News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The playing a XBO game in a virtual theatre made me cringe.

It could have pretty good applications for multiplayer. Imagine playing a multiplayer game over Live where your mates are sitting next to you on the virtual couch? Obviously it would just be their avatars but their head and to a lesser extent, hand movements could still be mapped into the virtual world so they could still turn to talk you you or move the controller about as they play in excitement/frustration, while the positional audio would also fool you into thinking they were seated next to you. But all the while you would each have your own view of the game even though you're "both in the same room looking at the same TV". Only problem would be the presumably crappy resolution of the game on the virtual TV.

It could have pretty good applications for multiplayer. Imagine playing a multiplayer game over Live where your mates are sitting next to you on the virtual couch? Obviously it would just be their avatars but their head and to a lesser extent, hand movements could still be mapped into the virtual world so they could still turn to talk you you or move the controller about as they play in excitement/frustration, while the positional audio would also fool you into thinking they were seated next to you. But all the while you would each have your own view of the game even though you're "both in the same room looking at the same TV". Only problem would be the presumably crappy resolution of the game on the virtual TV.
lol that's certainly one way to look at it. I'll keep an open mind about it, but I'm not exactly feeling the demo that was displayed earlier.

lol that's certainly one way to look at it. I'll keep an open mind about it, but I'm not exactly feeling the demo that was displayed earlier.
If you have cardboard thats how many of the movie viewers work. Seems to be fine. Id rather play on my home tv. But it could be an option if my gf wanted to watch some bravo show and i wanted to llay an xbox game

Flawed premise that the two are mutually exclusive.

Eh, it was a rather biased article. Really? Halo doesn't have any cache anymore? People aren't going to buy the XB1 because they are so ticked that they bought a timed exclusive for Tomb Raider - but Tomb Raider isn't important anyway? I see those as contradictory positions. Either people love TR enough they are pissed at MS, or nobody buys systems to play TR anyway and nobody cares about waiting.

It makes affirmative, "factual" statements like the Xbox and the total division is a failure and MS is trying to get rid of it, which is pretty much exactly counter to all the other facts stated in the article about the integration of MS gaming through W10 on both the XB1 and the PC.

Finally, there are the struggling fortunes of Xbox One itself. As the firm starts to lose its footing in consumer gaming hardware, it must surely be thinking about how best to cut its losses in the great Xbox experiment. Turning Xbox into a more virtual, device-agnostic platform based on streaming technology will appeal to Microsoft's blue-sky thinkers (some argue that this, or something like it, is what Xbox One was all about from the start, but the strategy was blocked by the U-turn on digital DRM)

The first two sentences are absurd and without factual basis as I mentioned above, and the rest actually admits the first two sentences are garbage and says "Oh yeah, by the way... this might be what MS wanted all along and what they had originally planned for the XB1 before they had to cower under internet fanboy pressure."

Umm.... of course it is, cut it out. MS isn't abandoning Xbox, they are consolidating and strengthening it. The integration between W10 devices and the XB1 opens up worlds of possibilities. In fact, that is the closest integration between devices that we've even seen people whisper about since Sony wanted your TV and refrigerator to have Cell chips in them that could boost the performance of the PS3.

Sure, we've had this conversation before, and there's two or three members of this forum that love hardware and have an emotional attachment to it. To me, the only hardware that matters is the controller. With the release of the dongle for the PC and the bundling of XB1 controllers with Rift, they actually are standardizing the most important piece of hardware in terms of leveling playing fields - the input device.

To summarize, it was a dumb article written by somebody with a clear agenda. They make it clear they understand MS's vision for the Xbox platform, they understand what MS is trying to do and how close they are to accomplishing it, and instead of championing it, they bury it in a "Xbox is dead and MS is backtracking to rid themselves of it as quickly as possible" slant. It's baloney. And not the good kind. Not pimento loaf, the delicious luncheon meat made from baloney with bits of olives embedded into it. No, the rancid, disgusting kind that is slimy because it's been left out on the counter in 90 degree weather for 5 hours.

