BitBoys

Quitch

Veteran
Who are the BitBoys, and what's this on-going joke about failing to deliver? Sorry, it's been ten months and I just can't take it anymore :)

It's bit stupid to continue to talk about how Bitboys have constantly failed. Lately they have done just fine. 'Boys are working in mobil sector and they have hardware out + plus at least one patent co-authored with Hybrid. They also work with OpenGL ES stuff..

Yeah, but isn't that--like--their first piece of functional, purchasable silicon since their founding, despite going through many phases of enormous hype about completely different-natured projects over the years? :p

cthellis42 said:
Yeah, but isn't that--like--their first piece of functional, purchasable silicon since their founding, despite going through many phases of enormous hype about completely different-natured projects over the years? :p

Beware of the Savitaipale Revenge ™
Nappe1 may be grinding his AXE
:D

rubank said:
cthellis42 said:

Beware of the Savitaipale Revenge â„¢
Nappe1 may be grinding his AXE
:D
:LOL:

Going OT here...
Quitch said:
I read this article, but it never said what happened to AXE. Can I assume it was canned?
A canned axe? Surely that would be like putting a can/tin-opener can/tin?

:devilish: :devilish: :devilish:

just read it from my signature!

rubank and keegdsb: ;)

if you really are interested Bitboys history from the begining of this board to up to date, just use search with my nick as poster and "bitboys" as a keyword. you know I am not forever dumping the information on your laps while you sit and wait fingers crossed. it's time to learn using search! :!:

maybe someday, I'll find some time and write "The Ghost Company Story: Another point of view." But until that day, you have to learn how to use search. :)

EDIT: On a second thought, ( yeah I know, the worst mistake is having second thoughts...) you will be getting something when I am back on my own computer and I have gotten few fans changed to new ones. (bearings are practically gone from my MiproCool fan. it sounds like... umm.. 5800 Ultra. ;) )

Quitch said:
vb said:

I read this article, but it never said what happened to AXE. Can I assume it was canned?

You can't can something that didn't exist.

Bitboys has never been able to send a working product to any company or developer. And I mean never. It's incredible how they still got backing from investors to produce these magical chips.

I guess people are gullible.. Can we say Phantom?

Waltar said:
Quitch said:
vb said:

You can't can something that didn't exist.

Bitboys has never been able to send a working product to any company or developer. And I mean never. It's incredible how they still got backing from investors to produce these magical chips.

You are WRONG. There are working prototype cards for several PC gfx generations, there is also a working mobile(or embedded if you will) chip done with the NEC. That chip has been available for some time.

Either get your facts right, or go away.

Rubank and Keegdsb, can you remember when I talked about a day that I would own something that does not exists?

well here it is! just like Waltar proved these chips can't exist and still I have 2 of them
picture1.jpg

picture2.jpg

so, here you go, two different revisions of chip that doesn't exist. Anyone that want to see them In Live, can come to Kotka, Finland and look me up.

and yes it is the AXE. A-eng is non-working due missing layer (Inifineon screwed that one) and B-eng is claimed to be fully working. (and because of that it is kept in antistatic place for just in case. I never believed to get even chip, so getting a card, as impossible it seems right now, isn't actually impossible, just extremely unlikely.)

This is the closest you can get to the real Bitboys hardware. (or perhaps if you have cellular phone with NEC's LCD panel, maybe that's closer, because your phone may already have Acceleon G10 on it...)

I have seen 2 different PCBs (beta and reference) for AXE and reference was seen live. other features that AXE (acording to my sources) supported included Video Textures, Capability run Video Stream through pixel shader and dual chip implementation. Memory controller unit was heavily updgraded from Glaze and had 11 Channels. Still, the way Axe rendered things has some similarities to Glaze. it had tiled frame buffer and in dual chip mode each chip would have been rendering tiles. simultaneusly. this way only tile had to be able to fit in eDRAM, not the whole frame buffer. (don't ask how it did polygon sorting or did it before decising which polygon was rendered on which tile...) The schedule for Glaze3D to AXE updgrade was VERY ambigious: decision to continue development happened around Feb-March in 2000 and first samples came back from Infineon around Summer 2001. Transistor budget more than quadrupled. if AXE would have been released in autumn 2001 as planned, it would have most likely been the king of the hill with pretty much equal perfomance with Ti4600 that came in Feb 2002. AXE was planned to be able run in dual chip mode, but not even PCB was designed for that. Most likely it was a back up plan if competitors would have been able to beat single AXEs performance. Problems with chip on Bitboys as well as Infineon's side caused the chip delay and the last straw was Infineon's decision shut down the eDRAM line up. Eventually this actually happend a bit earlier than it actually leaked to net. based on things I know AXE's follower plans, it must have been known at Noormarkku as early as September 2001. it is around that time when I first heard about codename 'Hammer' as well as first rumours were flying about Infineon pulling off. (though those were declined back then.) on March 2002, Bitboys were in very bad financial shape. And that situation actually developed something that now known as Acceleon G10. again off the record sources tell that G10 basic construct was designed by single guy during his winter vacation. this small core was then prototyoped and demoed to some company that interested at once and deal was made about Bitboys developing G10 for them. I don't know which company it was but I assume it was NEC. at the Assembly 2002, I was officially off the record confirmed that Bitboys has a deal with NEC, but it took all way to NEC's announcement about they using G10 instead of dummy driver on their LCD displays before it became official deal.

