increase various settings in a future patch? They'd maybe have to hide higher presets so things don't explode on the older hardware or just leave it to a future patch.
yea that's what I'm alluding to. Games can have their variables tweaked outside of the VM. Developers would select a hardware profile (XBO, 1S, 1X) and link that profile to a configuration file. Your device will read the game, and identify which profile it should run and run that profile. A little bit like what we see happening with 1X and 1S today. This also bodes well for titles that will be released on future hardware and that they also want released on older hardware (the hardware transition period), it's all about adding more profiles, or at least the profiles you want to support rather.

Would be pretty useful for games that have long term support, like MMOs or GAAS or costume games.
When it comes to the maturity level of their BC functionality, it's quite a few steps ahead of just, "we support last gens game". I hate using the term maturity model, since it's pretty corporate, but that's what we're seeing here. Baseline is having last gen's BC games work. But having all generations run everywhere is probably the 'level 5' goal lol.

They are definitely building up a functionality level that will enable games to be played in perpetuity. Using MMO and GaaS is a pretty good example. If you look at how far WoW and say Warframe and EvE Online have come. They're so old that they've been given a graphical overhaul to support next generation hardware.

So the rumour was true but it's only 4 games...which probably means the enhancements require some extra work per game and are not universally applied via the emulator?..
Per Albert Penello on tiwtter, it's not just the 4 demoed, but not all games either. He says that the games must be made in a certain way, but pretty much all native 720p get to render on 4k (his wording makes it seem that some non native games will also get 9 times the resolution boost, but not all)

Per Albert Penello on tiwtter, it's not just the 4 demoed, but not all games either. He says that the games must be made in a certain way, but pretty much all native 720p get to render on 4k (his wording makes it seem that some non native games will also get 9 times the resolution boost, but not all)

Yeah just seen that tweet actually. Curious as to what 'characteristics' the game has to have in order for it to work...

Back