Xbox One Slim

That might just be a dedicated port for Kinect, but if there is an adapter like @iroboto said, then it's likely a normal USB port but without the additional power requirements for Kinect. The Adapter will likely be similar to the X360 Kinect adapter where it plugged into the USB port and then the wall socket to provide the additional power required for Kinect.

Or maybe there will be a mini-kinect that requires less power since the IR Blaster is now part of the base console?

The Kinect adapter is also going to free as well, but I think you need to request it via MS.

Here's the official Link to the Xbox One S Kinect Adapter:

How to use an Xbox One Kinect Sensor with an Xbox One S console

To use your existing Xbox One Kinect Sensor with a new Xbox One S console, you will need the Xbox Kinect Adapter. This adapter lets you connect your Xbox One Kinect Sensor to the Xbox One S console.

This adapter will be available for free to customers who have an existing Xbox One console, an Xbox One Kinect and an Xbox One S console. Check back on this page when you have your Xbox One S console to order your free adapter. You will need the serial number for all three devices to get the free Xbox Kinect Adapter.

Dang should I upgrade to this just to get the UHD BR player? $300 is pretty cheap for a UHD player and xbox one.

But Scorpio is only 1.5 years away lol

Decisions decisions.

I didn't read anything about the press conferences. So a new Xbox will play 4K video but not improved gaming performance?

Presumably only 4k video streams, not the UHD Blu Ray drive?

I didn't read anything about the press conferences. So a new Xbox will play 4K video but not improved gaming performance?

Presumably only 4k video streams, not the UHD Blu Ray drive?

Ugh... there is a UHD BR drive. It's in the xbox.com press release.

I can't find any official statement saying it plays UHD Bluray.

But that's a very good deal if true.

It does.

First thing almost they put in the trailer was UHD BluRay playback I'm pretty sure.

It's an excellent deal.

Also supports HDR.

Spencer showing the new S:
- IR blaster without kinect
- Controller has wireless + bluetooth, no dongle needed, use for PC as well
- HDR now available for devs to use
- Scorpio tidbits: breaks the old h/w generation cycle, onramp for VR (does not say specifically which h/w), everything for OG xbox one supported on scorpio
- Xbox h/w team thinking about new tech and not just how to drive cost down (ie the S)

- Xbox h/w team thinking about new tech and not just how to drive cost down (ie the S)

He actually seemed to imply that not only would they continue to think about cost and size reductions after a console launch but would also be thinking of the next iteration.

It makes it sound like going forward the current plan is that every X interval, there will be a shrink of the current console coinciding with the introduction of a new console. So you will always have 2 console "generations" overlapping. Pretty much what I was suggesting would be a good practice in other threads. Any console investment by a consumer can last the full "traditional" console cycle if they want. But they have the option to upgrade their experience at smaller intervals if they wish.

So at the very minimum any given console will have the same length of support as a traditional console cycle.

Regards,
SB

That's correct. New hardware tech every 4 years or so as innovation in that space makes sense, continually maintaining a 2-3 console overlap in forward compatibility support for games, os, etc. And you'd assume back compat covers more generations. Pretty much just like every mobile and PC platform in the world today.

hmmm. On one hand the "smart" thing to do seems to be wait for a year and half for Scorpio. But on the other hand maybe it's better to buy consoles on the cheaper/smaller/more extensive and mature library part of the iteration (ie Xbox One S).

The way they are setting up the Xbox One S at lower price point in the "Xbox console family" means it can give Microsoft an excuse to price the more powerful Scorpio at $599.

hmmm. On one hand the "smart" thing to do seems to be wait for a year and half for Scorpio. But on the other hand maybe it's better to buy consoles on the cheaper/smaller/more extensive and mature library part of the iteration (ie Xbox One S).

The way they are setting up the Xbox One S at lower price point in the "Xbox console family" means it can give Microsoft an excuse to price the more powerful Scorpio at $599.
I doubt they will go that high.

Maybe $499 max?

It is a good deal for the approximately 4 people in the known universe that want a UHD Bluray. Seriously, what sort of luddite do you have to be to want a physical video medium?

Currently there are UHD BluRay Players on Amazon that are around $330 - $350 price range, so one that can play X360 and XBox One Games for $299 is a good deal.

Back