What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sundered. Really cool game. It crashed 5 times just yesterday but the devs. Tweeted the devs, they replied straight away that they will patch it early this week. Result!

Still with Final Fantasy II (NES). There was a point were I didn't find a place with balanced enemies which I could combat without losing, so the idea of fighting my own characters in battles with lesser creatures came to me, haha. That way I could up the HP of all characters and then go against stronger enemies.

By the way, I was honoured to witness the first (unexpected) appearance of the chocobo in the series. ^_^ I was so thrilled, haha.

Sundered. Really cool game. It crashed 5 times just yesterday but the devs. Tweeted the devs, they replied straight away that they will patch it early this week. Result!

I played it up until the first real boss and thought it was pretty much a game design disaster from top to bottom. Character controls are loose and floaty, combat is flashy yet about as involved as holding down x in Daiblo3. Every once in a while the game just floods the screen with enemies (many of which will gladly attack you from far off screen and often from behing locked doors) and pummel you until you're dead. Level design might as well not exist because half the enemies can just phase through walls and ignore it anyway. Whether you survive or not isn't really about skill but about finding a spot where you can hopefully cheese them to death. That's not even factoring in the abysmal framerates (on the original PS4) the game drops down to whenever you need the performance to be stable. The loading times are absurd as well. Bloody game needs 30 seconds before the loading bar even shows up. And then you got another 30+ seconds to go from there. For a game that's pretty much built around dying in order to spend points on a convoluted upgrade screen with nothing remotely interesting on it.

It looks kinda nice at times (wildly uneven though). That's about as much as I'm willing to concede

I Agree with you on a few things. the game has been patched so it crashes *less*, but still does. Loading times are just ridiculous. But I love it and already finished it twice (going for platinum...)

I heard that both framerates and loading times are supposedly better on PS Pro. You are on PS Pro, right? Nevertheless, when a game like Guacamelee can hit a perfect 60 fps on the PSVita, this thing should run like a dream on the base PS4. And it's not even a Unity game I think ;)

Well, I fired up Just Cause 3 cause it was free his month on Plus, and I basically haven't stopped playing for a few days. It's silly, brainless fun, and after so many complicated and brain melting games, it's a very welcome break. Drive or fly around, make things explode, next.
And it runs much better than I read on reviews and on here. Maybe it's a Pro thing.

Well, I fired up Just Cause 3 cause it was free his month on Plus, and I basically haven't stopped playing for a few days. It's silly, brainless fun, and after so many complicated and brain melting games, it's a very welcome break. Drive or fly around, make things explode, next.
And it runs much better than I read on reviews and on here. Maybe it's a Pro thing.
It is. There are substantial improvements in performance using the boost mode thanks to the 33% CPU boost.

I've jumped back into JC3, not because of PS+, I already owned it. I bought the three DLC bundle for $10 and the additions are nice. The jet pack and mech are great and make the base game much more fun. I wish I could have unlimited beacons though.

I guess I'm in my final hours in Final Fantasy II (NES original). I'm quite fed up with mazes, honestly. Just when you think you reached the lowest/highest level, there you find another staircase that leads you to yet another level... that won't be the last one. I like the game, but it's getting way too repetitive revisiting the same locations and this maze problem is getting on my nerves...

UPDATE: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU... when I wrote this message half an hour ago I was playing the game. All this time I've been progressing through what I think is the last maze. I lost count on all the doors/levels I've been through. And when I though there were no levels left... there! Another level! I'm so pissed off, really.....................

Last edited:
And done. A relatively easy battle against the final boss...

Well, now I will have to beat FF III, the last NES installment, until I move to prettier things (SNES and up :mrgreen:).

Finished the uncharted game SP. Liked it even more than UC4...amazing.

Trying out Paladins...nice break from Overwatch, also shows how good OW is.

Bought Nier Automata...wtf, no constant quick save!! But crazy cool so far.

And of course preordered Destiny 2! Captain America, here I come!

I think I'm in my final hours with Bioshock. I felt disconnected to the game for a few months, and I didn't play, but now I just want to get home to keep on playing.

Finished the uncharted game SP. Liked it even more than UC4...amazing.
The first one, you mean?

Sonic Mania.
Quite enjoyable. That said, I think Sonic's always had game design issues. The 3d games compounded the inherent problems further, but they've really been there ever since the series' 1991 debut. The game has essentially two modes: It's got the lightning fast passages which are quite exhilerating (and the devs did their utmost to make these passages varied), but they are also largely on auto pilot (just like in the 3d games) and only really serve to break up the parts of the game where your skilled inputs are needed. Now those parts are quite sluggish and finicky, and they're also what the majority of the game's about. To make matters even worse, the ratio between fast and sluggish gets ever more lopsided the further you progress into the game.

Last edited:
I'm playing Doom 3. While the graphics have largely held up pretty well, it's not very good at all. It feels like an N64 game: poor visibility, cramped rooms and hallways, very few enemies to interact with at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back