I do not understand your post.
My first experience with Bluetooth was purchasing a 3COM Bluetooth PCMCIA card for my laptop so it could communicate with my Nokia mobile. I think I still have it somewhere.

bt3comc.jpg

I didn't realise PCs without Bluetooth as standard were still a thing.

The Xbox One is seen as a failure but I have not seen a massive "abandon ship" from publishers/developers like WiiU: that for me will be the sign that XO is a lost cause.
Maybe publishers/developers will abandon it, maybe soon maybe never, but so far Xbox One still has a significant presence/place on the market.
Of course to M$ eye a non profitable console-gaming division is a burden but still what does M$ gets by leaving the console-gaming space?
It's not like there will always be a reserved seat for M$ and they can get back in the game at any time.

The Xbox One is seen as a failure but I have not seen a massive "abandon ship" from publishers/developers like WiiU: that for me will be the sign that XO is a lost cause.
Maybe publishers/developers will abandon it, maybe soon maybe never, but so far Xbox One still has a significant presence/place on the market.
Of course to M$ eye a non profitable console-gaming division is a burden but still what does M$ gets by leaving the console-gaming space?
It's not like there will always be a reserved seat for M$ and they can get back in the game at any time.

1) who says its a failure ? Its been out a year and a half had has sold what 13m to 14m consoles ? Yes the ps4 has sold better but I don't think its a failure and I doubt anyone but console warriors feel the same

2) devs wont abandon them , sony was by millions of units and required a lot more development with the ps3 and they still got support

3) they get nothing for leaving. The xbox is still selling and can still make them money.

There is a long road ahead who knows what will happen

Are they still 'a lot' when you factor them to unit sales? Xbox One is as much of a failure as the PS3 was, in that they were the lead platform in the US and then they weren't. But that's a rather narrow minded view. Has the 360 sales overtaken the Xbox One yet?

It sounds like something exciting at the beginning that will eventually die just like the first experience many had with their Kinect

Are they still 'a lot' when you factor what game do you want to play?

in that case a very very lot, in general a lot
it's not that sony is battling for exclusives as for last gen, are the devs that simply can't afford to go multiplatform and choose the biggest market
I will buy a One, I will enjoy it as a platform, but will miss a lot of games this time

Has the 360 sales overtaken the Xbox One yet?

Worldwide sales during the same period it almost definitely has some time ago.

The Xbox One is holding steady in the US, so there shouldn't be a massive concern.

Don't fully understand the Xbox, Oculus deal. Microsoft puts gamepads in the hand of more PC gamers, which is probably beneficial to their Windows 10 plans. What does Oculus get out of it? Money? Wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement at E3, like Forza being bundled with Oculus on PC.

Don't fully understand the Xbox, Oculus deal. Microsoft puts gamepads in the hand of more PC gamers, which is probably beneficial to their Windows 10 plans. What does Oculus get out of it? Money?
Cheap, high quality controllers for one thing. Maybe some official Windows 10 gaming presence too. Front page Win10 store advertising of the future of gaming reaching hundreds of millions of consumers wouldn't be a bad thing.

It sounds like something exciting at the beginning that will eventually die just like the first experience many had with their Kinect
Yeah, we are talking about VR here, which for many is part of the future, but I think that Oculus should offer something more meaningful in the long run, if not I don't see the point. I commented on the subject in the Halo 5 thread, as if I wouldn't need a new TV if I have a living room for me using that feature. But the reality is that without actual Oculus support I don't see how useful that feature can be.

Maybe they will show Oculus games running on the Xbox One in the E3 2015 conference. It could be more to it. There is this conversation between two old pals on the subject.

Cheap, high quality controllers for one thing. Maybe some official Windows 10 gaming presence too. Front page Win10 store advertising of the future of gaming reaching hundreds of millions of consumers wouldn't be a bad thing.

But isn't Oculus releasing their own controller anyway? Not sure why Oculus needed a gamepad specifically to be bundled. Having used VR, keyboard and mouse is a problem, because you can't see your keyboard. It's easy to hit the wrong key. But I would think their own controller is going to provide a better VR experience than a standard gamepad.

You could be right about marketing. A big official presence in the Windows 10 store could be enough to make the deal worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back