PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And again, I think not running games in a more virtualized environment (the overhead should almost negligible at the level of performance we are at today) and not demanding more robust programing practices is a big oversight for a company that had the idea of a ps4+ kicking around. Maybe they didn't do it to not give that idea away too much. But yeah, I think from ps5 onwards, both sony and devs will learn to make that stuff more future-proof.

I think that Xbox S taught us that the GPU at least was in a environment decoupled from frequency. But probably not the CPU or else they would have overclocked it too.

Yes it does. No ideas on the usage distribution of the two though.

And again, I think not running games in a more virtualized environment (the overhead should almost negligible at the level of performance we are at today) and not demanding more robust programing practices is a big oversight for a company that had the idea of a ps4+ kicking around. Maybe they didn't do it to not give that idea away too much. But yeah, I think from ps5 onwards, both sony and devs will learn to make that stuff more future-proof.
It's hard to say really without some Devs coming in and specifically citing instances. What tends to happen is that flexibility is a trade off for performance.

If Sony did not go into this generation with the idea of these mid generation consoles it's possible they developed the APIs for maximum performance meaning developers could hack/(non traditional ways of coding things to gain cycles) their way to higher performance if they really needed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You only need one little bit of a game to be highly optimised for the thing to break. And you only need that on a reasonable percentage of notable titles for it to be a problem.

You only need one little bit of a game to be highly optimised for the thing to break. And you only need that on a reasonable percentage of notable titles for it to be a problem.

This. I can't imagine the internet outrage if some games didn't even work on the Neo. And the frequency patent is most probably for the CPU, same frequency on the GPU with increased number of CUs would still offer significantly increased performance.

Last edited:
This. I can't imagine the internet outrage if some games didn't even work on the Neo. And the frequency patent is most probably for the CPU, same frequency on the GPU with increased number of CUs would still offer significantly increased performance.
There is a spoof clock on the GPU too. Check the diagram of my previous post.

Anyway we were wondering how they were going to make GCN1 games work on GCN4 tech...now we can guess the beginning of an answer:

Spoof clocked hardware BC. :LOL:

I wonder how much it work/time it would take to optimize a PS4 game and give it a neo mode? GTA 5, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Doom...would be games nice to see optimized for neo but not holding my breath. Especially since im guessing neo mode would just be patched into the original ps4 game game it won't exactly spur that many new sales...

I'm guessing Sony will optimize most of it's games so that it has neo mode. I would imagine Uncharted 4 is optimized for neo as we speak.

I wonder how much it work/time it would take to optimize a PS4 game and give it a neo mode? GTA 5, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Doom...would be games nice to see optimized for neo but not holding my breath. Especially since im guessing neo mode would just be patched into the original ps4 game game it won't exactly spur that many new sales...

I'm guessing Sony will optimize most of it's games so that it has neo mode. I would imagine Uncharted 4 is optimized for neo as we speak.
You mean recompile ?
Because that should be enough to improve performance a lot if latest leaks are to be trusted.

6 TF with AMD's currently released GCN cores (Polaris) is going to be at least 170 watts on its own. The Rx 480 with less than 6 TF is already ~170 watts. Now add in the rest of the systems components and a 6 TF PS4 is likely to be over 200 watts.

I'd say there's a much better chance of Sony releasing a 4.4 TF Neo around 150-160ish watts.

Regards,
SB

I could see 4.6Tflops. That would mean 1GHZ clock for gpu.

PS4 neo licorice layer cake...hmmm. Not sure I like! :p

Hopefully the slant is not as pronounced as in orignal PS4 (can't really call it "phat", if neo is 3cm thicker); it would make for a quite deep system for little reason. I like straight sides; it saves space and makes unit look nice and symmetrical when standing vertically.

I understand that latency will be different with GCN4 instead of GCN1.1. But why would the latency be different for the CPU if they are going to use the same Jaguar?
The CPU is clocked 30% higher. Cycle counters would go by 30% faster. Code that calculates time elapsed from a platform-fixed clock speed is going to be thrown off.

No spoof clock for the memory on the document. So this could mean memory bandwidth improved from 176GB/s to 218GB/s by default for all OG PS4 games.
I'm not sure there are instructions outside of development debugging instructions that would track the memory controller.
There are CPU and GPU instructions that do, and elements of HSA and other platforms that do, so keeping the hardware that hangs of it in check should make memory (already fuzzy in its behavior) transparent as long as it remains as fast or faster.
The initial introduction of dynamic clock adjustments caused problems when the cycle counters incremented every clock cycle, and that could be several times slower than expected or values could diverge after multiple cores came into play.
This seems to be a conservative way to avoid breaking anything built with the PS4's specifics in mind.

Someone did a mockup on neogaf of the new Foxconn worker sketch.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215317368&postcount=3876
The leaker later commented about the mockup...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215334966&postcount=4040
1. button on the first layer, not second.
2. light bar(?) together with button
3. 2 USB, at layer 2
4. disc drive at layer 1
5. power plug (that hole) bigger than OG PS4
6. White logo
7. Weight 4500g

That's really heavy. Maybe it's the special edition with a cast iron griddle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back