I haven't seen Pyramid3D card, but I know that there was pretty big stack left them when Tritech went bankcrupt. I also know what it could have been capable of and it's only problem was too much on too early. heck, VS 3.0 could have been almost supported on hardware level. only thing preventing full implementation would be the fact that P3D used fixed point calculation on vertex processor, instead of floating point. program lenghts, memory read / write space, conditional jumps, etc were all supported.

so, why they didn't license AXE stuff to other underdogs like Matrox? where are they now? what's the future?
I'll quote myself from another thread...

they are rather busy with next generation handheld / pda chips.

and no signs of coming back on desktop anywhere near by. project codenamed as 'Hammer' was their last effort and was put on ice ("...which means same as scrapping it in this business.") almost 2 years ago.

oh well, while I started this, I can reveal something new as well. acording to two different sources, Bitboys and Matrox were having negotiations about possibility licensing some BB tech around 1 year ago to get Parhelia II saved as R&D project, but it all died on M's management ideology that is known as NIH. I am not sure what was the level of the negotiations were done and I don't know exactly how serious try it was, but eventually it was last nail on two coffins... Matrox 'Pitou' and to get something out of an AXE.

without a doubt, Bitboys guys have still the same enthuastic attitude they have had since demo scene times, but right now they are funded with their products and they never made a cent out of PC stuff, so it will most likely need very big stack of cash and request / order outside the company to a new try PC market.

here's the stuff for now, hopefully you can make a fine flamewar out of it. ;)

eSa: I'll let you know when *you know what group of ppl* is meeting at Tampere Area... I bet you are enthuastic to see those taffel chips as well. ;)

Yeah, but um... Were they in any products? That sold? With any kind of volume?

People have Voodoo5 6000's as well, but that hardly qualifies. Heck, the 5800 almost doesn't! :p

I certainly imagine they produced some silicon, but did they ever bring about product? Was there performance measuring of the chips in a whole device, rather than guesswork from paper stats or testing chips and extrapolating, without really touching the software later? (We all have seen how well THOSE work.)

NEC ELECTRONICS ANNOUNCES MOBILE PHONE DISPLAY INCORPORATING ACCELEON GRAPHICS PROCESSOR

ESPOO, FINLAND – OCTOBER 6, 2003 –NEC Electronics Corporation announced an advanced mobile phone display IC semiconductor product utilizing the Acceleon G10™ graphics processor developed by Bitboys Oy. The display IC product is part of a mobile phone display module, one of the assembly components used when building a mobile handset. The display module contains the actual display and the control logic required to drive the display.

The Bitboys Acceleon G10â„¢ graphics processor core has been integrated into the display IC by NEC Electronics. Previously all graphics rendering operations have been performed by the mobile phone CPU, which is typically designed for phone-related operations only. The Acceleonâ„¢ graphics processor on the display IC offloads the complex graphics rendering tasks from the CPU by moving all these operations to a dedicated hardware component.

The Acceleon G10â„¢ is capable of rendering high-quality, full-color graphics images and animations at interactive frame-rates, with very high visual quality and low power consumption. The capabilities of this graphics processor are used for content such as interactive visual applications, interactive maps, next-generation mobile games, cartoons and for the entire visual user interface.

“By combining the Acceleonâ„¢ graphics processor technology with our advanced display IC technology, we have created a revolutionary product for the mobile phone market,†says Kazumichi Aoki, General Manager of 5th System LSI Division, 2nd Business Development Operations Unit, NEC Electronics Corporation. “This new product allows us to provide an immediate solution for graphics acceleration for mobile handsets, with straightforward integration and short time-to-market. The product is available now.â€

The Acceleon G10â„¢ is part of a complete family of graphics processors for mobile handsets. The Acceleonâ„¢ family supports all mobile phone graphics standards and extends to support full, real-time 3D graphics rendering on mobile handsets.

“We are delighted to announce the availability of a semiconductor product based on an Acceleon™ graphics processor. The immediate availability of this product allows device manufacturers to provide a graphics acceleration capability on mobile handsets with very short time-to-market,†says Petri Nordlund, CTO of Bitboys Oy.

The Acceleonâ„¢ graphics processors are available today for licensing. For further information, please visit the Acceleonâ„¢ website: http://www.acceleon.com. For licensing, please contact Mr. Petri Nordlund of Bitboys Oy at +358-40-823 1671 / petri.nordlund@bitboys.com.

For information about NEC Electronics Corporation, visit www.necel.com.

About Bitboys Oy
Bitboys is a graphics hardware company, focused on the optimization of graphics performance within tight space, power and size constraints. Founded in 1991, with offices in Noormarkku and Espoo in Finland, Bitboys Oy is a boutique design laboratory with a decade of experience in graphics research and hardware development.

http://www.necel.com/en/news/archive/0310/0202.html

Back